PDA

View Full Version : Help with Variation

pinklady756
20-03-2013, 05:48 PM
How long is considered acceptable for a child to be attending if you need variation for sibling?

I have a little one that has only been coming for a couple of weeks (filled my last space under 3), but parent now asking if sibling can come here instead of pre-school from April term and also can I have them another day too as she's been offered an extra day at work. I only have 1 space that day at the moment so would mean 4 under 5 then too. Also do variations have to be short-term? as it would be until older sibling starts school in Sept.

I hate having to decide it all myself, I preferred asking to get a straight forward yes or no answer.

sarah707
20-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Is the child settled? Does the child feel like part of the group already? Would it be a wrench for parents to have to move the child and find alternative care?

I believe that 'continuity of care' means all these things would be damaged if the child was moved and the child would possibly be upset and unsettled as a result.

Hth :D

pinklady756
22-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks Sarah, you've just helped to confirm all the things I thought. :)

phoenix2010
22-03-2013, 10:49 AM
I had this last year , I took on 2 new children in august and they had only been with me 2 weeks when one of my old parents asked for an extra morning and another old parent asked to swap days

It meant having 4 under 5 for 2 mornings per week , and I decided to do it , even though my newbies were very new , they both settled in incredibly well and I would be torn between potentially losing children that had been here for one and two years respectively or asking my new little ones to leave , which is crazy and would have been very upsetting for them

It works really well, my longest serving mindee leaves next week and I will be back to having 3 , so it ended up only being for a short time anyway