PDA

View Full Version : Medical book?

alex1604
25-03-2013, 07:34 PM
This is probably a stupid question but....

I have a mindee who's been with me since January. When he joined his mum didn't put any medical needs on his form. He arrived this morning with a ventolin inhaler which he apparently has when his cough is bad. I had to use it once this morning as he was coughing a lot but wanted to check if this is something you would put in your medical book or not?

Thanks!

cathtee
25-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes I would document it that he needs it when cough is bad, if he has an inhaler he should carry it with him at all times and parents
should really give you one to keep at yours as if it is the start of asthma (which is how my ds started with his) he could have an attack at anytime.

alex1604
25-03-2013, 07:46 PM
That's what I thought, I was really surprised they hadn't even mentioned it before! Thank you

sarah707
25-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Yes absolutely - you should write up a care plan with parents to make sure you know the triggers, their wishes if he gets really bad etc.

You need permission and parents should train you.

You need an inhaler at your house as well.

Hth :D

moggy
25-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Yes I would document it that he needs it when cough is bad, if he has an inhaler he should carry it with him at all times and parents
should really give you one to keep at yours as if it is the start of asthma (which is how my ds started with his) he could have an attack at anytime.

Having an inhaler for wheezing during a bad cough is NOT the same as having asthma.

My son has a reliever inhaler, only ever used it 3 times in his life. He does not have one at school, does not carry one everywhere and he is not diagnosed as asthmatic. But when he has a chesty cough he is prone to getting wheezy. It is not an 'asthma attack' and if it happens I would bring him home and treat him here. Check exactly what the doctor has told the parents.