PDA

View Full Version : children ratios, advice needed please.

honey
03-01-2008, 10:45 PM
does anybody look after 4 under 5's. I have had a lady phone me tonight asking if i have a space for a 19th month old.
I already look after 1 : 15month, 1 : 20 month, 1: 4 yr old. My 2 boys are now 8 and 11yrs. Do you think i would be able to take on another one??????

My registration says 3 under 5's one of which can be under 1, but was going to ask if it can be changed, would this be possible.:(

carolinel
03-01-2008, 10:48 PM
You would have to contact Ofsted and ask for an extension.
Some on here have been granted one, though normally it is for siblings or to allow continuity of care.
You'll probably get more thorough advice from some of the others.

honey
03-01-2008, 10:50 PM
mmmm thats what i thought i would have to do. the woman needs to know by tommorrow, as she starts back to work on monday

mrsbumbles
03-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I have just had the go ahead to care for 4 under 4s, you have to write to Ofsted to have your registration amended, Ofsted called me yesterday and went through a few questions with me about how i would transport children safely etc, and then told me i had the go ahead to do so. Its worth a try , i know 4 minders including myself who have be granted this.

Lou
04-01-2008, 10:41 AM
You wouldnt be able to give her an answer straight away.

You would have to write to ofsted and then wait for them to get back to you.

I have had variations granted in the past, and so have others, but as Caroline said Ofsted will only grant it, if it is for continuity of care, ie a child you already care for wanting extra days, or siblings, ie a child you already care for, has a new sibling that parent wants you to care for also.

THey wouldnt just let you take an extra one on i dont think.

Hope that makes sense.

Sarsar3NCH
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I agree with Lou, Ofsted look for the continuity of care aspect. You can get an answer a bit quicker if you contact them by email but you must include ages names and details of times for all children as well as details of how you will care for extended numbers (i.e. equipment, age ranges, safety, managing outings/activities etc), if emailing they also require it to have a signature on. But by doing this I have managed to get a same day answer before but you need to chase them (I have also had to wait for weeks too!).

Good luck

Sarah

ruby
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
we looked after 4 under 5 and 3 5-8yrs but applied to have a variance to look after 5 under 5 and 2 5-8yrs as one of our mindees was moving and then didn't as we already had some one to fill her place phoned c.s.i.w and had to fill forms in and say how we would transport them etc but it only took a couple of weeks

cathy

Rubybubbles
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
why do people leave it so late!! agreee with what Lou said! I've had 4 under 4 before but as the 3 yr old(turning 4 in March) then was starting school full time in the April it was granted, not heard of anyone just being able to have 4 unders just because?

If your out there let us know!:)

LittleMissSparkles
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
mmmm thats what i thought i would have to do. the woman needs to know by tommorrow, as she starts back to work on monday

TOMMOROW !!!! shes leaving it late to arrange childcare isnt she ....

Twinkles
04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
I can't believe that she's left it so late! You'd think that arranging care for her child would be her top priority.
I'm in the process of asking for a variation too, but just because a mum has changed her hours. First time i've had to ask in 13yrs so i hope they'll be kind!

sarah707
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Ofsted and child-care experts advise a good long settling-in process to make sure the parent / childminder partnership is established before the parent goes off to work for a full day... plus you won't know whether you and the child are suited to each other... and your first month should be a graduated settling in period!

Don't let the parent's enthusiasm / lack of organisational skills panic you into taking on something you're not sure about... you're talking about a lot of children which is fine until something goes wrong!

I've done it in the past, I think I was frightened of saying 'no' - but it was always the wrong thing. I am now better at saying 'no'....

smartie
04-01-2008, 08:28 PM
It took me 4 weeks to get an extension on my numbers.

Bristol Ofted would not let me mind the extra child until I had my certificate in my hands. The letters/phone calls to make the decision took just under two weeks, the Certificate then took a further 14 days as it had to be on file or notice (or some such?). And this was supposed to be an emergency as the child I was having was a young sibling of an existing after school mindee, who had been literally 'kicked out' of Nursery with no notice period.

I think you may have to pass this over to another childminder on this occasion who has an existing vacancy.

I would add - looking after 4 under fives was HARD WORK!

Lou
04-01-2008, 08:29 PM
It took me 4 weeks to get an extension on my numbers.

Bristol Ofted would not let me mind the extra child until I had my certificate in my hands. The letters/phone calls to make the decision took just under two weeks, the Certificate then took a further 14 days as it had to be on file or notice (or some such?). And this was supposed to be an emergency as the child I was having was a young sibling of an existing after school mindee, who had been literally 'kicked out' of Nursery with no notice period.

I think you may have to pass this over to another childminder on this occasion who has an existing vacancy.

I would add - looking after 4 under fives was HARD WORK!

Where do you live?

Bristol is my local OFSTED too (if thats the right expression)

Banana
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
me too

x

Lou
04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Yes of course, we really should get together some time Lana, (if you want to that is)

we are quite close

Banana
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I know!

We should! Im a bit stuck on transport but im more than able to get around locally....... if you ever fancy a trip to the beach!

xx

Lou
04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
I drive, so perhaps we should arrange something soon

hmmmm beach, you know how i feel about winter Lana!!!!

Definatly in the summer, in fact in June i might go to the beach everyday, in the interests of mindees of course

Banana
04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh yes.... your issue with winter lol

Well there's always wacky warehouse or the museum (which is not that great though)

Maybe when its spring we could do the beach - its really not that bad if you wrap up warm you know :D

xx

Lou
04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Gosh i didnt know there was a wacky warehouse, im up for that, as long as there is coffee.

As son as the sun comes out ill be at the beach lol