PDA

View Full Version : Baby who wont sleep without bottle

JCrakers
20-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I've got a new baby who started in Feb. he's a sweetie, was 6.5m and now he's nearly 8m.

The only problem I have is he won't go to sleep without a bottle in his mouth. So I have to use the pushchair for sleeping which is fine, as I have to watch him while he drops off. He's quite a light sleeper too and won't sleep for long.
But somedays its quite difficult as I obviously have other children who can't be quiet while he's dropping off to sleep but I can't sit in another room for 10mins while he goes to sleep as I have to watch him with his milk.
I can't use the travel cot upstairs because he screams, even though he's not hungry. He's just had a huge lunch but now he's tired.
I wondered about suggesting a dummy....but some parents don't like them
Any ideas ?

Tazmin68
20-03-2013, 06:17 PM
I have a 10 month old like this but I have to rock her while she has her milk and only can put her down after she has been asleep for 15 minutes. As soon as a phone rings or another child makes a noise she then wakes up but that is it until she has a bottle in the afternoon and then because I then do school run she is then woken up. It's a nightmare with the other children.

Daisy1956
20-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Same here, I have a 14month old who has a bottle to go to sleep.I am gradually trying him in pram but have to rock him but find it better than bottle, I found he would wake after 20mins after bottle with wind I think. but when I rock him in the pram once he is asleep he does sleep longer. I will just about have him sorted put when he leaves in four weeks, but hey-ho such is life.

Mouse
20-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I have a mindee who falls asleep with his bottle. I put him in the buggy, but don't fully recline it so he's not completely flat. The layout of my house means I can put him in one room, the other children in the other & hover between the rooms until he's asleep & I can take the bottle away & lie him flat.

Rubybubbles
20-03-2013, 08:45 PM
I've got a new baby who started in Feb. he's a sweetie, was 6.5m and now he's nearly 8m.

The only problem I have is he won't go to sleep without a bottle in his mouth. So I have to use the pushchair for sleeping which is fine, as I have to watch him while he drops off. He's quite a light sleeper too and won't sleep for long.
But somedays its quite difficult as I obviously have other children who can't be quiet while he's dropping off to sleep but I can't sit in another room for 10mins while he goes to sleep as I have to watch him with his milk.
I can't use the travel cot upstairs because he screams, even though he's not hungry. He's just had a huge lunch but now he's tired.
I wondered about suggesting a dummy....but some parents don't like them
Any ideas ?

Poor mite is using his bottle for comfort like a dummy, safety wise a dummy would be better, and if only used for sleep should be fine! I think too many people use dummies now to 'shh' a child instead of listening to them:(

(for the record, I have 2 children, 1 had a dummy the other didn't!)