PDA

View Full Version : School drop offs.

nipper
27-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Just wondering those of you who do school drop offs, how many just watch their mindees go into the playground and not accompany them to the classroom door. I appreciate that not all schools allow parents through the gate, let alone in the classroom (and don't get me started on the parents in ouR reception class, doing everything for them helping them take off coat and hanging them up:angry:) sorry ex teacher rant
I have a reception age mindee who I see into his classroom, (we are allowed through onto the playground, which I personally don't like) but am about to take on a 3 year old who will be attending nursery 2 miles away for the morning session. Our school gates open at 8.40am and the nursery session starts at 9am. It will be close but I wonder if I can get a flyer by not going though the gates with the schoolie, who will be in Year 1 by then.

Thoughts please

mrs robbie williams
28-03-2013, 06:46 AM
i take them to the door and watch them go in past the teacher so i know they are actually in as its chaos :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
28-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Our school for year 1/2 insist you take them to the door :thumbsup:

CLL
28-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Does the school take responsibility for all children after 8.40? Do they get registered at that time and taken to class? If so, then yes leave him in the care of the school. If not then who will be looking after the 5 year old child when you have gone and before the school takes responsibility for them, will he be caring for himself? If so then I think 5 is still to young to be left unattended.

Becci26
28-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Hmm if the child can go straight into class at 8:40 than it would most likely be ok (although if it were me I would watch them go into class to be sure), but if u would be leaving the child unattended for 5/10 minutes then u would say I feel it is too young to be left IMO.

Could u just arrange with the nursery to arrive 5 minutes later, this is what I have done in the past as I have to be at 2 preschools at 9am and works well x

FussyElmo
28-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Hmm if the child can go straight into class at 8:40 than it would most likely be ok (although if it were me I would watch them go into class to be sure), but if u would be leaving the child unattended for 5/10 minutes then u would say I feel it is too young to be left IMO.

Could u just arrange with the nursery to arrive 5 minutes later, this is what I have done in the past as I have to be at 2 preschools at 9am and works well x

I agree with this - our school opens its gates at 840 but the teacher doesn't open the door till 845/850.

Nicola Carlyle
28-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I agree with this - our school opens its gates at 840 but the teacher doesn't open the door till 845/850.

Our school is the same.

skatie
28-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Personally I wouldn't leave a reception aged child in the playground and expect them to be responsible enough (at that age) not to get them selves into trouble. How do you know they wouldn't come out again after you'd left? What does the child's parent think of the situation?

AliceK
28-03-2013, 08:04 AM
I have to drop off 4 children all in different years from nursery thro to year 4, it's a mad rush running through the playground from class to class but I always see each of them through the door into their class. I would be too worried that something might happen if I didn't and officially they would still be my responsibility. It's a pain though when 1 teacher in particular never opens the door on time and that holds me up waiting before I can drop the remaining 2 to their classes :angry:

xxxx

QualityCare
28-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Sorry but l wouldn't let my own children go into school alone at that age let alone someone else's.

Helen Dempster
28-03-2013, 09:56 AM
my son's in year 2 and parents aren't allowed in the playground for the morning drop off (but strangely we are allowed at the end of the day!) I watch him walk across the playground and through the door before I leave. It was the same when he was in year 1.

FussyElmo
28-03-2013, 10:01 AM
So I guess the answer is it depends on your school.

If like mine then no you wouldn't be able to do it because you do have to see the child in at the door. If like the pps then yes as you have to see them across the playground then they go in :thumbsup:

What does your school do?

~Grasshopper~
28-03-2013, 10:13 AM
hi

my son is in year 1 and id want him watched into his class.

i watch my year 1's go in and the over 8's go in alone but i am in the yard and can see them in there lines, they know where i am and i dont leave the yard till the teachers are all with them.

x

nikkiv
28-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Personally I would want to make sure they went into the building I watch all of mine for my peace of mind that they are in you hear so many horror stories these days of children being stopped etc even outside of the school! No different to my own son really I want to be sure they are in a safe before leaving!

jillplum
28-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Our children line up in the yard and are then taken into school by teachers. I wait on the yard untill all my mindees are inside the building. Thatvway I know they are the schools responsibility and I can go.

RuthJ
28-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Our children line up in the yard and are then taken into school by teachers. I wait on the yard untill all my mindees are inside the building. Thatvway I know they are the schools responsibility and I can go.

This is what our school does too, and I wait til they've gone in.