PDA

View Full Version : Homework

primula
28-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Do any of you help with mindees homework? Just wondering if it is something some minders do?

smurfette
28-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Only had one after schooler and didnt do homework with him (age 9) but gave him time and space to do it. He sat down with my girls and got it done, and mum did reading etc with him, I never even checked it just took his word for it he was done. That way can't be blamed if not up to scratch! Don't think it's possible really to go in depth with it. Have u been asked to do it??

primula
28-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Hi Murphf,
Thanks for reply. Havent actually been asked to do it but parent was saying that the child needed extra support at school, they get back late etc... so I was thinking maybe i should?? have 18month old sibling too! He has calmed down a hell of a lot wouldnt even have considered it 6 months ago! just curious as to what other minders do!

clareelizabeth1
29-03-2013, 05:56 AM
I set out time for them to do home work but the school was a bit odd and the children were given a sheet at the start of each term with a list of things to do for homework and they could chose something to do each week. This home work could range from a two page spread about the Tudors to bake a cake and write a step by step guide with pics to go to the park and see how many shapes you can find.

So sometimes I helped other times I kept well away.

lilac_dragon
29-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Before and after school I usually have 2x2 year olds and a 1 year old, plus 4 school age between 5-16 years old. The ages of the schoolies change each day as I have 10 part timers, so different every day. The schoolies have all, apart from 1, been with me from baby age upwards.
With the younger ones, they read to me while I get snack ready or feed baby their tea, and we practise spellings and times tables, - all things I can do while doing something else iyswim.
The older ones do homework if they want to get it over and done with as some of them get home not long before bedtime, I offer suggestions etc but rarely need to do more than that, other than provide reference books (by the wheelbarrow load!) or resources which they help themselves to in the craft room.
I cant help with anything needed on the internet as I only have a computer in the upstairs office and the children aren't allowed in there, but we have so many reference books that it's not been a problem.
The parents all know that the los take priority and I help the schoolies out but expect them to do the work themselves, I'll direct and advise but they have to think for themselves. I also don't INSIST that they get on with homework, it's their choice whether they do it and have more freetime at home and at the weekend, but I'm not Mum! (just feels like it lol)
Hope that helps