PDA

View Full Version : preparing for possible battle

Memina
20-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi all just after a bit of advice really as I'm expecting a possible complaint from parents.

I have E on a shift pattern so every day hours are different however they always drop off late!

Today I put my foot down and said id be leaving on time and they would have to meet where I am as I wont be back until 12.30. Well didnt get a response other than 'we'll be late' but they still havent arrived!!!

Have I done the right thing? I was thinking I'd write a formal letter but what should I include?

QualityCare
20-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Yes if you have somewhere to be, l would do just the same as you, we are not at the beck and call of one set of parents.

bunyip
20-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I do exactly the same. :)

loocyloo
20-03-2013, 02:51 PM
i just go where i have to go, when i have to go!

i have one mum who is habitually late, so on the days when i really need her child on time ( ie .. planning a bus trip and bus won't wait ... hard to catch us up on the bus! ) i tell her & text her in the morning ... she usually just about manages it. even though she knows i go out & about, she just doesn't 'get' that she has to be on time ( i know nursery are struggling with her time keeping too! )

jillplum
20-03-2013, 02:52 PM
I tell the parents where I will be at what time and they xan meet up with me when it suits them.

wendywu
20-03-2013, 02:54 PM
The other children in the setting should not miss out because of one parent. So she can complain all she likes :angry:

mazza58
20-03-2013, 03:26 PM
yes I tell parents that if they are late and i have activities to go to they will have to bring child to me there as it is not fair on the other children missing out as someone as said

jelly15
20-03-2013, 03:36 PM
I had one set of parents who were both self employed so the would turn up whatever t ime it suited them. I started leaving texts of where we would be. They soon got the message.

phoenix2010
20-03-2013, 03:37 PM
If Ive planned to go out then I go out, if a parent calls and says they will be 5 or 10 minutes late then Ill hang on but if they dont bother ringing or are going to be any later than that then they have to come a find me

its really rude of them , and Ive started charging too

i recently had a mum couldnt pick up so dad was travelling from another city , I said thats fine we will be at soft play , heres the post code , apparently Dad couldnt find it , even though he has sat nav , my mobile number and has been there before ?? really ??

anyway I met him back at home and charged them the extra 3 hours , if it happens again ill charge them double, but what if it had been a hospital appointment and not soft play , no consideration and i thin some parents dont consider that you look after other children too

littlemiss60561
20-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Absolutely you've done the right thing. I commented a few days ago about the same thing. I used to get fed up of lateness of one family and as i rely on Public transport if we dont leave by x theres no point going to some drop ins etc . I used to leave a message with both parents And put a note on the door to meet us at wherever. Dad tried to get a ( stranger t him) play worker at the drop in to keep hold until my bus arrived as he got there before the bus did! shocking! Collection was the worst, and hour and 20 mins late with no apology . Dad fell asleep. The 15.00 late charge was not appreciated but tough! But some think we are at their beck and call don't they.
I did a newsletter with where we go and the times we leave to get there.

blue bear
20-03-2013, 04:20 PM
On the very first parent visit I always tell them that I am out and about often and they will have to meet me wherever if not on time. Never had a problem with this, parents always more than happy.

Memina
20-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Well E hasnt come at all today! No call no message nothing! So I will be writing them a letter with where I am and telling them from now on 5 mins is the most I will wait.

chezzagriff
21-03-2013, 09:54 AM
I have a friend who text a late parent saying they had gone to wherever. The parent then turned up at the house with child and said to my friends husband "I will just wait in here until they get back"!!!! Husband said no and parent wasnt happy.I couldnt believe it when I heard this story.

The Juggler
21-03-2013, 10:05 AM
i'd be going out too :thumbsup:

Memina
21-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Well spoke to mum this morning at drop off and she had no idea that dad hadnt brought E yestersay at all or even communicated at all with me.

I mentioned that its not fair on the other children and that they should start getting into the habbit of being a bit more organised as when she starts school in September they will not tolerate lateness nor will I as I will not be late for my daughter.

Any who do you think I should put this in writing? Maybe ask them to sign?

jelly15
21-03-2013, 02:00 PM
I would give them a chance and if they don't improve then I would give a written warning of notice and look for new clients.