PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else struggling to do school run in snow...

nipper
25-03-2013, 10:30 AM
With a pushchair and no use of car? I realise this weather is probably a freak event (once in 20 years) but it is killing my knee having to tug/pull 'push'chair through big snow drifts. I have got an MRI in two days time, to try and find out what is going on with it. I must admit on Friday I was all for ordering one of those double sleds with the protective covers on, like they use in Eastern Europe...really getting to me know.

FussyElmo
25-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Its weird here - it some places its treachous and in others its clear :thumbsup:

Hope you go on ok with your knee.

nipper
25-03-2013, 10:44 AM
All the snow off the road seems to have ended up on the pavements and now the temperatures are dropping it's turning to ice. Both mindees age 11months and 22 months were crying with all the bumping around. If I could put them on the sledge I would, but I think the little one would keep falling off.

manjay
25-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Luckily for me there are no school runs! Our pavements are about 6ft high with snow which has been cleared from the roads and peoples drives. I would need some sort of mountain rescue team to get me down if I even managed to get up! :laughing:

Mouse
25-03-2013, 11:07 AM
It's at time like this when I'm so pleased I don't do school runs!

I woke up this morning expecting our pavements to be like ice rinks, but they are comletely clear. It's so strange because normally they're the last ones to clear as the sun never gets to them.

It's so cold & windy though. The furthest we're venturing today is the back garden. I'll stand huddled with a cup of coffee to keep warm!

Daisy De
25-03-2013, 11:22 AM
No snow and no school runs here so I'm smiling :)

Snow is lovely if you don't have to do anything or be anywhere :thumbsup:

kel1983
25-03-2013, 11:24 AM
We have no snow here in the south. Feeling for those of you who have though

Tazmin68
25-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Not too good this morning fortunately no need for buggy this morning but will be using one this afternoon. My youngest fell over in the car park and was upset but other than that managed. No group this morning as that school and children's centre was closed and I have a school holiday child here as his school was closed due to heating problems.

angeldelight
25-03-2013, 11:40 AM
With a pushchair and no use of car? I realise this weather is probably a freak event (once in 20 years) but it is killing my knee having to tug/pull 'push'chair through big snow drifts. I have got an MRI in two days time, to try and find out what is going on with it. I must admit on Friday I was all for ordering one of those double sleds with the protective covers on, like they use in Eastern Europe...really getting to me know.

I'm sooooo happy I no longer do school runs and pick ups

Heaven :clapping:

Angel xx

nipper
25-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Oh you lot are no use at all....lol:p

Mouse
25-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh you lot are no use at all....lol:p

Oh, you wanted helpful answers?

Well, why not attach skis to the wheels of your pushchair, turning it into a sort of sledge? With any luck you could get the older mindees to pull it & you could stand on the back being pulled along.

And you thought we couldn't come up with sensible replies :rolleyes: :ROFL1:

charleyfarley
25-03-2013, 12:26 PM
If I hadn't got the car we would never have got to school today, nor the rest of the week tbh :panic:

We did start walking, managed to get across the road, pavements seemed ok until we turned the corner where we were met with deep snow!!! :panic: We walked 2 foot and then turned round to go and get the car. Ds kept falling over, I was laughing so much I nearly fell over. Then mindees dad stopped to tell me the snow drifts further along the path were so high we wouldn't get through.

If we'd have walked, I'd have lost the 2 year olds in the drifts, they were that deep:panic::laughing:

I feel sorry for you having to struggle.

Carol xx

nipper
25-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh, you wanted helpful answers?

Well, why not attach skis to the wheels of your pushchair, turning it into a sort of sledge? With any luck you could get the older mindees to pull it & you could stand on the back being pulled along.

And you thought we couldn't come up with sensible replies :rolleyes: :ROFL1:

:D tum te tum te tum (message was too short so I had to think of something to write!)

LauraS
25-03-2013, 01:56 PM
We've managed ok so far, have quite a hill to walk up to get to school and the pavements are either slushy ice and snow or bumpy uneven sheet ice. Was plotting revenge on the car drivers who clear the snow off their cars into massive piles on the pavement all the way to school, too.Not nice at all, have done two of today's three school runs with the double buggy and my arms are aching!

The snow is knee high in the back garden, so thigh high for the los - so we're stuck in too.

On the plus side, the sun is shining and its quite warm so I think it will melt quickly

Helen Dempster
25-03-2013, 02:27 PM
We've got absolutely nothing here in Kent! So, in answer to your question, NO! :laughing:

Seriously though, I hope it clears for you soon and your poor knee doesn't suffer too much more! I'm quite lucky, as I have an 'off road' three wheeler buggy/travel system that's brilliant in the snow, as it's got big, chunky tyres. I don't know the name of it though, it's the one I used with my own son when he was a baby.

childminder54
25-03-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm glad I packed up school runs I have the same problem with my knee it sometimes I have the pain or the time went for a scan and I've got ostero arthritus in my knee early stages just take pain kills it on the side when you have baby's on you hip when you hold them