PDA

View Full Version : the fees in news

meria
22-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Talking to mom yesterday.
Told her id got another little one coming she says
"rather you than me, but good money"
I said "not really mom im slogging my guts out 50-60 hours a week sometimes for less than minium wage, but i do love it"

punchline
"oh whats all this on news, i thought you was rakeing it in"

OMG y is every1 so deluded by the news.

clareelizabeth1
22-03-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't think anyone ever sits down to think about it. It's mostly because lots of nursery a are charging over £6 an hour so they all think we do to. They don't seam to think about the fact we have to stick to a ratio, don't always have children every hour so don't earn that much. No one realised that with what we are paid we have to buy resources I had one parent telling there child to grab some paper before leaving I stopped them and asked and they were all like well the government gives it to u y would u care. I said I got it out of my own money parent was very sheepish. But since has always made sure I get first pick out of any toys her little one out grows.

peppa Pig
22-03-2013, 07:37 AM
I suppose if we had no costs the money would be good. Parents often don't realise how much it costs them to look after their own children, probably best not add it up sometimes it's scary:) so they have no idea of our net income and how much if the hourly rate is spent on their child and how much we keep as wages.

childminder54
22-03-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm only charging £3 a hour half of the minimum wage. Would these people who are moaning got to work for that no

Angela234
22-03-2013, 10:01 AM
I work 4 full days (9 - 10 hours) for £3.75 and hour 3 days and £7.50 an hour 1 day £130 a week before expenses
I also have 2 grandchildren so either 2 or 3 (most days 3) under 19 months, very hard work for the money!
Good job I love it.

jellyelly
22-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I had a friend who told me she thought I was earning £18,000- 20,000 a year! I laughed and said I'd be lucky if earned half that, she replied oh that's rubbish you work nearly full time don't you? I thought you were raking it in!!!!!!!

Tealady
22-03-2013, 11:02 AM
I look at what is in my pocket at the end of the month. I have a three year old so would need full-time childcare for him. To be in a similar financial position that I'm in now I would need to earn well over £20k. That makes me feel a whole lot better about what is on paper at the end of the financial year.

NI MINDER
22-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I look at what is in my pocket at the end of the month. I have a three year old so would need full-time childcare for him. To be in a similar financial position that I'm in now I would need to earn well over £20k. That makes me feel a whole lot better about what is on paper at the end of the financial year.

thats the only way I can justify my income to myself . I used to work as secretary and around here would earn prob £16k for this. Then I would have to take out travel, childcare, extras like office clothes, lunches etc. When I work this out and compare with what I have left after childminding expenses I am better off. Wouldnt want to work out really. Love childminding, plus I get to do everything with my own kids at the same time. Perfect ............... well until they grow up and leave me :( .... then who knows what I will do :D

LauraS
22-03-2013, 12:10 PM

That's how I justify it too. I would be earning decent money if I had returned to my previous role, but would have been out of the house for eleven hours per day, paying for smart clothes and my commute, plus childcare for three children, two wrap around and one full time - maybe about 12k. I don't earn masses but I am full at the moment and after tax and expenses break even on what I would have brought home had I worked outside the home. Having the pleasure of raising my own children is the payoff.

shortstuff
23-03-2013, 07:06 AM
I so agree tealady and laura s. im loving being around for my ds as before i worked night shifts so i was always tired. Its all about putting it in perspective. Im actaully better off in so many ways. No more £50 per week in petrol for the commute. No more being a grump during school hols cause im tired n need sleep but cant. I get to claim a portion of my household bills which before i couldnt too. All positive in my opinion. Oh n my ds loves having someone other than me to play with too :-)

clareelizabeth1
23-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Never thought about childcare costs I would have if I didn't have this job. Don't think I would be able to get a job that paid enough I am to firmly qualified for childcare and nothing else

jackie 7
24-03-2013, 02:49 PM
i was asked by a parent why i stopped being a nanny. didnt want to say that if they come to me i will be earning more money than as a nanny but my expenses are high. If i told them my rent was £300 a week they would fall over in shock. but i can charge higher than other places. Please nice people come to me i want to get a car!!

toddlers896
24-03-2013, 04:05 PM
My hubby was speaking to his uncle the other day and he asked what I did, when my hubby told him he said oh that's really good money. mmmm wonder where he got that from!!!

ziggy
24-03-2013, 05:54 PM
i have 2 full timers n 2 part timers, just worked it out that i earn £7.15 an hour, not a fortune but then i love what i do and love working from home especially when the weather is bad. I could earn more by taking on schoolies but will enjoy the peace from them while i can