PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to continue beibg a childminder?

noreenismail
20-03-2013, 10:56 AM
I am currently recovering from major abdominal surgery (umbilical hernia and recti diastasis repair) This is the 3rd time I've had this operation.

I've been advised to stay away from exercises, lifting, pushing etc for 6 weeks and then take it very slowly.

Im very scared that once I start working and have the children ranging from 12 months to 4 years here, my hernia will reoccur.

I dont want to have another operation. I cant bear to see my boys (2 & 4) desperate for me to hug and play with them and I can't. Mother in law is doing a wonderful job looking after them and managing the house. Unfortunately I cant keep her here she only visiting from Pakistan so going in a few weeks.

Is there any way I can limit the amount of lifting and pushing I need to do on day to day basis.

I dont need to do school run as only have son to collect and can get friends to bring him home.

I have a large garden with lots for the children to do. So the mindees spend most of the time outside in all weather's as there is a carport they play under if it is raining.

Im not sure what would be best, do I jack it all in and get a desk job?
But I love being a childminder and have worked so hard building it up, but think it may be the reason for reoccurring hernia

I'm not sure what to do and it's all making me so emotional.

Any advice?

Thank for reading the long post.
Noreen.

shortstuff
20-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Im sorry but i dont have an answer for you. I think really you are the only one who knows how you feel, the little ones you have on your books at the moment and how much lifting is involved. I think you should be honest with parents and if you want to give it a try after you are healed let the parents know that you will see how you go.

merry
20-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Would it be possible to switch to having only older children who don't need to be picked up and don't need pushchair/highchair,etc? If you really have no choice, be very strict about not lifting the children, sit down if they want a cuddle, they can climb on your knee, feed them on a mat on the floor, give any groups and outings a miss until you feel better. The first weeks after major surgery are emotional anyway, best to wait until you feel better before making any major decisions, take your recovery time to look at other jobs and see what else is out there. No job is worth wrecking your health for:group hug:

:)

noreenismail
20-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll see how I feel as I recover. Im going to start work with an assistant who will help with the lifting etc. For or the first couple of weeks. I think I will then be in a better position to decide what to do.

I cant really see myself going back to a desk job.

hectors house
21-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll see how I feel as I recover. Im going to start work with an assistant who will help with the lifting etc. For or the first couple of weeks. I think I will then be in a better position to decide what to do.

I cant really see myself going back to a desk job.

I would keep the assistant on for as many days as you can afford while you recover and maybe see if one day a week is harder than the rest, if you can have an assistant for that day - I did this last year when I had a shoulder operation - I had help for one week and then the next week I just had help on days i had younger children, but could manage the 3+ year olds on my old. If you do employ an assistant maybe you could take on more school aged children to help pay her wages especially as you have to pick your own child up.

Hope you feel better soon:)

The Juggler
21-03-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm going to be honest and say if it were me, I'd look at the options of another job to ensure that you are not putting your health at risk again hon.

noreenismail
21-03-2013, 01:48 PM
If I did give up and wanted to start minding again, how long do I have so I don't have go though the ofsted registration again.

chriss
21-03-2013, 02:05 PM
If it were me I would put my health first. Concentrate on letting your body heal, dont do anything to risk undoing the op you have just gone through. Also you have 2 of your own, which is enough on its own when you are not 100 percent fit. Keep your assistant on till you absolutely no longer need them.

Take care :)