PDA

View Full Version : Smoking...HELP!

Poppy7
28-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I have recently started my children with a newly registered childminder. They have settled in wonderfully and I'm very happy with the level of care she provides. The children love her too so all very positive.

However.....when I first visited her house it smelt faintly of stale smoke.I asked if she smoked and she said no (I still believe this) she said her husband smokes though but never in the house. They had recently moved in to the house so I thought maybe it was the previous owners that had left the stale smell. I feel very strongly against smoking so a childminder who is a smoker would have be a no-no

Anyway...fast forward a few weeks....my daughter has come home with her clothes smelling very slightly of stale smoke on a few occasions and it is bothering me a lot. A few times when I have dropped her off in the morning a stale smoke smell in the house is obvious. It's never there in the afternoon so I assume it is the CM's husband before he goes to work.

What can I do about this. I hate the thought of my children being around second hand smoke but is it within my rights to forbid them to cmoke in the house, even when my children aren't there?

Please help. I really don't know what to do.

shortstuff
28-03-2013, 05:34 PM
I dont know if there is anything you can do. Have you asked the cm about this? I would suggest that should be your first port of call

lizduncan72
28-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't know what the rules about smoking are in England but in Scotland we have to have a no smoking policy and not allow anyone to smoke around minded children. I would speak to her and ask that her husband not smoke around your daughter

FussyElmo
28-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Seeing as its not there when you go in the afternoon could have it be on the cms husband clothes and if he has picked your dd up passed the smell that way.

I would have thought if there wss someone who smoked in the house the smell would always be there.

I always know when a smoker is in the my house because you can smell it on them.

hectors house
28-03-2013, 05:45 PM
No-one is allowed to smoke in the house during childminding hours - however you can't stop this childminders husband from smoking when no childminding children are present. I would ask the childminder why your child smells of smoke, it could be something as simple as her coat is hung up next to the coat the childminders husband smokes outside in - something which can easily be rectified, the childminder is probably used to the smell and doesn't notice it - I expect my house smells of dogs to other people!

Angela234
28-03-2013, 06:37 PM
My husband smokes outside but sometimes he goes out with the door open and the smokes /smell comes indoors I HATE THIS he doesn't smoke when children are present he leaves 5 am and not back till after the children have gone I come down some morning s and can smell stale smoke he also brings in the cig butt puts it under the tap and in the bin

Have a word with your minder I wouldn't want children's clothes smelling of cig smoke. I would rather parents brought it to my attention.

Poppy7
28-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Thank you all so much for your helpand advice. I had a chat with her about it today and the issue has been resolved :clapping:

I'm so happy as she is a wonderful childminder and my children adore her.

The Juggler
28-03-2013, 10:22 PM
i am sure she's be mortified if she knew your child smelled of smoke. I have a friend whose older daughter I sometimes pick up from school. My friend smokes (never at mine) but if she's just stubbed out before coming in, you can smell it. LO's love her and often climb on her lap for a cuddle and I worry about them whiffing of smoke a little sometimes

maybe they have asked for a cuddle/pick up from her hubby and hence the smell. I hope it is just that but I would def. ask questions myself.

clareelizabeth1
29-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Glad you got it sorted. My brother and his wife smoke and I hate it when they give my son cuddles as he comes back smelling like smoke and perfume. They only ever smoke outside and try to get rid of the smell but it just clings to you.