PDA

View Full Version : first day

NAOMIM221
01-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi All

I started my first day yesterday with two after schoolers (5yrs & 8yrs), picked them up from school okay, and got back home, but I just felt from them on they rang rings around me, constantly opening the baby gate and running in the hall, the little girl kept trying to pick up my 8 month old thinking he is a toy or shoving his juice bottle in his mouth. I'd ask them not to do something and they just wouldn't listen. So i'm feeling a bit down about it this morning, i keep telling myself that it was just a different enviroment for them. But then to make it worse yesterday then mom rang me at 5:20 and said she would be a few minutes late and then ended up sending her eldest son round to pick them up at 6.30, she then rang me and said that she would come round later with the payment for the week and then never turned up. She wants me to have them in the school holidays which I've agreed, but after this poor start I just feel like ending giving notice.

Naomi

Pedagog
01-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Have you sat them down and explained the house rules? ie the baby is a real baby and not a doll etc.

At 5 and 8 they should be more than able to follow simple instructions.

babyandchild
01-07-2008, 08:08 AM
ok, take a deep breath!

This was day one...sit the children down tonight and calmly talk about your house rules. Explain that your baby really doesn't like being picked up every few minutes and that you'll give him his juice when he needs it.
Maybe have an activity planned for this evening or have a range of toys out ready for the children to play with when you get them home.

Speak to mum tonight and explain that as per your contract you need payment in advance - on the first day of care each week etc.

See how things go over the next few days, and don't be scared to set and stick to rules in your home.
This is probably just a period of adjustment for the children, I had a little girl after school who in week 1 would just empty toy boxes all over the floor!
By week 2/3 the novelty wore off (and I asked her to tidy them all away again, which she didn't like!) and she was lovely to look after.

Best of luck for tonight, please don't worry I'm sure you will be fine.

Michelle x

sarah707
01-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Your house your rules!

Make it an easy tea (or even pre-prepare) next time you have them so you can spend some time really talking to them and getting to know them.

Get them to help you put together a list of their own rules and do not give way until they have thought it through, including their own sanctions if they misbehave. Try and make it a positive experience with them - at Naomi's house, we close the stair gate / at Naomi's house, we walk inside and run outside ... that sort of thing ... and really praise when they remember.

It depends a lot on what they are allowed to get away with at home, but they will quickly learn that in your house, things are different.

Try and stay positive with them they might not get a lot of positives at home and may need some encouragement and keep them busy ... like the old adage goes, the devil makes work for idle hands.

Good luck! :D

angeldelight
01-07-2008, 08:13 AM
First day - they are testing you

It is really important that you set your ground rules immediatly - have a chat with them and tell them what you expect
Explain that you want them to have fun but it is your house now and they must respect that

Be firm its only early days yet but they will soon get the message - you are incharge not them just make sure they understand this

It is a lovely day today so hopefully you can sit in the garden with them and arrange some activitys

I agree you do need to speak to mom this evening - dont worry about it just explain you need to get paid in advance

Did you explain that you would charge for late fees ??

Sometimes when we get new children start we are really excited and have high expectations - then sometimes it does not go to plan we are all the same and we have all no doubt been in this sort of situation so dont panic

I have twins who try to run rings around me they have been coming for a few years now and still try it on - you just have to be firm

Good luck hope it all works out for you

Angel xx

Blackhorse
01-07-2008, 08:36 AM
sounds like great advice you already got there..
Just wanted to add that you should not feel bad after the first day..
as angel said they were testing you... if you stick to your guns over the next few days I am sure things will improve. ( I remember when I was in school and we had a new teacher we would be up to all sorts to see how they would react...find our boundaries etc...with our other teachers we used to be like little angels - well most of the time anyway - it's part of the deal I guess)

I can imagine though it must be quite hard getting through the first day.. I am not up and running yet but I am looking forward to the first day with mixed feelings... excitment and a bit of worry how things will turn out.
But you're the adult and it is your home so your rules.:thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on over the next few days...

Nicole

miss muffit
01-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Great advice already given,

sounds like Mum needs to be set straight as well

best of luck :) be thinking of you today :)

Saz
01-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Hiya

Good to hear that you have some mindees, hopefully things will settle down with them in the next few days.

Great advice from everyone. But definately need to sort out the late pickup and non-payment. This is a business after all. Good luck and I hope today is a better day for you.

Sarah
x

littletreasures
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
They have to know your house rules.

I have just had a before and after schooler start. She is an only child and is not used to little ones. When they go near her and what she is playing with she shoos them away.

She will not leave the animals alone, always calling them etc.

I just reiterate the rules as and when, we are on week 3 now and she is getting better.

They have to learn a new set of rules in your setting than they have had before so it will take a while.

Also, so has Mum. Make sure she knows what your rules regarding payment and lateness are and stick to your guns!!!

Good luck

NAOMIM221
02-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Hi Everyone, thanks for your replies it made me feel a lot better.

Yesterday seem to go a lot better I sat them down and went through the house rules which they seem to understand and take in, and the 2 hours seem to go so much better than Monday.

I spoke to their mom on the phone at lunchtime and spoke to her about the lateness and the late payment, she understood and could not apologise enough, she picked them up last night (10 mins late) and she paid me and apologised again.

So we will see how today goes.

Thanks again everyone.
Naomi
:clapping:

angeldelight
02-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Glad you seem to have got a few issues sorted out - well done to you

Hope today is a good one

Angel xx

nell57
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Just wanted to say stay strong and hope things get better for you

Hope you have a good day

Helen

caza
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Just wanted to say sorry you had a bad first day but I think the first day in any new job can overwhelming. Hope things keep getting better and better for you :thumbsup: