PDA

View Full Version : Hand Foot and Mouth

lauraring1
24-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Just a quick question (i hope someone can help) one of my mindee's was diagnosed with hand, foot and mouth at the doctors last weds, I no it's highly contagious, has anyone had any experience of it, just wondered how long you would exclude them for?

AgentTink
24-03-2013, 02:39 PM
According to HPA guidelines there is no recommended exclusion for HFM. It can make some children really poorly so your own policy will come into play for example mine says if they can not join in, are upset or need calpol then they cannot attend. All 3 mindees of mine had it in the same week and luckily were not unwell with it so I was able to have them as normal.

PixiePetal
24-03-2013, 02:40 PM
All of my mindees have had this recently. All only in the mouth though - first mindee was really sore in her mouth and parents thought she was teething but I said it could be HFM and they took her to DR to confirm. With 2 sets of siblings it was quite easy to be passed between all, especially with 2 dribbling teething toddlers!

This may be of use for you to make decision -

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947383816

I would say if getting better now, they should be ok this week. Depends how bad they were. Mine were all off through the space of 2 weeks as they were really uncomfortable and not eating/upset etc

lauraring1
24-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Ah ok thank you both, it is what I expected but always good to check just to be sure! I'm sure she'll be fine to attend on Tuesday (only day I have her at the mo)

jo.jo76
24-03-2013, 03:17 PM
One of my mindees has it and carried on coming to me, full time. He had a reoccurance of it 2weeks later too. It is carried in the poo for quite a long time so be extra vigilant with nappy changing hygiene.

supermumy
24-03-2013, 03:30 PM
2 of my own kids have had it and was of school for 2weeks they got it bad
Blisters in mouth fingers feet my little couldn't walk felt so sorry for them temps constantly yet all they can have normal stuff and ice Lollies
Thier nursery wouldn't have them bk until totally clear
It is not a nice thing to have :(

taiwallis
24-03-2013, 03:56 PM
We have all had it here too. 1 mindee i asked for him to stay off as he had a high temp with it and was very unwell - the others came as normal as they were not 'unwell'. Again it is not something HPA give exclusion time for - so if they are ok in themselves then just make sure you let the other parents know x

lauraring1
24-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the good advice x

tigwig
24-03-2013, 05:50 PM
My little boy had it when he was about 14 mths. He had already had chickenpox and various other illnesses before this but I have to say it is the WORST illness I have ever seen him have. He had a very high temp, literally screamed for over 24 hrs day and night and didnt eat for a week. He had blisters all in his mouth and was so poorly, it was horrible. He then of course passed it on to the other mindees and they were both as bad with one having 2 weeks off. Obviously that was a bad case and some kids are fine but it does annoy me when the HPA state no exclusion like its nothing! I would always exclude just in case anyone ends up that bad with it.

ruby
24-03-2013, 06:18 PM
one of my 3yr little one had it the week before last.
noticed little spots on her hands on the tuesday but she was fine in herself , she went home and mum noticed them on her feet
went to the doctor next day . luckly mum decided herself to keep her home for the rest of the week

cathy