PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary NI & maternity pay?

lucyD
20-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Can anyone help..I tried ringing HMRC but they are on strike today :(

I am just planning ahead as we are trying for a baby. I only started working in August 2012. I have reg as self employed & also reg for self assessment online. It says I do not have to do a tax return on my account online and I am not sure why as was expecting to do one this year. However I have only earnt £4700 so far so wont pay tax anyway. My question is how do I keep up with my NI payments as have not paid any since Aug? I want to pay ASAP as I think I need to have paid them to get any maternity pay from the government? is that right?

Tazmin68
20-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Yes you need to have been paying then for some time. I pay mine monthly direct debit.
I don't understand why you do not have to do self assessment u an sure I did when I first started minding as I started in the Feb 2006 I am sure I did then for the Feb to April and then also put my employed earnings for earlier that tax year. You will need to do a return after 5 April it will not let you do It any earlier. The test period maternity allowance look at is 66 weeks before due date just found that in google. You will get a letter from tax office telling you to submit tax return usually around 10 April that's when u usually get mine

zippy
20-03-2013, 09:44 PM
You need to have paid the class 2 ni I think it is, 2.25 a week or one thing silly, you'll have paid enough if you start it now I think

lucyD
20-03-2013, 09:55 PM
ok fab will try & get through tom & ask them. I am sure I would have had to do a tax return too, thats why I checked as its nearly end of tax year & not heard anything :panic:

BuggsieMoo
21-03-2013, 07:37 AM
ok fab will try & get through tom & ask them. I am sure I would have had to do a tax return too, thats why I checked as its nearly end of tax year & not heard anything :panic:

As long as you have registered with HMRC as self employed then when they send out the self-assessments you will get one. Wouldnt worry that you havent had one yet - you wont get it until April/May depending where you fall on the print outs.

As for the baby side of thing - NI contributions go up in April 2013 (just got my letter informing me of this) and the new rates for Vol Class 2 are £2.70 per week.

You can call HMRC about NI contributions (which you can pay monthly or 6 monthly by DD) on 08459154655 or you can write to them at:

HMRC NI Contributions Office
Self Employment Services
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

You will be granted exception from paying as your earnings are low - but I believe that if you dont pay - when excempt you can pay anyway, this is what I do as id rather be able to claim ESA and MA should I need it (even if excempt, then you will not qualify for MA - certainly what HMRC told me many moons ago when we brooched the subject of a baby and MA).

Good luck with getting pregnant as well. We are also trying again after suffering a miscarriage a couple of weeks back.

xxxx

lucyD
21-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks. I managed to contact them today, and I have already paid one lot of NI back in Oct (can't even remember that) & due again April. I DO need to do tax return but they will send me that after 6th April! So I am very pleased as that means I will qualify for MA when the time comes.hopefully soon :-)

Thanks ladies x