PDA

View Full Version : Observations and linking to seven areas

toddlers896
21-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Ime just reviewing my Observations AGAIN and was wondering what the majority of people do with regards to the seven areas of learning. Do you just write PD PSED etc or do you write PD - handling PSED Making relationships. Ive done both now and cant make up my mind how I want to do it. I have started using the NCMA stickers and quite like this idea but my obs look bare and ime afraid ime not putting enough info on them

BuggsieMoo
21-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Are your breaking down your obs so for instance - A is playing with the building bricks building a tower. As A builds this tower he recites some of the number names in seques - Maths - Recites some number names in order and the relevant age bracket?

The Juggler
21-03-2013, 02:25 PM
i write my observation then underneath I would write for e.g.

Evaluation:
PSED: Making Relationships (30-50m)

and a short explanation of what the observation shows (just one line/statement)

toddlers896
21-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Are your breaking down your obs so for instance - A is playing with the building bricks building a tower. As A builds this tower he recites some of the number names in seques - Maths - Recites some number names in order and the relevant age bracket?

Initialy I was just putting a short description of what the child was doing for example eating my youghurt with my fingers and spoon PD health & self care
but now i am writing a small paragraph describing everything, more like an observation and then just putting an ncma sticker next to it.

Its tricky because if I do the original theres not enough description of what they are doing and if i do the other option Ime not writing anything about what it links to and if i do both then ime doing too much.

moggy
21-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I write the obs and put 'PD' 'PSED' 'EAD' etc next to it.
I do not try to find a reference to my obs in DM, it is a waste of time IMHO: DM is just a rough guide to what things a child MIGHT do at certain ages, we can not match every obs to a statement in DM.

3-times a year I then look at the DM statements and obs and see where child is fitting by stage/age in each of the 7 areas. This is how I track that progress is being made and child is not falling behind anywhere.

funemnx
21-03-2013, 02:57 PM
i write my observation then underneath I would write for e.g.

Evaluation:
PSED: Making Relationships (30-50m)

and a short explanation of what the observation shows (just one line/statement)

I do this too :thumbsup:

toddlers896
21-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I do this too :thumbsup:

Bring one tomorrow, i would love to see how others do theirs.:clapping:

funemnx
21-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Will do :thumbsup: