PDA

View Full Version : Maternity leave and childcare

Jinx
01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know if a parent going on maternity leave can still claim any help with childcare costs?

I have a mum due to go on maternity towards the end of the year and she gets most of her childcare paid for by the tax credits system.
She wants to go back to work in 6 months but I can't keep 1, let alone 2 places open for her that long! (and she can't afford to pay a retainer!)

Her little one is with me 45 hrs a week and she wants him to stay part time until she goes back to work, but I'm not sure if this is going to be viable as without the tax credits she wont be able to afford it!

Anyone 'in the know?'

Thanks

Jinx x

Pedagog
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I have been told that they will pay a retainer to keep a place open but I don't know for definite, she would be best off giving them a ring.

Jinx
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I have been told that they will pay a retainer to keep a place open but I don't know for definite, she would be best off giving them a ring.

The tax credits site seems to indicate that she will be able to get some help, which is good. :D

I just need her to sort herself out soon as I keep getting enquiries and need to know what will be happening later in the year.

Think it may be time to get tough!!! :rolleyes:

Ta
Jinx x

Pedagog
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
And of course there is no reason why you can't take a short term child in her childs place.

Donkey
01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
jinx - I don't see why not as your still classed as 'working' whilst on mat leave.
That bit of tax credits is for childcare which she will still be paying. although if the amount she is paying you goes down by more than £10 a week she needs to let them know.

hope it all works out :)