PDA

View Full Version : Babysitter!!

Little miss
28-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I had my first real enquiry and a visit from a parent and their child this week. Seemed interested and keen but said she would let me know later in week once she had confirmed her return to work details.
This morning I received an email from same lady explaining her plans had changed and so would not require childcare. She then went on to say that she would stay in touch with me as she would be requiring a baby sitter for when she had hair appointments etc....
I am totally shocked - is this really what people are like? Needless to say at 35 years old, post grad, QTS and registered childminder I shall not be taking her up on her offer.

Mouse
28-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Frustrating as it is, don't rule it out completely. If I have spaces available I'll happily do one-off care so parents can go for appointments or have a bit of child-free time. If they're willing to pay my enhanced rate, I don't care if they think of me as a babysitter!

My permanent parents know the difference and they're the ones that count :thumbsup:

bunyip
29-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Frustrating as it is, don't rule it out completely. If I have spaces available I'll happily do one-off care so parents can go for appointments or have a bit of child-free time. If they're willing to pay my enhanced rate, I don't care if they think of me as a babysitter!

My permanent parents know the difference and they're the ones that count :thumbsup:

I agree. I have absolutely no idea why CMs get so huffy about the word "babysitter". :confused:

Rubybubbles
29-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I agree. I have absolutely no idea why CMs get so huffy about the word "babysitter". :confused:

Really or have I still got sleep in my eyes to see the jest in this?!?

bunyip
29-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Really or have I still got sleep in my eyes to see the jest in this?!?

No. For once, I'm being absolutely serious. :) At the risk of being flamed (and I've upset one or 2 CM friends locally with this particular reality check) here's why:-

I doubt whether the vast majority of parents mean any offence by using the word "babysitter". To most parents, it means something on the lines of "the person with whom I'd gladly trust the most precious possession I'll ever have." But too many CMs choose to take offence and, quite frankly, be rather vain and snobbish about it. Personally, I don't need to look down on babysitters or sneer at them. What maters to me is that I'm doing a damned fine job and the parents are happy with that.

TBH, I know quite a few babysitters who are far better with children than some CMs.

I did plenty of babysitting before I was registered. Quite honestly, I was able to do far more 'educational' stuff with the older ones than I ever get chance to fit in with my current schoolies. And I always regarded the personal trust of parents (including a couple of overseas diplomats) as meaning far more than an Ofsted certificate.

The IHP course I did to become a CM taught me nothing important that I didn't already know about looking after children. I already knew first aid. And, let's be honest, the current qualification standards are not exactly academically demanding.

I think we have this weird collective hang-up that we need to be perceived as "professionals" (as if that means anything) and can achieve it by being rude and paranoid about babysitters, or saying nurseries are rubbish, and some of the other rot I hear in this job. It's also why we currently have NCMA/PACEY floundering in the depths of their own conceit: 're-branding' at a time when we need support and action in the face of government measures to really harm our vocation.

"Handsome is as handsome does." I earn the trust and respect of parents by what I do and how I do it, not by demanding a particular title, nor by denigrating other perfectly good and legitimate child-carers.

Rubybubbles
29-03-2013, 10:54 AM
No. For once, I'm being absolutely serious. :) At the risk of being flamed (and I've upset one or 2 CM friends locally with this particular reality check) here's why:-

I doubt whether the vast majority of parents mean any offence by using the word "babysitter". To most parents, it means something on the lines of "the person with whom I'd gladly trust the most precious possession I'll ever have." But too many CMs choose to take offence and, quite frankly, be rather vain and snobbish about it. Personally, I don't need to look down on babysitters or sneer at them. What maters to me is that I'm doing a damned fine job and the parents are happy with that.

TBH, I know quite a few babysitters who are far better with children than some CMs.

I did plenty of babysitting before I was registered. Quite honestly, I was able to do far more 'educational' stuff with the older ones than I ever get chance to fit in with my current schoolies. And I always regarded the personal trust of parents (including a couple of overseas diplomats) as meaning far more than an Ofsted certificate.

The IHP course I did to become a CM taught me nothing important that I didn't already know about looking after children. I already knew first aid. And, let's be honest, the current qualification standards are not exactly academically demanding.

I think we have this weird collective hang-up that we need to be perceived as "professionals" (as if that means anything) and can achieve it by being rude and paranoid about babysitters, or saying nurseries are rubbish, and some of the other rot I hear in this job. It's also why we currently have NCMA/PACEY floundering in the depths of their own conceit: 're-branding' at a time when we need support and action in the face of government measures to really harm our vocation.

"Handsome is as handsome does." I earn the trust and respect of parents by what I do and how I do it, not by demanding a particular title, nor by denigrating other perfectly good and legitimate child-carers.

fair enough, hope you don't get the 'flame mob' that hang around as you say above!

I am a childminder, and will tell parents as such x

chriss
29-03-2013, 11:12 AM
As along as I'm doing a good job and being paid on time , then am happy. Show me some respect, thats all I ask.

*daisychain*
29-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Most of the African families i know use the word babysitter , I don't take any offence to it personally :)