PDA

View Full Version : story sacks

JumpingJacks
19-03-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm just putting together a hungry caterpillar story sack to go with our new wall display. I've put in it:-
A small cuddly caterpillar
Some laminated picture and word cards relating to the book
Photos of our visit to the butterfly farm and some lacing cards relating to the story.

What else would you put in/have you got in yours?

7061 this is the start of the display, made with lots of help from the children :-)

Thanks

Jac

phoenix2010
19-03-2013, 08:03 AM
what about string and cotton reels so they can make their own caterpillar

plastic or wooden items of food

JumpingJacks
19-03-2013, 08:20 AM
what about string and cotton reels so they can make their own caterpillar

plastic or wooden items of food

Fab thank you! Having one of those mornings-brain isn't awake yet!

samb
19-03-2013, 08:30 AM
We did hungry caterpillar last year and the favourite activity was sticking a photo of their face in a green circle and then we put them up in age order- they talked a lot about ages and sequencing and we used them after to stick on our feelings chart too.

Maybe real food to taste as well- those in the story of course.

A chart with days of the week on and cut out foods so they can make their own graph?

loocyloo
19-03-2013, 08:30 AM
i've got a non-fiction book of the caterpillar to butterfly process ( think its usborne ) and also a life cycle set of plastic creatures.

oh and a hungry caterpillar jigsaw puzzle

smurfette
19-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Display looks fab well

Done!!

jackie 7
19-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I got my first big book and it was caterpillar. It came with a little one. The children love it and I only got it on Sunday.

nikkiv
19-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I got my first big book and it was caterpillar. It came with a little one. The children love it and I only got it on Sunday.

Where did u get it from?

phoenix2010
19-03-2013, 11:57 AM
could you make a fabric butterfly , stitch together some random pieces of fabric , im useless at sewing but think even i could manage that

JumpingJacks
19-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Great ideas everyone, thank you! We are going to be very busy :) im a little bit more awake now and my thinking cap is working again!

Our butterfly garden arrived today

Also decided to do a project with the older ones at half term and papermache a chicken wire butterfly

And we are going to grow cress caterpillars in egg boxes :)

jackie 7
19-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I got it in Costco for £15. We can all be members. I have just watched a boy take the caterpillar and get it to eat the food. Hd was so gentle.

phoenix2010
20-03-2013, 09:17 AM
I bought a butterfly pavilion last summer ,
we hatched 3 lots of butterflies and the children all loved the process as did I

its great fun and the garden can be used for other things too , stick insects , ladybirds etc

JumpingJacks
20-03-2013, 06:11 PM
I bought a butterfly pavilion last summer ,
we hatched 3 lots of butterflies and the children all loved the process as did I

its great fun and the garden can be used for other things too , stick insects , ladybirds etc

I have one too, just waiting for the caterpillars to arrive :)

lizduncan72
20-03-2013, 06:33 PM
We're doing one too-did it a couple of years ago and the kids I had at the time loved it so I'm doing it again :)

zippy
20-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Green and red milk bottle tops to make their own caterpillars, you could even stick holes in so they could lace them, a cuddly butterfly, toy food representing food in book, some laminated days of week names, maybe a tight pine cone to represent a cocoon or make one out of paper mâché if you don't want to confuse them.

JumpingJacks
20-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Green and red milk bottle tops to make their own caterpillars, you could even stick holes in so they could lace them, a cuddly butterfly, toy food representing food in book, some laminated days of week names, maybe a tight pine cone to represent a cocoon or make one out of paper mâché if you don't want to confuse them.

Thanks

I have so far

Cuddly caterpillar
Wooden clothes peg caterpillar and butterfly
Laminated words and numbers
Home made lacing cards
Play food
Dominoes
Picture bingo

Just in the process of making a reversable cocoon/butterfly :)

sarah sunflower
20-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Love your display. I'm wanting to make some story sacks so will be pinching some of the ideas from here!! ;) x

miffy
20-03-2013, 10:16 PM
What about some pictures of caterpillars and butterflies ( printed from google images or similar) for children to discuss all the different colours they come in or try to guess which caterpillar will turn into which butterfly.

If you have The Works bookshop near you it's worth having a look as last year I got the life cycle books for a £1.00 from there.

Your display looks great :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

littlemiss60561
20-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Lovely display.
I've got separate books on butterflies and caterpillars, toy of each, and a rattle, I made a memory/ snap game ( life cycle pics and colour matching butterflies) life cycle lotto game, a stacking caterpillar and butterfly shape puzzle ( butterfly one came from sainsburys) plastic play food and a number caterpillar for 1-10 . I love doing this story. So much to do. Mine liked Printing with the fruit to make their own story book, made a fruit salad and we loved Saturdays day!! Oh and a paper mâché cocoon .

JumpingJacks
20-03-2013, 10:53 PM
THANKS EVERYONE! I love this forum! Great for sharing ideas! I'm also going to do the words in slovak as I currently mind a little one who is from there!

Helen79
21-03-2013, 09:12 AM
We're doing the hungry caterpillar this month too, do you mind me asking where you got the printed pictures from on your display? I got the dvd and large book from the library last week so going to be looking at them today before we start our activities.

JumpingJacks
21-03-2013, 07:57 PM
We're doing the hungry caterpillar this month too, do you mind me asking where you got the printed pictures from on your display? I got the dvd and large book from the library last week so going to be looking at them today before we start our activities.

I just googled hungry caterpillar printables :) I've saved it to my pc so if you can't find anything let me know and I'll send you the document :)

WibbleWobble
21-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Beachgirl says there is Hungry Caterpillar fabric in Hobbycraft but as she is now known to be the forum "hobbycraft queen" she was embarrassed to post........

so i will do it

*waves to Beachy.....hiya Beachy babes*

wibble the naughty x

JumpingJacks
21-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Beachgirl says there is Hungry Caterpillar fabric in Hobbycraft but as she is now known to be the forum "hobbycraft queen" she was embarrassed to post........

so i will do it

wibble the naughty x

Lol! Lovely! I'm going there on Saturday so will have a look! Thank you :)

RuthJ
21-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Love your wall display :)

beachgirl29
21-03-2013, 10:23 PM

so i will do it

wibble the naughty x

hehe well i was going go when get paid and get some fabric to make my own story sack but might take my sun glasses and trench coat now thanks wobble lol

I admit if i packed in childminding i think i would go for a job there. :-)

love your display by the way and lovely ideas.

skatie
22-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Ooh, ooh, ooh :jumping up and down: I wanna do this theme, hadn't actually thought of it but all your lovely ideas have inspired me!

zippy
22-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know how much material is was just about to make a sack for mine out of a pillowcase but that would be soooooo much better

JumpingJacks
22-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know how much material is was just about to make a sack for mine out of a pillowcase but that would be soooooo much better

Hoping to pop in tomorrow so if you haven't found out by then, I'll let you know

zippy
24-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Eeek went and had a look at material today it was truly gorgeous, big caterpillar on front and butterfly on back but was heavily priced £7.99 for a 50cm panel, guess I'm back to tracing a pic on a pillowcase lol

nikki thomson
24-03-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm lazy I always buy them ready made. X

JumpingJacks
24-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Eeek went and had a look at material today it was truly gorgeous, big caterpillar on front and butterfly on back but was heavily priced £7.99 for a 50cm panel, guess I'm back to tracing a pic on a pillowcase lol

Oooh good idea! I didn't go due to the weather! Have seen some cheaper versiins in ebay though too btw

JulieA
25-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't have the space to store lots of made up story sacks so I have a canvas tote bag to which I put together for our focus book of the month. The resources are then put back into the playroom for general play. I have some laminated labels which I then tie to the handle of the bag.