PDA

View Full Version : What do we call ourselves?

SammySplodger
25-03-2013, 01:41 PM
This thread has come out of the one about databases:

A little thought here guys.
I'm not as computer literate as I'd like to be, so it may just be me being dim, I accept that, and please feel free to put me right!

It seems to me that when we do start to advertise ourselves we need to be careful what words we use to describe ourselves as far as the Internet search engines are concerned.
If we type in Childminder, childminding etc lots of details come up for us and whatever else we've typed in - eg Suffolk, Kent, Essex etc.
However, someone described themselves in the discussions as an Independent Professional Childcarer, which I quite liked the sound of, but out of interest I typed it into the Internet and the majority of info came up with Independent as the main word but not much in the line of Childcarer.
Parents aren't necessarily going to cotton onto the fact that we've changed our "brandname" as such and if they type in Childminder, which is how they universally think of us they're surely going to get "Childminder Agencies" before anything else.

I know this is a picky detail, and we are a way off of deciding this, but it needs to be thought of.

Exactly! THANK YOU! Fab point!
We can feed it into the website: We need to agree a 'job title' to alleviate confusion for Parents. Perhaps this can be the next thread?!

I will also look into tips on search engine submissions and meta tagging for our own individual websites - to add this into the marketing document... if Sarah hasn't included this already :-)

It is also really easy - and FREE- to be listed in Google maps. You just need to know how. Once done, it really highlights your business in a Google search.

SammySplodger
25-03-2013, 02:02 PM
OK, so I have recently started referring to myself as an:

Independent, Ofsted Registered, Childminder

I haven't changed the word 'Childminder', because I think it might confuse Parents.

But perfectly happy to be challenged by other posters about that assumption!

What do others think?

loocyloo
25-03-2013, 02:42 PM
i've always called myself an 'ofsted registered childminder' ( apart from with 118118, as they seem to think that means i am ofsted! but thats another story! )

i would like to and would be happy to put independent in front of it. ( LOL need to order some new business cards soon anyway! )

i think parents looking for childcare, will google childminders or preschool or playgroup or whatever, i don't think they would think about any other 'name' !

SammySplodger
25-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Just to drive the point home, I'm thinking of adding the Ofsted logo to my publicity material and website... with the words: Registered by: above it. I am assuming we are 'allowed' to use their logo. Another action point to check out.

Obviously those of you lucky enough to have an Outstanding logo are probably already doing this :-)

loocyloo
25-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Just to drive the point home, I'm thinking of adding the Ofsted logo to my publicity material and website... with the words: Registered by: above it. I am assuming we are 'allowed' to use their logo. Another action point to check out.

Obviously those of you lucky enough to have an Outstanding logo are probably already doing this :-)

i'm not sure we can use the logo, unless outstanding. ( i don't use it myself though anyway )

but maybe a 'deal' could be done with ofsted?

Simona
25-03-2013, 03:03 PM
I don't think we are allowed to do that...i don't use my outstanding logo either, I have it framed and have a copy in the parents info pack...they can't miss it then???

Will you contact Wilshaw or Gregory and do a deal for cms?? go on Loocyloo we are all behind you!!!

SammySplodger
25-03-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't think we are allowed to do that...i don't use my outstanding logo either, I have it framed and have a copy in the parents info pack...they can't miss it then???

Will you contact Wilshaw or Gregory and do a deal for cms?? go on Loocyloo we are all behind you!!!

I meant having an Outstanding logo on publicity material, so that new/prospective Parents can see it, not just visible for existing ones (I have seen other CM websites and leaflets with their Outstanding logo on).

I will find out what the policy is on using the 'general' logo, to see if it's an idea we have to rule out or not.

SammySplodger
25-03-2013, 04:58 PM
To clarify - its only Outstanding CMs who may use the logo:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/terms-of-use/copyright