PDA

View Full Version : Old first aid supplies

LittleLegsCM
24-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Afternoon all,

Sorry if this is a silly question but just wanted to double check.

I've got a load of old/out of date bandages, slings etc, are we allowed to keep them as 'toys' for the kiddies? I'm thinking of just putting a small selection in a box for them to play hospitals with etc.
obviously nothing medicated just the plain bandages and triangle slings and that type of thing.

caz3007
24-03-2013, 03:49 PM
i am sure I read on here someone else doing that. What a great roll play opportunity

starlight1
24-03-2013, 03:54 PM
I don't see why not...

A lot of the reason for these dates is as they are supposed to be sterile and a that can't be garunteed indefinately but for a play toys don't need to be sterile

Samcat
24-03-2013, 03:58 PM
I went to an LA conference yesterday where there was a room of various people selling books, toys etc. There was a chap selling first aid supplies and he had a basket of out of date plasters, bandages etc labelled as suitable to buy for role play.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-03-2013, 04:01 PM
That is a great idea. I put mine in my own first aid cabinet - never heard of a sling or crepe bandage being out of date but the packaging says it does :)

jayne
24-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I have some out of date bandages and slings in the doctors set the children love them they even use them on the soft toys and play vets

blue bear
24-03-2013, 06:46 PM
We have been playing doctors lots just lately with all the out of date dressings oh and gloves, children won't touch 'wounds' without gloves"In case of germs"

nikki thomson
24-03-2013, 08:33 PM
I really don't understand how a bandage can be out of date, is it me?!!!!, were date obsessed in this country. X

PixiePetal
24-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Mine always go into the play medical case. Mindees are really into it at the moment, I got a bargain ELC case from ebay and added a few bandages to it. I spend my days wrapping dollies up like mummies! :laughing:

MessybutHappy
24-03-2013, 09:11 PM
I've always done this.

By the way bandages make great soft supports for plants too!

samb
24-03-2013, 09:46 PM
I also use mine for play. In fact my "doctor kit" for role play is... an old first aid box and in it I have put - a medicine syringe, tweezers from the sterilising kit (that you use for picking up teats), old bandages and slings, a stethascope that came with a doll, a plastic hammer (purely as you seem to have them in doctors kits don't you?!), a couple of medicine spoons and old empty boxes from medicines/tablets, a pad and a pencil. Any other ideas that people would use?

littlecheeks
24-03-2013, 09:51 PM
yes i use my old ones in the drs set too! although the temptation to bandage the kids up is sometimes appealing!

clareelizabeth1
25-03-2013, 07:07 AM
I have some out of date bandages and slings in the doctors set the children love them they even use them on the soft toys and play vets

Me too , all the children love it.

hectors house
25-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Role play what a great idea :clapping:- I have just ordered contents for both my first aid boxes (house & car) and was going to just offer about to expire stuff to the parents for their own use - I already have plenty of out of date stuff in my bathroom cabinet.

lynncjt
25-03-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm going to do the same, but think I will cut the bandages into small lengths as I have a fear of strangulation.

Helen Dempster
25-03-2013, 09:30 AM
I keep my old bandages for our toy first aid box - just be careful of the length (risk asses!) cos of potential strangulation :eek:

oh, and be prepared to end up looking like a Mummy! ha ha ha :laughing: