PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for helping an 18 month old transition to a different country?

chocolateygoo
22-03-2013, 12:58 PM
My lovely 18 month old mindee is going back to his home country Germany in a few weeks time. They came over here when he was 12 months old, so wasn't really aware of that transition so much. But he's really settled in here, loves playing with my two children (aged 3 and 1), understands English, calls me 'Mummy X', knows his way around all the walks we do, the playgroups etc.

His parents and I are both worried about how to help him prepare and cope with the move back. E.g. we could start showing him pictures of where he'll be living and his new childminder, but how much will he understand and how much will that confuse him? He can't start doing visits, its too far away! Should we continue with his full time hours till he leaves, or gradually wind down his hours to make it less sudden?

We're planning a little leaving party for him, and we're hoping to stay in touch over Skype, and I'm going to give him a little book of photos of us all to look at.

Any other ideas gratefully received!

QualityCare
22-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Difficult to prepare a child for change when he's only 18mths, if mum has photo's of new childminder, her house and family and also their new house you could put them in a book and look at it each day with him naming the people etc. Not sure on the winding down as mum probably has lots of packing etc to do and will be easier if he sticks to routine. Do parents speak German with him at home, l have a family where mums is German so she speaks German at home with the children when they visit family which is frequent the children can understand what is going on, if they don't perhaps she ought to start introducing a few words with him. Its sad when they move on so young but as he's happily settled with you and formed a good relationship with you he will remember that and hopefully find the transition a bit easier.