PDA

View Full Version : fruit after a meal ?

*daisychain*
19-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Just having read through the fact sheets about nutrition for toddlers (added link in previous post)
I have always understood that its not a good idea to have fruit after a meal as fruit digests fast and it will just sit on top of the food just eaten therefore not doing much good ?
The information I have just read suggests giving fruit after a light meal ?
I is confused !:panic:
Your thoughts please oh friendly forum folk :)

mushpea
19-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Never heard that before, we have it during a meal so will have sandwuch, fruit ,rice cake, yogurt.
Where did you read that would be interested ti look cheers

Becci26
19-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Oh really? Have not heard that one before, I too would be interested to read that.
I will often give fruit after a meal

*daisychain*
19-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Its just something I have always believed and been told, just googled this ;

Fruit should be eaten alone or with other fruit on an empty stomach.

This is because when fruit is eaten, the digestive process works very quickly and our body uses different enzymes to digest the fruit. The simple sugars contained in fruit need time to be completely absorbed by your body. When fruits are eaten alone, your stomach can more easily process all of the nutrients, fibre and the simple sugars contained in the fruit. This is the optimal 'proper way' to benefit from the fruit you eat. If you eat fruit close to a meal, especially right after a larger meal and combine with other foods, it's held in the stomach too long along with other foods and will rot and ferment in the gut. If you experience indigestion, heartburn, burping and and other digestive discomforts and you blame on the meal - it could be the combination of the food, the fermentation with fruit that causes your upset stomach. If left uncontrolled it could lead to other health problems that stem from the digestive tract.

Applying this rule is very simple. We eat approximately 3 large meals a day, so space out your fruit servings in between. If this means you need to glance at the clock occasionally and calculate when you could eat the apple you brought along with you, then you do that. And aim to have it about 1 hour before a meal, or 2 hours after your meal. For heavier meals, like pasta or burgers, you need to let that food digest for even longer before you add fruit with all its acid into your stomach, about 3-4 hours. If you've just had a mixed green salad for lunch, same rules apply but for a much shorter time, about 1.5 hours

Becci26
19-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Very interesting - we learn something new every day (and with this forum about 10 new things a day!) :-D

jackie 7
19-03-2013, 12:54 PM
And I was told to give fruit with a meal and not between meals because it is full of sugar and is bad for teeth. And always finish with a drink of water. Do t worry next week it will be something different!!

hectors house
19-03-2013, 12:59 PM
And I was told to give fruit with a meal and not between meals because it is full of sugar and is bad for teeth. And always finish with a drink of water. Do t worry next week it will be something different!!

That's what I thought too - very interesting though, thank you for sharing.

CH1957
19-03-2013, 01:15 PM
I was told by the nutritionist I went to see (have food intolerances) that you should eat fruit on an empty stomach because you cannot easily digest it with other food in the stomach. Also she told me eat fruit before lunchtime-ish to allow it time to digest or it will ferment in your stomach overnight!

adedwards68
19-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Apparently you should eat fruit with a meal

Eating it as a snack is bad for your teeth because of all the sugar

Mouse
19-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Phew...I'm so glad I don't eat much fruit :laughing:

I could live on a diet of veg, but really just don't like fruit.

*daisychain*
19-03-2013, 06:59 PM
That's cleared it up !!! Not !!! Why is nothing simple ? Think I will stick to what I usually do :) thank you all for your replies :) xx

Daisy1956
19-03-2013, 08:42 PM
I like to give fruit with a meal for same reason, I thought it was better for their teeth to do it that way. Although my after schoolies sometimes have fruit for their snack after school.

twheeler29
19-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I like to give fruit with a meal for same reason, I thought it was better for their teeth to do it that way. Although my after schoolies sometimes have fruit for their snack after school.

I do the same

PixiePetal
19-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I will carry on as normal - sometimes at the end or with a meal, sometimes inbetween. Water to drink and hope parents brush the mindees teeth!

Interesting reading though, thanks

The Juggler
19-03-2013, 09:38 PM
OMG, I have been making my own and minded children have fruit after meals for years (as well as for snacks) :thumbsup:

Jenna
19-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Mine always have fruit as part of their snack and if they don't like pudding at lunch time they can choose a piece if fruit instead if they wish

RuthJ
19-03-2013, 09:46 PM
OMG, I have been making my own and minded children have fruit after meals for years (as well as for snacks) :thumbsup:

Oh dear, so have I! Interesting though. My DD LOVES fruit, she usually want to have just fruit for brekkie - strawberries, blueberries and plums. She takes a lot of persuasion to eat something with it like toast or pancakes, and when she does eat other food with fruit she complains of tummy ache. Wonder if it's because the fruit is fermenting???

blue bear
20-03-2013, 07:02 AM
The. dentist who came to give a talk at the children's centre said children should only be given one piece of fruit a day as a stand alone snack and the other portions of healthy food should be veg. Definetly never give raisinsq as they stick to the teeth and are the highest cause of fillings in children now a days. She said we give children too much sugar keep giving them fruit in the day and should stick mostly to veg with a bit of cheese to naturalise the bacteria after eating.

*daisychain*
20-03-2013, 07:09 AM
I suppose it's who you speak to , a dentist would say with food and a nutritionalist (sp?) would say not after a meal. Can't please everyone all the time :)

Little Puddings
20-03-2013, 08:22 AM
My own 3 are always in the fruit bowl, we once stopped our 8yr old from having more than one apple a day as she was having stomach cramps, she was devastated that she could only have the one. She has fruit in her packed lunch and will usually have 2-3 apples between coming home from school and going to bed.