PDA

View Full Version : Independence & New Guidelines

SammySplodger
23-03-2013, 09:12 AM
When new guidelines / guidance from the DfEd or Ofsted are published - how will we know? Eg: Safeguarding, yesterday.

What is the current situation for us? My LA doesn't tell me (some others probably do). I have to make sure I have a prompt set up. I am confused by how to do this on the Ofsted website (I don't think I'm being thick, their website is difficult to negotiate).

So, basically, if Sarah didn't flag them up on here, I might not know :-)

So I'm thinking we probably need to build this into the new website - linking back to the link published on the forum.

What do others think?

phoenix2010
23-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Definitely, its very hard to keep up , Ive also tried to have email alerts from OFSTED site but gave up , like you said its not very user friendly at all

I have a great document form the NCA (Northampton ) website called "good practice " and it goes through everything you need , paperwork wise , to be up to date , in a step by step, usually takes me a couple of hours to go through it and make relevant changes to my paperwork , and I do it every 6 months or so

Unfortunately , Im not sure how often its updated , so theres always a chance it will be out of date somewhere along the line

something like that would be good , which is always up to date , and includes links to everything you need regarding policies , safeguarding , changes you need to be aware of , etc

SammySplodger
23-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Definitely, its very hard to keep up , Ive also tried to have email alerts from OFSTED site but gave up , like you said its not very user friendly at all

I have a great document form the NCA (Northampton ) website called "good practice " and it goes through everything you need , paperwork wise , to be up to date , in a step by step, usually takes me a couple of hours to go through it and make relevant changes to my paperwork , and I do it every 6 months or so

Unfortunately , Im not sure how often its updated , so theres always a chance it will be out of date somewhere along the line

something like that would be good , which is always up to date , and includes links to everything you need regarding policies , safeguarding , changes you need to be aware of , etc

Thanks - will have a look at their website later.

How does this work in other geographical areas?

sarah707
23-03-2013, 10:12 AM
I get Ofsted info via my Windows Live Mail - in the RSS feeds section - but I can't remember how I set it up I'd have to ask my friend again.

However, that only covers Ofsted - not other documents that come from DfE etc. I rely on Twitter and FB to find out about those - which isn't ideal.

The challenge of information sharing when FIS is no longer there to support us is definitely an area that needs to be addressed Sammy - especially as many organisations only share with their members rather than making information available to all childminders!

Information and advice on Independent Childminders - Supporting each other (http://independentchildminders.co.uk/) will be totally FREE for everyone who wants to access it - just like info is freely available on the forum - but you are right we need a way of making sure it is always up-to-date.

Any ideas guys please? :D

snortlet
23-03-2013, 10:40 AM
maybe have a group of members who are each responsible for looking for updates to certain documents eg once a week/fortnight to check for updates then posting the link on the forum/website. that way its not all down to Sarah/Sammie to trawl the Dfe ofsted websites every night. I would be happy to help.

SammySplodger
23-03-2013, 10:42 AM
It will be interesting to see how Agencies are supposed to do this, won't it?!
Will THEY have updates?

SammySplodger
23-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Have just tweeted DfEd to ask this. Surely they have to treat Agencies & Independent CMs equally?

snortlet
23-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Sometimes it feels like a full time job just keeping up to date with new osfted factsheets, changing policies and best practice. althought i am happy to do this i will not be happy to pay an agency staff member to do it for me. policies are so personal to us, our homes, families and working styles a blanket policy booklet from an agency would not work for us all.

Simona
23-03-2013, 05:19 PM
SammySplodger ...You are really getting confused and there is no need to be
The new Sageguarding Guidance came out last week and comes into effect on 15 April
It was the DfE intention to update it from the very thick documet to a very slimmed down one as it will be

Revised safeguarding statutory guidance - working together - Children and young people (http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/safeguardingchildren/protection/a00210235/consultation)

If you sign up to My Ofsted you get updates as and when they happen
All providers will get this news including cms whether they do or do not belong to an agency as Safeguarding is a Welfare Requirement...there is no question about 'equality' here it is their duty to keep us informed
Most LAs will probably flag it up soon and change their training accordingly...it is the EY dept that sends the news of any changes
Agencies have not been set up yet therefore it is not worth comparing or speculating??...safeguarding training has to be done according to LAs requirements not Agencies???

keeping updated is a question of sharing info, own research and getting updates from LAs..they are still up and running at present
Any changes will be flagged up by various dept

SammySplodger
23-03-2013, 07:22 PM
My LA does NOT tell me about these updates.
So it is entirely up to me to find out. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue!

I will find out precisely how you sign up to receive these alerts to put on the website.

phoenix2010
23-03-2013, 08:10 PM
SammySplodger ...You are really getting confused and there is no need to be
The new Sageguarding Guidance came out last week and comes into effect on 15 April
It was the DfE intention to update it from the very thick documet to a very slimmed down one as it will be

Revised safeguarding statutory guidance - working together - Children and young people (http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/safeguardingchildren/protection/a00210235/consultation)

If you sign up to My Ofsted you get updates as and when they happen
All providers will get this news including cms whether they do or do not belong to an agency as Safeguarding is a Welfare Requirement...there is no question about 'equality' here it is their duty to keep us informed
Most LAs will probably flag it up soon and change their training accordingly...it is the EY dept that sends the news of any changes
Agencies have not been set up yet therefore it is not worth comparing or speculating??...safeguarding training has to be done according to LAs requirements not Agencies???

keeping updated is a question of sharing info, own research and getting updates from LAs..they are still up and running at present
Any changes will be flagged up by various dept

sorry but I agree with Sammy , it is confusing

I am signed up with My OFSTED but I dont get updates

Nor do I get updates from my LA or local childminding association

I also registered for updates from my local safeguarding board , but they dont seem to come through anymore

It is quite a job keeping up with the changes and I think it would be great to have a one stop shop for these

I dont have time to check various websites and chase information around , it takes all my time doing my job, updating 5 learning journeys

I find that mostly I find out about changes from Sarah on fb or here , or other childminders on various facebook groups Im on

Often finding out about things by accident

not ideal is it ?

lizann
23-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Its the same in my area we get very little support now and the same as other posts often find out updates from here our la sometimes sends out emails with attachments which we cant open they have told on numerous occasions about this but have done nothing .....

SammySplodger
23-03-2013, 10:02 PM
See - we are having issues with updates before anything has changed - this is why I thought I'd flag it up. We will add it to the list :-)

Simona
23-03-2013, 10:49 PM
SammySplodger ...as far as I know updates have been sent in the usual way by LAs for a very long time and that is via emails.
Some LAs are better than others...have you challenged yours on the lack of updates?
Ofsted have also opted to send emails rather than individual letters...it is a money saving scheme
The issue about being independent is that we research, keep updated and share info as individual and independent businesses...otherwise we go to an agency and get all details from them...at a cost maybe?

Why has the issue of updates just surfaced ? it has no connection to agencies or anything else...remember what being independent means? self sufficient, self reliant, self-supporting and unaided, we need to get on and get used to the fact that things will change in future...we nned to adapt sooner rahter than later...my view of course!

sarah707
23-03-2013, 11:03 PM
SammySplodger ...as far as I know updates have been sent in the usual way by LAs for a very long time and that is via emails.
Some LAs are better than others...have you challenged yours on the lack of updates?
Ofsted have also opted to send emails rather than individual letters...it is a money saving scheme
The issue about being independent is that we research, keep updated and share info as individual and independent businesses...otherwise we go to an agency and get all details from them...at a cost maybe?

Why has the issue of updates just surfaced ? it has no connection to agencies or anything else...remember what being independent means? self sufficient, self reliant, self-supporting and unaided, we need to get on and get used to the fact that things will change in future...we nned to adapt sooner rahter than later...my view of course!

that is exactly what we are trying to do - involve forum members, ask questions, get everyone thinking about how we will manage things in the future.

we cannot meet the needs of independent childminders in the future if we don't know what those needs are going to be - hence this new forum area to involve eeveryone and a website to freely share information and a continuing commitment to consult with each other.

members are telling us, after sammy's question, that info sharing is going to be an area of concern.

we can start work on it now so an infrastructure is ready in place if needed,.

keep brainstorming guys your feedback is invaluable :D

SammySplodger
23-03-2013, 11:45 PM
keep brainstorming guys your feedback is invaluable :D

Yes - please tell us your concerns about staying independent and then we can investigate and gradually start to clarify issues.

It's unlikely that there will be answers immediately, but as events unfold over the coming months we can work on it together.

Some of our concerns might (I hope), turn out to be unduly pessimistic and, of that's the case, we can put those aside and move on.

Don't be concerned about asking about something that might seem daft or obvious. Chances are there are others thinking the same
:-)

SammySplodger
23-03-2013, 11:48 PM
'if' that's the case... blummin predictive text....

shortstuff
24-03-2013, 06:12 AM
I started up late last year and despite being signed up to various places where i should receive relevant updates i havent received one as yet. I find most of my info through you determined, dedicated people here on the forum.

With that in mind i would love to be able to view any regulatory changes on just one site. Maybe it could be set to send subscribers a blanket email stating updates have been made? If we sing up to it.

Also things such as Ms Truss's efforts. If they could be posted it would be great.

Sammy and Sarah you are doing an amazing job as usual. I dont know how you fit it all in but i, for one am really grateful that you are there and that you care. So i just want to say thanks for your continueing drive and hard work.

lilac_dragon
24-03-2013, 07:38 AM
My LA does NOT tell me about these updates.
So it is entirely up to me to find out. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue!

I will find out precisely how you sign up to receive these alerts to put on the website.

My LA tells me nothing. I haven't seen or heard from my DO in over 3 years, and when I last spoke to her it was because she was new in post and wanted to introduce herself. She visited, we spoke, she advised me that I really ought to be doing some things in a different way, said "try that and I'll be in touch in a few weeks and come and go over it with you" Haven't seen her since. A few times she answered my messages asking her to phone me but all she said was she was too busy to get back to me. I have no idea if she's alive, dead or left!
When the training directory's were still in use, I would have to phone EVERY year and ask to be sent one. I was always asked "We have no record of you, have you moved recently?" My answer, every year, was no I've been here since 1990.
Despite registering with MY Ofsted I don't receive any updates. If it was not for this site I wouldn't know half of what I do about the Agency situation.

An enormous Thank You from me for all the hard work that you all do. x

margaret
24-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I get the updates from ofsted on what seems a weekly basis ,but they are not an easy read .Lots of people on this site complain/moan about ther Dos , local authority ,do you not put in complaints about them .

I have put in a complaint about my network co ordinator ,she is a very nice lady but absolutely useless at the job,can never answer questions ,reads straight from her notes ,no teaching skills what so ever,comes out to house forgets her paperwork/laptop ,regularly doesnt give herself time to get to appointments on time,tells you information will be put on blog when its already on and everyone has read it but her. She is now being shadowed at extra expense.

Simona
24-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Sarah I totally agree that we need to info share but we need to be positive and info share 'facts' and pertinent info

From the 2 posts below it is obvious that the LAs have not done their job for a very long time and failed to update cms...why has no one challenged them before?
They may have had their funding cut but that has only been in the last 2 years...reading from the info below some were failing cms even when they had full funding in place??

we appear to want the LAs to remain in place to give support to cms so we must make them accountable as to why they are not doing their duty...
once we get an answer we can even 'name' them
Their jobs are on the line as Truss wants to transfer their responsibilties to agencies...not all areas, as far as we know, will have agencies so the LAs will still have to do their job as should any associations we choose to belong to or belong already as most promise to keep us updated...are they?

For years I have regularly spoken or emailed my EY asking why I don't get this info or am not included in that meeting or unable to access something...their response has given me facts with which to argue with the DfE and get clarification...

phoenix2010
24-03-2013, 09:55 AM

We are being asked what support and info we need in order to remain independent , and so thats what people are doing , clearly this is an issue that is worth raising

It does have a connection to agencies , because I assume that anyone joining an agency will be fed this info in order to keep them up to date , independent minder will need to go elsewhere

If this new website is going to have a section where updates can be posted then thats great , it is all absolutely relative to remaining independent

Independent doesnt have to mean doing it all by yourself , if that was the case then this forum would never have existed

Jamik
24-03-2013, 12:39 PM
We get support from our LA but it is usually way after I have been given the information via other websites I am on. For example I was told this the Revised safeguarding statutory guidance - working together - Children and young people was now available this past week but probably won't hear it from the LA for another couple of weeks.

Simona
24-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Phoenix2010 I agree with you as well but this what I am trying to say (sorry...obviously not putting it very well): if independent cms get info from forums that will give the LAs a chance to think they do not have to do it while it is their duty to do so
What we then need to do is share and compare?

As an example: Network cms in my area know all about the 2 year old funding while non network cms do not..even though we are supposed to be included in the scheme?
I could share it here but it would make no sense as it is the LA that I need the info from?

One thing I would like to see is a request to 'standardise' how we get info whether independent or not?...does it make sense? probably not but I am pursuing that with the DfE

phoenix2010
24-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Phoenix2010 I agree with you as well but this what I am trying to say (sorry...obviously not putting it very well): if independent cms get info from forums that will give the LAs a chance to think they do not have to do it while it is their duty to do so
What we then need to do is share and compare?

As an example: Network cms in my area know all about the 2 year old funding while non network cms do not..even though we are supposed to be included in the scheme?
I could share it here but it would make no sense as it is the LA that I need the info from?

One thing I would like to see is a request to 'standardise' how we get info whether independent or not?...does it make sense? probably not but I am pursuing that with the DfE

Yes I agree , we should be getting all the information we need either from our LAs or in my case my local childminding association , but we dont

and I know what you are saying in that we should be pursuing them and asking them why the information is sadly lacking and why are we having to go elsewhere for the support and info we need

But to be honest with you , I choose to pick my battles carefully , I work 60 hours a week , am a single parent , Ive just spent today doing learning journals , I organise meets for a small group of minders , help other minders with their planning and paperwork and at the end of the day I dont have the energy to chase my local LA and ensure they do the job that they should

Call it apathy , but because all the alerts ive set up dont seem to work , and the various websites I need to check on a regular basis are so user unfriendly , I am going to find a quick and easy way of finding out what I need and thats it in a nutshell really

Im not in a network , Ive never been approached about funded places or being accredited , I guess Im just not in the gang , and that fine with me :D

It does mean that I have to find stuff out other ways and thats ok too :D

Simona
24-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Phoenix2010 I do hear what you are saying.
Just remember that LAs get £160m (that's over £1 between the 152 of them) and while we have to be 'accountable' to everyone they seem to have forgotten what that money is for (tax payers money after all ...so yours and mine) and accountable to no one how they spend it..except Truss does not like the fact that money does not trickle down to providers...it is the one thing I agree with the woman. Why she refuses to ringfence their funding is beyond me???

there is plenty in that money to pay us a decent funding and offer good support but no...where does it go?
We are in this mess because of them...if they had offered cms adequate support the agencies would not be happening now so before LAs disappear, to our disadvantage, lets bring them to answer a few question
I completed the ratio consultation today (at last) and moaned non stop about LAs...somehow I thought of a way to bring the subject up in every question (speaking to another cm today she told me how good her LA is...why can't they all be the same???)

The question of network has been my battle since 2008...sick and tired of the way they are run and have created a 2 tier of cms and an 'exclusive club for the few' at the expense of the majority of cms and children

Give it one last push...it is not apathy.. it's figthing to save our businesses..if I thought we could survive without LAs in future I would not bother with all this, somehow I feel we need them before they jump ship and go and work for the agencies at our expense??