PDA

View Full Version : Right good old moan!!

maryp0ppins
27-03-2013, 03:22 PM
So far since January I've had 1 day off (funeral) & have booked 5 days summer holiday July along with 4 random days here & there spread out over july-aug&sept, all parents have know these since Jan & were informed I would be taking more time off throughout the year.

Sat down last night & decided my other dates which are 4 days end of August & 5 days October break.

Is it me or does 18 days out of the whole year seem a lot to you, as one of my parents does?!????

AgentTink
27-03-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't think it is excessive, however i don't think you will ever please all parents. I had one family once who every time i had a holiday they would check what i was doing and would make it known that if i wasn't doing anything they would want me to still have their child. No wonder that contract only lasted 7 months :rolleyes: in the 7 months they were with me i had only had 6 days holiday, and they cancelled their contract when i booked a week off for later in the year.

I think it is also down to how you tell them about your holidays, i find the more assertive i am, ie "You will find in x's bag a letter detailing further dates that my setting is shut this year" is met far better than, "I need to book some further holidays this year", as they almost hear this as you asking them.

What does your contract state that you will have for holidays in a year?

SYLVIA
27-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Not at all. I take 20 days and all bank hols too. I tell them at the beginning of the year and it's up to them to sort out their childcare.

blue bear
27-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Goodness I take 20 plus bank holidays, none of mine mind at all.

clareelizabeth1
27-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I take two weeks at Christmas two weeks at some point in the year plus I don't work bank holidays or Mondays if I can help it.

wellybelly
27-03-2013, 05:13 PM
So far since January I've had 1 day off (funeral) & have booked 5 days summer holiday July along with 4 random days here & there spread out over july-aug&sept, all parents have know these since Jan & were informed I would be taking more time off throughout the year.

Sat down last night & decided my other dates which are 4 days end of August & 5 days October break.

Is it me or does 18 days out of the whole year seem a lot to you, as one of my parents does?!????

You take off as much time as you need, its your business and you're the boss!

PS Is this my penpal Mary Poppins? xxxx

Dragonfly
27-03-2013, 05:27 PM
In my contract it says I can have up to 4 weeks off, i have never done that, but I take 20-22 days and bank holidays. It is your business so you have what holidays you want but i do think it's polite to give as much notice as possible, I usually give my dates by end of jan beginning of Feb.then the parents can have holidays the same time if they wish.

vals
27-03-2013, 05:32 PM
I probably have about 20 days - but that includes between christmas and new year when no one ever wants me. When I do my list of dates, I always include an offer to help them find alternative care if they aren't able to take their holidays at the same time. No one ever asks me to find someone, but by offering I think it looks like I am being helpful and makes it harder for them to moan!

maryp0ppins
27-03-2013, 06:00 PM
You take off as much time as you need, its your business and you're the boss!

PS Is this my penpal Mary Poppins? xxxx

Haha yes it is fellow pen pal friend ;) xx

Hope your all well xx

maryp0ppins
27-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Gave all dates out in jan, new dates for aug and oct today so that's 5 & 7 months notice. I feel this is more than enough.

Wouldn't mind but 3 of them days I've swapped for her so in real terms I've only had 15 days off from her!!

mrs robbie williams
27-03-2013, 06:58 PM
In my contract I state I reserve the right to take six weeks holiday, and I don't work bh although don't charge for them either x

phoenix2010
27-03-2013, 07:05 PM
I take 5 sometimes 6 weeks off , i do like my holidays

parents are aware of this before they sign the contract , so no problem

one of the perks in my opinion of being self employed is that ill take as many holidays as I like

I decide my holiday and inform parents in January for the whole year and dont change them , so they cant really complain

rollypolly
27-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I always tell parents before their LO starts with me, that I take 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks in August. I don't work bank holidays,
I also have in my contract, that should I need to take any other holiday time, I will give them at least 4 weeks notice. I do try and help them by asking other CM if they can cover my holiday times x

Daisy1956
27-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I take 5 weeks plus bank holidays. Inform parents in October for next year of four of the weeks other week decided in Jan so plenty of notice, following advice on here I now get them to sign a form to say that they have received my dates,so no-one can say they don't know when I am on hols. We all work very long hours so we all deserve our hols.

mazza58
27-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I also take 5 to 6 weeks holidays a year and parents are informed of this before contract is signed, I let parents know of holidays in january, I also book my holidays in school holiday time to help the parents even though this means I pay more for my holidays where I could book them at a cheaper time as I have no small children of my own now.

lisa1968
27-03-2013, 07:59 PM
I have 6 weeks a year plus BH-I give the parents my dates in January and they sort out alternative childcare. They've never ever complained or moaned about them.
In 13 years of 'minding I've never had a day off sick. I only had 2 weeks off when DD was born.I work nearly 12 hours a day-not including any time I spend 'out-of-hours' doing paperwork or preparing activities.
I don't get a lunch hour or coffee breaks......

.........so I don't feel guilty about having 6 weeks!

maryp0ppins
28-03-2013, 07:51 AM
So my 3 weeks Ill be taking from Jan to Dec isn't bad at all is it hence my big fat moan!! Lol

Might take two weeks off at Xmas now just to p her off lol as I normally work in between just for her!!!

Evil head on. :-)

Kiddleywinks
28-03-2013, 08:10 AM
I have 20 days, plus bank holidays (although I will work BH if asked)
I state in my policies that I will give a minimum of 4 weeks notice of holidays, but in reality give my dates in January along with my cover childminders number and the FIS contact details lol

If I'm on 'holiday' I'm not working regardless of whether or not I'm going away - which is none of her business anyway!

As has already been pointed out, this is your business, your rules :thumbsup:

hectors house
28-03-2013, 08:23 AM
If you have given adequate notice (which you definitely have), are within the amount of holiday time you state you may take on the contract (which you are) then this parent has nothing to complain about.

Several years ago we planned a trip to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary - at the time I childminded a teacher's child, we could have gone on an organised trip for 2 weeks before a school holiday (which would have included being away for our anniversary) but instead we paid £1000 more to go the week before and including the holiday so I didn't inconvenience this parent as they had no family nearby and wouldn't leave child with anyone else. She still kicked up a fuss and after we had book and paid deposit she cut her working days down from 5 to 3 a week anyway - I learnt an expensive lesson - DO WHAT SUITS YOU NOT THEM!

little chickee
28-03-2013, 11:09 AM
My contracts state 6 weeks holidays and i always take them all.
Plus occasional days here and there.

I absolutely do not think 6 weeks is in any way excessive. As my holiday time draws nearer i do find myself needing the break.
I try to give as much notice as possib;e of my holidays.

maryp0ppins
29-03-2013, 08:48 AM
If you have given adequate notice (which you definitely have), are within the amount of holiday time you state you may take on the contract (which you are) then this parent has nothing to complain about.

Several years ago we planned a trip to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary - at the time I childminded a teacher's child, we could have gone on an organised trip for 2 weeks before a school holiday (which would have included being away for our anniversary) but instead we paid £1000 more to go the week before and including the holiday so I didn't inconvenience this parent as they had no family nearby and wouldn't leave child with anyone else. She still kicked up a fuss and after we had book and paid deposit she cut her working days down from 5 to 3 a week anyway - I learnt an expensive lesson - DO WHAT SUITS YOU NOT THEM!

I state I only need to give 4 weeks notice SO defo more than enough notice as I have done every year (usually jan they know my holidays till sept time & and july time they are given my Xmas dates)

In my contracts I have never given an amount holiday time I require but it's usually 4 weeks a year & the occasional day here & there which I normally day swap if I can!!

wellybelly
29-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Haha yes it is fellow pen pal friend ;) xx

Hope your all well xx

Im really well thanks, hope you are?

I take about the same time off as you do but I'd be very happy to take more off. After almost 7 years of this job, I'm no longer including "door mat" in my job description! Next year I'm planning to take an extra week off.

I'll drop you a line in the post soon xxxx

Rubybubbles
29-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I take 30days plus all bank holidays

But most of my families have now gone tt only so doesn't effect them anyway unless I take an odd day!!

I have booked next week off my first break since the Xmas hols!! Which I booked back in Jan parents have been given up until June so far but it doesn't effect most