PDA

View Full Version : Relationships with parents...

sarah707
25-03-2013, 07:38 PM
If you had to give parents 2 (or more if you want to share...) pieces of advice about how to promote a good working relationship with you... what would they be?

Mine are -

- Pay me on time

- Be honest with me about what happens at home

I would appreciate your thoughts guys please! :D

cathtee
25-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Same as you Sarah plus,

pass on any info that relates to childs nursery activities (if I don't take or collect)

Read the daily diary and answer any request made.

FussyElmo
25-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Your two most definetly.

Others are.

Appreciate I do not just have your children.

A thank you goes a very long way.

*daisychain*
25-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Just to show some appreciation when I go above and beyond my job

Allie
25-03-2013, 08:08 PM
All the above and
Praise your child if I do eg if I tell you about something or show you their work and NEVER EVER leave their artwork in your car :angry:

Allie

SammyL
25-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Agree with all &...

For parents to understand that their children aren't angelic 24/7!!

Telling the truth about home is very important to me Sarah as I have a serial fibber!!

Christi
25-03-2013, 08:23 PM
If your child starts to play up when you arrive to collect them, please speak to them or I will, which will leave you looking slightly embarrased. They are your child, control them!
Don't quibble your invoice (unless I have actually *&*%*** it up)!

karensmart4
25-03-2013, 08:30 PM
All the above,

Please appreciate your child's work .... not leave it all in their bag for weeks at a time, it does nothing for their self esteem :panic:

Pass information on either verbally, via email, text, message on my fb page or a note in your child's daily diary :idea:

Nicola Carlyle
25-03-2013, 10:01 PM
All of the above.

Agree with being honest. It works wonders. I know no child is perfect or an angel so please just be honest.

Also please bare in mind that I have a life inside and outside my duties. My business is mine and I will decide how best to run it not you. While I am greatful for all my feedback ultimately the final decision is mine so please accept it.

Helcatt
25-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Its got to be.........

Honesty about what is going on at home! If child hyperventilates until she is sick to get her own way, I would like to know - or if she is making herself sick by any other means. Or with another parent this week - hand foot and mouth - nice of her to tell us, it was the nursery where big brother goes that told us. Or if the child that we are trying to settle in screams all the time at home too, its not just that she is unhappy with us - this only came out as we were asking questions about strategies that mum uses so we could mirror, and she must have known we were building up to giving notice if things did not improve soon!

Mini rant there - sorry

Let me know if you are running late - drop off or collection

Hx

hectors house
25-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Essential handover info for little ones who can't tell you themselves.

What time did they wake up and did they sleep well?
Did they eat breakfast this morning?

This info can make or break your morning and helps me plan whether or not we are going to toddlers in plenty of time - I don't want to think I am going and then find someone has crashed out sound asleep on the sofa!

MessybutHappy
25-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Don't respond to every positive statement I make about your child with "oh yes, x has done that for ages" in a tone of voice that really means "I know my child better than you do, you can't tell me anything new and even if you do I won't listen because you are "just" a cm"....just try, just occasionally, to celebrate your wonderful child with me!

And ASK, don't assume!!!

wendywu
25-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Listen to what i am saying and above all trust me :D

kats
26-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Mine would be:

Please dont bring your child to me when you know they are ill and then when i have to ring for you to collect tell me they have been fine at home!!!

Treat my home with respect and dont just walk in as if you own the place!!

shortstuff
26-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Simples. Trust and open two way conversations :-)

mrs robbie williams
26-03-2013, 07:02 AM
agree with all the above especially the appreciation and occasional thank you - oh and definitely agree with realise i have a life outside childminding :D

Donkey
26-03-2013, 07:19 AM
agree with all of the above...

will add

please don't mask your child being ill with calpol

it might not 'just be teeth'

a 'thank you' goes a long way

as does a 'I am sorry I am late'

so does 'I am sorry I have not paid you on time..... again'

'Wow that's amazing news, you work so hard for my child here is a celebratory gift....' - I bet £50 I don't get one of these #seepostinlounge

:littleangel::littleangel:

loocyloo
26-03-2013, 07:29 AM
all the above!

but i think honesty is a big one.

i once had (full time) siblings who were generally fine, & it was generally dad who did drop off & collection ... after a week of hell, on the friday a mum at school said to the schoolie - ''oh, mummy gets home tonight, you must be missing her'' ... as my jaw dropped open, she said '' didn't you know mummy had been in france since last weekend ? " ... no! and when i asked dad on collection, apparently it wasn't any of my business and i didn't need to know !!! i said that actually, in order to care for his children it would have been useful to know the little 18mth old might just be missing mummy! he did look a tad sheepish at that! but they still never told me anything!

Bananabrain
26-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Appreciate that just because I am 'only a childminder' doesn't mean I'm thick! I am actually quite bright you know:laughing:
Don't just 'pitch up when you feel like it' I have other children too and it makes my life very difficult if you don't let me know when you are coming.
Am I only allowed 2? I could go on all day:D

jelly15
26-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Realise that just because you pay me does not make me your emploee - you are paying for my (excellent) service.

Understand that CMing is not a vocation - it is a career I (mostly) enjoy and give my all to, so please pay me on time and in full. I have bills too.

phoenix2010
26-03-2013, 08:32 AM
1) collect on time , I do have other children to consider and a life of my own

2) dont freak out because your child has scuffed his new white trainers playing in the sand or has paint on his new Tshirt , I told you we like messy play and asked you to send them in old clothes , several times !

rollypolly
26-03-2013, 08:50 AM
I have one mum who will drop and run really quick, only for the LO to tell me, yes I was sick in my bed last night! And mummy gave me pink medicine this morning! Just want her to be honest! Had a few chats about it but it seems to fall on deaf ears!!

NI MINDER
26-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Definitely agree with all of the above.... .

A thank you once in a while would go a long long way.

I have a parent who constantly tops child up with calpol when unwell and never tells me - child is now old enough to say that she has been unwell and mummy gave her medicine.

Big one for me - is parents taking control at pick up time! - mindees seem to flip a switch when their parents appear and totally trash the place. No matter how firm I am they ignore me and Mummy stands and witters on about how hard her day has been....... Oh and mine has been a bed of roses with your DD/DS !!

nikkiv
26-03-2013, 10:36 AM
All of the above especially paying on time one parent this week who said I'm a bit skint this month so I can transfer the money Friday or give you a cheque later!!!! Well actually your missing £80 is making me a bit skint thanks :(

It's not your house do not walk in with your dirty shoes to get your child especially when you've turned up early without any warning!

One for me though crack down on them and get tougher, I do have bills to pay, this is my business, I do love my job but actually don't have 5 children running around for fun it is my income and my business ;)

acorns
26-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Mine are:
1) You are welcome in my home but don't abuse my hospitality and treat my home as if you live here, walk in my kitchen uninvited and put things in my fridge!

2) If I ask if a non spill cup can be used, I am not 'making a big fuss' about drinks being spilt, it is so that your dd does not spill her milk for other mindees to slip over in it or on the damp floor after I have had to wash it.

I could go on and on.....

Schnakes
26-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Don't respond to every positive statement I make about your child with "oh yes, x has done that for ages" in a tone of voice that really means "I know my child better than you do, you can't tell me anything new and even if you do I won't listen because you are "just" a cm"....just try, just occasionally, to celebrate your wonderful child with me!

And ASK, don't assume!!!

Ooooh - that is a good one! Its drives me MAD when parents do that!!! :)

singingcactus
26-03-2013, 04:25 PM
I think the things that help my relationships with all my parents bcome really good is they remember to keep me informed about what is happening at home, the successes, and the things they are working towards, and the things that will never ever happen again!
Also that my parents give my children attention too, and they remember all my boys successes and news and are interested in my family, as I am in theirs.
We treat each other as extended families, we all help each other with favours and errands, and we genuinely care for each other.....even when the kids are being hoons.

jackie 7
26-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Tell the trough about calpol!!! Don't put it in and say he/she is teething and might need it. Don't lie that they didn't have it because your other half will drop you in the s€$%. Do t come 5 minutes early. It might not seem that much early but this morning I overslept and of you had been your usual early I would not have been dressed!!! Ok they were having an extra day!

NI MINDER
26-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I think the things that help my relationships with all my parents bcome really good is they remember to keep me informed about what is happening at home, the successes, and the things they are working towards, and the things that will never ever happen again!
Also that my parents give my children attention too, and they remember all my boys successes and news and are interested in my family, as I am in theirs.
We treat each other as extended families, we all help each other with favours and errands, and we genuinely care for each other.....even when the kids are being hoons.

with you on giving my children a wee bit of attention.
just after giving a family of mindees their easter egg treats - nice eggs in mugs etc - as last time they will be with me before Easter hols - Mum looked at my kids who were in same room and said oh I dont buy anyone easter eggs ..... really felt sorry for them .... Oh and Mum also 'forgot' that it was pay day ..............rant over!!

wellybelly
26-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Loving this thread....

Mine would be

Please don't think I'm available to you 24 hours a day (this means calling or texting me at 11pm at night or 6am in the morning or anytime over the weekend when I'm with my family enjoying what little time I do have with them)

And just because I'm a childminder does not mean I can take your child to a doctors appointment, meet you at your house because its more convenient in the mornings or arrange after school play dates with your child's friends! Im not your P.A!

MessybutHappy
26-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Ooooh - that is a good one! Its drives me MAD when parents do that!!! :)

Is it awful of me to say that I feel soooo much better that I'm not alone?!!!!!!

The Juggler
26-03-2013, 11:09 PM
don't moan to me about how you hate your job because of how little you see your children, then get a day off on which you don't do much except get your hair done and bring and collect your child at the normal time :angry::angry: :rolleyes:

but if I am being more realistic about what I could actually say :

don't take me for granted
tell me if you are bothered or upset by something - don't make me guess please

nikkiv
27-03-2013, 07:54 AM
I so love reading this thread at some point most of them have replied and opened the door to my first mindee this morning when mum walked in I was alot calmer that's ok I thought many parents do this! :)

RuthJ
27-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Great thread! All of the above, plus:

Please don't huff and puff when I give you my holiday dates

Please stick to the contracted hours and let me know if you're going to be late dropping off or collecting

Please be totally honest with me - I won't judge, but may be able to offer some helpful advice.

izzy23
27-03-2013, 08:39 AM
All of this, but the paying/fees things for sure. I hate it when people try to wriggle out of their contractual obligations usually when its to do with money!! How would they like it if their work did the same to them. I AM A PROFESSIONAL. :clapping:
And I cannot stand being lied to, it happens a lot to me with one particular family, show me some respect FGS.

You can tell I'm having a cruddy morning,

ChocolateChip
27-03-2013, 11:52 AM
All of the above!
And....

Please actually read my policies and try to understand that they are written for the welfare of YOUR child, not because I like spending hours of my time and a fortune on ink and paper producing them!

And don't have a hissy fit when I actually try to enforce them. :mad:

Bananabrain
27-03-2013, 12:44 PM
All of the above!
And....

Please actually read my policies and try to understand that they are written for the welfare of YOUR child, not because I like spending hours of my time and a fortune on ink and paper producing them!

And don't have a hissy fit when I actually try to enforce them. :mad:

HA HA, hissy fit. That made me laugh.
At Christmas, I sent a letter to my parents saying 'please bring appropriate clothing, remember to pay me, if you are late at least have the courtesy to text blah, blah.
One parent did have a 'hissy fit' and said that 'she didn't like my tone.':laughing:Then went on to say that if she had received a similar letter from a nursery it would have been 'fine.'
Don't know what you think I am doing here love, but this is my job!:laughing: