PDA

View Full Version : Sensory issues

AliceK
20-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi
Yesterday when my DD (5) came out of school a teacher came over to tell me that she had been putting loads of stuff in and around her mouth during the day. Then another teacher came over to tell me the same thing (not knowing I had already been told), she said she thought it was a sensory thing. I didn't say much at the time but thinking about it I have noticed over the past week or so that DD keeps touching things and then sniffing her hands. Not sure if the 2 things are linked but slightly worried as to why the teachers would make a point of telling me about the mouth thing? What do they think it might be then? It must be something or else they wouldn't have said anything. Does anyone know anything about this kind of thing?

xxxx

phoenix2010
20-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I would ask the teachers if they have seen this before and what it was , or what they think it might mean , they would have seen children doing all kinds of things , my son had a tick last year , I brought it up with teacher and she said it was normal , it has now stopped

could you research oral fixation , i look after a 5 year old who sucks her fingers , I treat it like thumb sucking and try to distract her

is she having a period of worry , is she happy at school , making friends , is she anxious , all these things could trigger self comforting which this might be

I can relate to sniffing hands , I do it alot I also sniff things before I eat them , or anything I pick up actually

I think I would not make a big thing about it but just ensure that you have regular chats with teachers to see how its going , getting worse or better , and if things dont improve in a month or so , perhaps contact your health visitor and see what they think

often these things are more common that we think