PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS PROCESS when more than one practitioner is to complete the 2 year check?

tonis
19-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Hi - One of my children attend a pre-school as well as myself and although I look after the child just slightly more than the pre-school, they have written the 2 year check form. Basically they wrote it, handed it to me (sealed envelope) to give to the parents and wrote on the envelope they can discuss it with me "as appropriate" and then they can discuss with the parents at their parents evening. Is this right? Or do I just ask the parents to borrow the form after their parents evening with the pre-school (or before?) and write any additional comments on it that I may have?
Thanks for your help.

blue bear
19-03-2013, 04:12 PM
MY understanding is that it is the provider who has the child the most hours, they should talk to the other provider and parents BEFORE writing the assessments so everyone who knows the child gets to contribute.
Does your pre school not have written permission from parents to share info with you or are they just not very good at knowing their responsibilities as per the revised eyfs?

Tealady
19-03-2013, 04:35 PM
My understanding is that the main carer does the check, but gets other input from the parents and other settings.

My LO is with me 39hrs, has a session at Pre-school for 5hrs and one day (10hrs) with another minder. what I did was:

Drafted the report from my notes and LO's LJ. Emailed it to Pre-school, other CM & Parents for them to add their comments and if they have observed anything I haven't and to set out any concerns, if any, they may have. I then pulled this all into one document and sent it back out to all parties for their records and for the parents to take to the health visitor. In retrospect I should have included a section for the health visitor to comment and then classed that as the final copy for everybodies files.

loocyloo
19-03-2013, 05:47 PM
My understanding is that the main carer does the check, but gets other input from the parents and other settings.

My LO is with me 39hrs, has a session at Pre-school for 5hrs and one day (10hrs) with another minder. what I did was:

Drafted the report from my notes and LO's LJ. Emailed it to Pre-school, other CM & Parents for them to add their comments and if they have observed anything I haven't and to set out any concerns, if any, they may have. I then pulled this all into one document and sent it back out to all parties for their records and for the parents to take to the health visitor. In retrospect I should have included a section for the health visitor to comment and then classed that as the final copy for everybodies files.

this is what i did. mindee had been with me for a long time, and had recently started preschool. he did more hours with me and so i said i would do his 2 yr check. i wrote the report out, preschool then added their comments, and i shared it with parents, we wrote down parents comments and then i gave everyone a copy.

i have added a section to my box for other professionals, such as inclusion officer, or physiotherapist as well as preschool.

sarah707
19-03-2013, 06:50 PM
You do it the right way - ask parents for comments, write it together and put a copy in the child's file.

It's up to parents what they do with it :D

tonis
20-03-2013, 09:33 AM
This is so helpful, thanks everyone for your comments. The pre-school have continuously shown that they don't want to share any information with me about the child, they want to just work with the parents. Learning Journals for example, are always securely packaged with wrapped around tape so I can't view it! Any suggestions what I can do about this? Shall I just tactfully speak with them to say I think they should be including me more as I'm happy to share thoughts/documents about the child? What is the best approach?