PDA

View Full Version : 2 year assessment with delays?

migimoo
19-03-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm just in the middle of writing a 2 year assessment for a mindee...my problem is that he has developmental delays (no speech,poor motor skills) do I put in the assessment any of this or just what he CAN do? Don't want it to be too negative and i've stressed what a kind nature he has/he loves music,etc but atm it's only a few lines for each area as there's so little he can do.

I've put a note on there regarding his referral and portage.

Allie
19-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Just been told at training to put concerns in health visitor red book the one all children have, as helth visitors haven't got time to read our reports!!! Well I have never seen a child's red book so that's means something else to request and get premission to use. I bet it will always be children you are concerned about who have parents who wont let you add to book

blue bear
19-03-2013, 06:08 PM
I write something positive in each category with next steps. I then highlight which age bracket the child's development currently falls into, you could always leave that off as health visitor will be aware where the child's development falls. Parents should not get any surprises on the check as they should already be aware of what the child can do.

Allie
19-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Just been told at training to put concerns in health visitor red book the one all children have, as helth visitors haven't got time to read our reports!!! Well I have never seen a child's red book so that's means something else to request and get premission to use. I bet it will always be children you are concerned about who have parents who wont let you add to book

Tinkerbell1979
19-03-2013, 07:28 PM
I make all my under 5 bring red book everyday but would feel odd writing my concerns in it

migimoo
20-03-2013, 08:20 AM
No chance of me seeing his red book i'm afraid....mum is struggling to accept that there's a problem.

I have written a couple of lines (things he CAN do) in each heading for prime areas but it barely fills a page-my other assessments are normally 2-3 sheets....ah well!

vals
20-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I've had a similar problem. Very difficult when a parent doesn't want to hear that their child may have a problem. I wrote some things that, if the Health Visitor ever sees it, she should pick up on. My parent didn't write anything in their part of the form, in the end I gave up asking and just got her to sign it and gave her a copy.

migimoo
28-09-2013, 05:57 PM
The LO mentioned above has just come for a visit and mum told me he has been diagnosed with Autism.
I said he had this from day 1 though obviously not to mum.

Feel sad that I was right but glad they will now get the support they need.

blue bear
28-09-2013, 06:51 PM
That's a big step forward,mum has no choice now but to face the problems, it is awful as a parent to accept your child is not on the 'normal' route and it's quite normal for parents to put the blinkers on for a while, at least lo was getting all the right support from you all along. :thumbsup:

hectors house
28-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I rang up our Health visitor team and asked them when they generally carry out the 2 year check - I was told it would be at 2 1/2 years old and also told me after I had cleared permission with the parent to send a copy to them so they have time to read before his review.

bindy
28-09-2013, 07:28 PM
We were told, at a two year old training evening, we were not to write anything negative. When we challenged why bother at all, if we were not allowed to high light any concerns or problems, we were told...."We are hoping parents read in between the lines" Another document that is a waste of our time, if you aske me.

Chatterbox Childcare
29-09-2013, 09:34 AM
I write the good then the bad then the good, bit like a sandwich. If you don't write where they are struggling then how can you show what you are going to do to help them get over it?

I have a summary to send to the HV which states are there any areas they are struggling in? To complete this I need parental permission and I cannot put one thing on the 2 YOC and then something else on the report