PDA

View Full Version : My first family who speak another language

mammumof4
18-03-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm not even sure how to word this, I've had a phone call from a parent today. I could tell straight away that she doesn't speak very good English, she is coming to see me tomorrow. I'm nervous!
How do you go about asking about their culture without seeming nosey or prying into there life? Does that make sense? I already feel that communication is going to be hard, I'm already worrying about learning journeys ect and she hasn't even signed the contract yet.
I do have multi cultural toys and posters ect in my setting but I've never really given a lot of thought to it. I know this sounds bad and I should know all this already and obviously I have an inclusion and multi cultural policy but putting it into practice seems daunting, more than anything I don't want to offend her by asking the wrong questions. I'm getting myself quite worked up about this and I can't say I've seen any posts on here before about this subject.

lauraring1
18-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Didn't want to read and run hun... But I'm sure if you are your natural self, you'll be fine, you shouldn't worry about it :0)

SammySplodger
19-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Relax and try not to feel nervous. I am looking after a Chinese boy and felt a bit like you before I met the family. But honestly it's fine. I just asked first of all if they felt they needed any help with translation and they didn't (Mum fluent English, Dad a bit more basic but we get by ok).

What I will say is that, actually, they don't want me to do many of the things Ofsted / DEd say we should... I offered to learn some Chinese and they said they don't want me to. Instead they have requested I only speak to their son in English and offer him the same food as the other children (no special treatment!). Mum explained in the nicest possible way that she thought the guidelines I had been given were patronising (!)

If your All About Me / Child Info form reflects diversity it should be ok. It's late and I didn't want to read and run, but will try to revisit tomorrow. :-)

SammySplodger
19-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Sorry - just read it's tomorrow - ask if she needs help translating the paperwork. Does she have family who can help? Some LAs can help with this too - depends on your area. Local library might also know - ask for Enquiries Team.
x

MessybutHappy
19-03-2013, 06:55 AM
I would be in the same boat! I would take the first visit as an opportunity to clarify their nationality, and then, if they like you, take it from there. You'll have some time to research and find out more. Like so much of this business it is probably more daunting in prospect than it will be in reality! My local nursery has children with parents who speak little english, do you have one nearby who could offer you some advice? Good Luck