PDA

View Full Version : Cathy Nutbrown speaks out against plans to increase ratios

miffy
22-03-2013, 07:38 AM
BBC News - Nursery ratio plans criticised by government adviser (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21876719)

Will they listen?

Miffy xx

jelly15
22-03-2013, 07:39 AM
BBC News - Nursery ratio plans criticised by government adviser (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21876719)

Will they listen?

Miffy xx

Not a hope in hells change will the government back down :angry:

sarah707
22-03-2013, 07:51 AM

Will they listen?

Miffy xx

I just spotted that too! I am so pleased she has spoken out. there is an excellent article in Nursery World magazine about it as well -

Nutbrown slams 'More Great Childcare' plans | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/1175154/Nutbrown-slams-More-Great-Childcare-plans/)

:D

angeldelight
22-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Not a hope in hells change will the government back down :angry:

That's what I think too

Angel xx

bunyip
22-03-2013, 08:01 AM
This is the problem with a regime that takes a financial management approach to every challenge.

Nutbrown's research was always going to be cherry-picked for snippets of information which appeared support the Tory money-led doctrine. As soon as she asks them to take a balanced view and consider all her findings, they just shout her down.

Once again, we see the intellectual rigour of this regime. Their only argument to counter Nutbrown's criticism is the repeat their original flawed plan a little more loudly.

If anything, this proves NCMA/PACEY were absolutely correct to refuse to sit on the panel which will set up the agency model. Truss just wants a list of 'names' (trade associations, organisations, academics, individuals) to give her plans credibility: she has no interest in proper consultation.
:mad:

Simona
22-03-2013, 08:06 AM
If you read that report by the BBC it allows you to comment...please do
No.... the govt is not going to listen to us...what chance have we got if they ignore such talent as Prof Nutbrown?...but in the end it is up to us to decide what to do for the best about the ratio matter...beats me why they need to tamper with it when the EYFS allows for an increase at our professional discretion? (Page 21 EYFS 2012)

The BBC mentions ratios in relation to nurseries but not a word about cms...we too are affected by the higher ratio and while Prof Nutbrown has come out in defence of cms the BBC fails to even mention us
There are in total 96,000 providers ...54,000 are cms...we deserve more than a mention...stand up and be counted!

Prof Nutbrown's report is posted elsewhere in this forum...to get the full benefit read that rather than what the BBC has chosen to pick as news!!!

I would like to comment on Pacey's stance of not sitting around the table for discussion...no one wants them to shape the agencies but they could be there to listen or observe instead of leaving that to other associations ?
We have clearly told Pacey we do not want agencies but members have not told them not to take their seat around the table....as a member I resent that as do many others!
Their place is now taken by those shaping the agencies leaving cms in a worrying state of confusion and anger!!

Simona
22-03-2013, 11:02 AM
There is a flurry of tweets this morning about Prof Nutbrown' reaction
Some peple have only just discovered her report, it was out start of the week and I posted it early in the morning
I also send an email to Prof Nutbrown to thank her

What is annoying is that they are all mentioning nurseries as if cms are not affected by ratios. I have been tweeting all morning 'correcting' the information and reminding everyone that there are 54,000 cms out of 96,000 providers..so we are the majority!
Prof Nutbrown values cms and respects us

You may not be aware that the DfE has also commissioned a research by Prof Penn and Prof Lloyd but it won't release it...the speculation is that it is damning...even Sharon Hodgson called for it to be published
Prof Penn calls the reforms 'grotesque' ...I heard her say that on 4 Dec in front of Truss at the Daycare Trust conference I attended

All these experts are actually challenging the govt and I feel inspired by them to challenge too...I hope it is a wake up call to the many sleepwalking cms!

The Juggler
22-03-2013, 01:55 PM
if the Government won't listen to it's own advisors who they commission to advise and to Cathy Nutbrown who did a whole review on their behafl - what chance have we got they will listen to us.

The damage this bill will do will take decades to undo - it's frightening :panic: