PDA

View Full Version : EYFS activities for 8m & 13m olds

SammySplodger
19-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Two questions...

1) Advice & inspiration please:
I need to plan activities for my two Mindees, who are 8m & 13m. I did an EYFS course last weekend and most of the resources and activity suggestions are for older children of 2/3 years upwards. I have been looking at TucanLearn and PInterest for ideas, but can you suggest other sources, (ideally linking directly with EYFS goals like TucanLearn do). The 8m old is still trying to eat everything in sight, so it rather limits what we can do!

2) I am due to be inspected June/July. Assuming I still just have the two Mindees mentioned above, I only need to plan for this age group don't I???? I have toys, books, craft stuff and other resources for different age groups. But as far as the actual activity plan goes, I am only required by Ofsted to cover the ages I actually have on roll - yes?
Sorry if this is a daft question... :-)

mrs robbie williams
19-03-2013, 06:38 PM
ive got this problem as well although hopefully not due an inspection - have an 11m, a 2and half yr and 19m on a friday, 2 and half yr very into craft things but19m wrecks everything and11m just crawls around. How about duplo or building bricks, maybe that incorporate them all? older one build a tower and younger one explore the bricks hand and mouth?

SammySplodger
19-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Mrs RW do you know answer to second bit? Ta x

Mrs.L.C
19-03-2013, 08:58 PM
You dont need to plan as such. You have their routine which is a plan. You can then add what toys/resources will you get out eg rattles stacking toys touchy feely books different textured materials like corn flour, jelly etc anything that wont harm if they eat it, music and songs with instruments, baby groups, general chit chat and peek a boo etc

The Juggler
19-03-2013, 09:33 PM
keep it simple. my fave under 18 month activities:

messy play (water/sand etc)
pop up tent filled with sensory stuff
treasure basket
songtime with lots of scarves and instruments
blocks with lots of boxes so they can fill and empty them with the blocks

chunky cars/trains and a garage

balls

have fun ..

MessybutHappy
19-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Add cold cooked spaghetti and cornflake crunching...both work well with those that still test everything by taste!!

SammySplodger
19-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks folks!

I went to Poundland the other day and got several packs of cat play balls (!) They are about ping ping ball sized in different colours and textures, some rattle and others have bells inside, furry ones, sparkley ones. £1 for 4. I think they will love them :-)

littlemiss60561
20-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Hi treasure baskets will link In to next steps for everything going in their mouth as the more they can experience handling things it can reduce hand to mouth. You can have several different themes.. Wooden, texture, noisy etc.

littlemiss60561
20-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Or how about making your own natural paint and chalk so it's not much of an issue at all if they eat it!

blue bear
20-03-2013, 07:18 AM
You plan from the children's interest, so no you don't need to plan for the ranges only those you have on roll.

With such little ones I don't plan much in advance, I do for things like mothers day etc but for every day I go with what I know about the children which can change daily as they progress so quickly at this age.
The development matters has some great ideas for moving child's forward.

My 10 month old really wants to walk so I put interesting toys on low surface to encourage him, he likes mess so I give him jelly, for flour, squinty cream to mark make in as it doesn't matter if he eats it.

Stories and singing are spontaneous rather than planned at this age.

He loves the treasure basket I keep adding and removing bits each day to keep it interesting.

His favourite thing is to empty stuff out, so I give him different types of containers and a few bits like large buttons, pasta, cotton reels etc to move from container to container.