PDA

View Full Version : Observations

Tealady
22-03-2013, 11:43 AM
In my Learning Journals I have a tracker type thing that feeds into my next steps/planning. I don't just tick off but put a couple of lines about what I saw.

I also have Wow Moments which I tie in with the EYFS and my planning. These have photos where possible

Additionally I have what I call Full Blown Observations where I have pictures taken, write up quite a bit on what was happening. Link it all in to the EYFS and then write up some next steps They are normally an A4 page.

However these are done when I observe something really interesting or a clear point where several lines of development come together. Some times they can be a few weeks apart but in some cases looking back I have a gap in some cases of a couple of months. Will these big gaps be deemed as insufficient in my upcoming inspection?

sarah707
22-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Observations don't necessarily need to be long or wordy - most of mine are brief snippets of info about what the child has done or said and their learning.

As long as you are regularly observing quality is much more important than quantity. :D

Tealady
22-03-2013, 06:33 PM
That's great and Thank-you. I normally think that way too (and that is what I'm doing) but I have Ofsted booked in for 3 weeks time so getting a bit jittery and doubting myself!

rosebud
22-03-2013, 07:19 PM
That's great and Thank-you. I normally think that way too (and that is what I'm doing) but I have Ofsted booked in for 3 weeks time so getting a bit jittery and doubting myself!

Be confident and ready to explain and justify the way you do things. There is no "right way" of doing things, its up to you how you format it. As long as you can demonstrate that children are progressing, that you cover all the areas of learning and that you plan for each child's individual needs (next steps) then you are doing it right. Good luck.

kats
23-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Rosebud that is exactly what my inspector said and she gave me outstanding!!!

Sweetpea
27-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Wow you're lucky getting Ofsted giving you three weeks notice for an inspection!

Hope it goes well

Tealady
28-03-2013, 02:32 PM
It's actually been more... My only LO on holiday when she wanted to come and not back until Tuesday. Has been in Austrailia for a nearly 3 weeks so Mrs O said she'd give me a week of him being back so he can settle in and get over his jetlag.... She seems like she understands LO's and is quite practical, not like the funny fanny I had last time!