PDA

View Full Version : Am I really mean?!

samsstars
27-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I care for five after schoolies, 4 of which are girls.
They have started bringing toys from home.... Mainly dolls and accessories plus dressing up bits inc shoes!

It's beginning to annoy me to be honest! I have more than enough toys for them to play with! I don't allow shoes indoors so have told the girls I'd prefer the shoes to stay in their bags. I don't mind the preschoolers bringing something from home, mainly their comforters, but I think the after school children can manage without!

am I really mean? What do you guys do?

(Maybe I should do a 'dolls' picnic next term where they can bring a doll for one day only!!!!)

funemnx
27-03-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't mind if they bring things from home - a lot of the time it's to show the others what they've got lol! I just make sure that everyone (parents included) knows that they aren't allowed to get stressed if someone wants to have a look/share and that if they get lost/broken it's not my fault!

shortstuff
27-03-2013, 01:38 PM
I limit it to only comforters as i dont want to search through my toys at home time. Also i cant stand hearing 'its mine'

I must be mean in the extreme lol

cathtee
27-03-2013, 01:47 PM
I do allow toys from home, but they have to share them, if not they go in their bag until they get home, also if older ones bring things
it's their responsibility to take them home not for me to search for them at home time,

mazza58
27-03-2013, 02:07 PM
The older children do bring somethings in the school hols, but they are to share and make sure that they take it home with them, my policy says it is not my responsibility if things get lost or broken. I would prefer them not to bring things as you there are a lot of toys etc here, my 2 year old mindee insists on bringing something everyday but when she is here it just goes in her bag as she does not want to play with it any way. Today she brought her vtech tablet er dont think so I told mum to take it home as I didn't want it to get broken

singingcactus
27-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I let all my kids bring stuff if they want to. Sometimes it can take a month or two before it finds it's way home again though lol. If it has small parts I have them keep it away from the tots, but other than that I am pretty happy for it. That's not to say I won't roll my eyes and whinge to a parent when their kid brings something annoying, or loud though :)
I think I am misunderstanding something you wrote though, do you really not allow the dolls to wear shoes in the house?

hectors house
27-03-2013, 02:29 PM
I do allow my pre-schoolers to bring toys but really wish they wouldn't - spent ages last week looking for a bouncy ball that child wouldn't go home without:angry:

QualityCare
27-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't allow pre schoolers to bring things but if l had after schoolies 6yrs+ l would allow them to bring things from home as long as it is understood they are not my responsibility, they share and no boasting, I think a combination of set activities and playing with own things together would make a pleasanter evening.

phoenix2010
27-03-2013, 02:51 PM
I do let children bring toys on the understanding that they have to share and its not my responsibility of its broken, if they refuse to share , then it goes straight in their bag

I have one child who brings guns and swords :rolleyes:, they go away as soon as mum has gone , I dont approve of these as they make him behave quite violently

I dont even let my own 6 yr old have guns , so im certainly not letting a 3 yr old mindee

swords I dont mind so much as long as they are sensible , but not when there are little ones around

actually one has brought a £100 tablet with him today , hes sharing it nicely with my other mindee and they seem happy to take turns playing the games

vals
27-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I used to allow the to bring toys but it caused so many problems. There would be so many times when as it was time to go home, a child would decide they had lost a toy, or things would get broken, or they would argue over sharing. Also had problems when one parent would allow a child to bring toys, but the parent collecting them would get cross about it. So I now have a policy that says young children can bring comforters, but anything else stays in the hall with their bags. I include a sentence that says I can not be held responsible for anything they bring getting broken.

ChocolateChip
27-03-2013, 06:09 PM
I used to allow the to bring toys but it caused so many problems. There would be so many times when as it was time to go home, a child would decide they had lost a toy, or things would get broken, or they would argue over sharing. Also had problems when one parent would allow a child to bring toys, but the parent collecting them would get cross about it. So I now have a policy that says young children can bring comforters, but anything else stays in the hall with their bags. I include a sentence that says I can not be held responsible for anything they bring getting broken.

Same here, and just yesterday a dad turned up and let his child bring a huge ride on motorbike which of course had to go home, (wasn't even riding it they came by car :rolleyes:) cue tantrum :mad:

Samsstars, if it's not working for you then change your policy, but I like your idea of having the dolls tea party once in a while, that sounds like a fair compromise to me.