View Full Version : Childminders Cars

01-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Hello All,

Ive just got a car ( a seven seater) purposly for childminding, yes stupid I know because of the price of fuel. But Ive been walking 2 hours 38 minutes every day and its killing me!

What I want to know is how I put this through my accounts. Can I put the cost of the car through my accounts? How do I claim for mileage (eg should I keep a log of my childminding journeys) and how do I put through petrol on my books?

Is there anything I should claim for aswell. I dont want it to be a car totally for business because I do intend on using it for my own family too at weekends.

I havn't got a clue where to start with it all and I want to make sure Im doing it properly.

Katie x

01-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I think I'm right in saying that unfortunately because the car was not bought solely for child minding use then you cannot claim for it :( I bought an 8 seater toyota and we would never have bought an 8 seater if I was not childminding but you can't claim for it unless you are just using it for childminding and nothing else.

Mileage is 40ppm which includes insurance, tax, petrol etc. The only thing you can claim extra is if you are charged more for business use than you would be charged without business use if you see what I mean.

Flippin ridiculous with the price of petrol at the mo as well:censored:

01-07-2008, 05:30 PM
i find it easier to do 40p a mile

01-07-2008, 05:35 PM
same as above, I find it easier to work out the 40p per mile:D

04-07-2008, 11:53 AM

I went on a hmrc self employment short course and was told that you can claim the cost incurred of your vechile against your business. There are two methods
1. Apportionation (or some such word).
eg you've bought a vechile & you drove 10k mils in yr1, of which 7k mils was biz related. Therefore you can claim 70% of all related car costs eg road tax, servicing, maintainance, insurance plis business element.
2. Mileage, a flat rate of 40p per mile
The first favours older vechiles. However , the second is more popular as its more straight forward.
What ever method you choose, you MUST stick with for the life of that vechile.

As for the vechile itself, the biz portion is treated as a capital allowance, thus depriciates over a number of years, eg car cost you £1000, biz useage is 70% thus only £700 is shown in your accounts. More info on this can be found on the hmrc website.


05-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your replys

08-07-2008, 09:20 AM
I have a question too. We have a car through a scheme at my hubbys work and pay a monthly fee and after 9 months it goes back and we collect another. If we went for a 7 seater because of me using the car for minding can i put the difference between the choice of our original 5 seater and the larger 7 seater through the books as i would have not gone for the larger car otherwise. I do currently deduct 40p per mile and put through the difference between normal car ins and the higher motorminder insurance

01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Hiya, another car related question ..... I'm keen to go down the 40ppm route - how do I show this on the accounts book? Do I just write 'trip to farm - 10 miles = £4 expenses' - do I need to keep all petrol receipts or just the ones where my mileage would go over £10?

What does everyone else do?

Thanks, Liz x