PDA

View Full Version : shocked!

squeely wheely
18-03-2013, 09:05 PM
So, I was told by a 4 year old today that people are coming to get me and my baby and I am in danger.

Didnt really know how to react to this. Anyone else experienced anything like this??

lauraring1
18-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Sounds like a child with a very vivid imagination!

The Juggler
18-03-2013, 09:44 PM
was it when they were cross with you about something. It's a pretty horrible thing to say. Possibly they have heard a grown up say something similarly horrible to another and were copying??

I'd take it with a pinch of salt if it's a one off but keep an eye on it.

lynnfi
18-03-2013, 09:48 PM
I'd have tried to have the child speak a bit more about it with open questions... But indeed it is spooky. Do not let this get to you. He has probably repeated what he's heard somewhere, in a film for instance, or mixed a few things he's heard to finally come up with this.

squeely wheely
18-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I had to put him in time out earlier in the day, but he was playing happily for while then just said it. I didn't react to it, more out of shock though really.

skatie
18-03-2013, 10:27 PM
What sort of tone did he use? My ds used to say things like 'there is a baddy in the kitchen and he's going to get you' but in a real role play sort of way when he was playing superheroes or policeman. Otherwise that is a bit alarming. My ds has a friend over occasionally who says horrible stuff like ' I'm going to cut off your head'' charming child!

miffy
18-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I think you did the right thing by not reacting and if its a one off then I wouldn't worry too much.

Might just be something they've overheard or seen on some inappropriate tv programme.

If it keeps happening I'd speak to the parents and see what they say

Miffy xx

SYLVIA
19-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Not very nice! I would be listening out for more comments either to you or others and then ask parents if they can throw any light on it

Tazmin68
19-03-2013, 12:51 PM
When my oldest son was in reception another child in class said these two statements.

When you are in bed I am going to come and bang bang shoot your mom and dad and the police will come and take you away.

When you are asleep I am going to use a machette on your mom and dad.

He said this to a number of children and quite a few parents put letters in expressing concern and what it was mom is a probation officer and was bringing files from work home and talking about her work which is where child learnt words from.