PDA

View Full Version : Parent Visit - English second language

Tealady
24-03-2013, 08:01 PM
I have a perspective parent visiting tomorrow with her baby. From her name and after speaking on the phone English is clearly not her first language. Also she didn't seem particulary fluent, but that could be nerves as I have had a couple of enquiries from first time Mums recently and they have been really nervous at first.

I want to sell myself and give her all the relevant info but I don't want to overwhelm her. Equally I don't want to not give her enough information. I am based in a very middle class area and to be honest language problems don't normally occur? so I really lack experience with this.

I will obviously see how she is in person but if it looks to be a problem I thought that I'd keep the verbal discussion simple and give her everything else in writing to go through in her own time and at her own pace. Does that sound OK?

sarah707
24-03-2013, 08:28 PM
think that sounds fine! I send parents home with some info and email other documents to spread things out.

I hope it goes well :D

Tealady
25-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks Sarah... She was a no show however :(

ivy
25-03-2013, 05:32 PM
I have had 2 sets of parents like this one from Romania and one from Poland . We just took it slowly , lots of visits for them to see what was actually going on even if they couldn't understand .
The children 2 years on are in the Welsh main stream school and are fluent in English and Welsh and even the parents have learnt some Welsh and English .