PDA

View Full Version : Maternity leave- what did you do?

tiredandemotional
18-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi everyone.
I am due to have my third child in July, my first one since I started minding. I intend to work up to my due date, which, handily, is near the end of term. Of course all the parents know and I have a list of local CM's that are willing to cover for me should I be early/incapacitated. I normally only have one child in the holidays and his mum has already found cover with a lovely, local CM. I have told the parents that I envisage being back to work in September, for the start of term, when the baby will be about 6 weeks old- as I will have to do the school run with my son anyway (and it will all be schoolies by then anyway, I lose my baby next week as mum hasn't anymore work lined up :() However, I am thinking now that I won't be able to cope with the early mornings starts and drop offs - juggling a newborn, feeding, changing etc and getting out the door with just my other two will be stressful enough without the doorbell going every half hour from 7.30am! It may also be a good chance to 'shed' a few mindees - one is hard work (but with a very good parent as a customer) and the other easy but with a hard work parent (never pays on time, early dropping off, no communication etc). My dilema is really, when to tell them as by using the baby as an 'excuse' I spare feelings about not taking them back after the summer holidays, but have to bear in mind the 4 weeks notice in my contract and my wish to make it as easy as possible for them. I am fairly confident the child who already has cover lined up will be able to stay with his new CM so won't worry too much about that. Also, if I do just take back on the two after schoolies that I was thinking of retaining I wil lose my maternity pay for the sake of £140/month pay from them - as I won't have any other clients then. I also worry about the impact on my own children - my three year old daughter dotes on the two big boy after schoolies and would be devastated if I didn't have them (although maybe the excitement of the baby and the summer holidays may dim that devotion a bit!) I would love to just take the whole 9 months off and not worry about minding but it is so daunting to 'get rid' of everyone and have to start again. Has anyone else been in the situation and what did you do about childminding and maternity leave? Would love to hear your stories and sorry for all the waffle!! :blush:

Susie

muffins
18-03-2013, 09:30 PM
I've had my 3rd child in Dec, my other 2 are 2 & 4yrs, so all in my early years numbers! I have quite a few in the early years (had an assistant) and 2 schoolies. 1 schoolie has gone to after sch club and the other came back at the beginning of the term in Jan. My 2 LO's love the schoolie to pieces and is a pleasure to have so I offered to have for free whilst on mat leave, I have also done the same for an early years child I have on Saturdays for a few hours as they couldn't find other Saturday childcare. This solved the problem of giving up £135wk mat allowance for less pay and the added risk they might leave leaving me nothing, they know they will have to pay when I come back! Most of the early years LO's went on to other minders or nursery, 1 of which went to a minder friend who is due her 2nd baby at the end of Apr so is coming back to me then. Hope you manage to sort how you are going to work things, I know it was a major head ache for me esp as I now have no early years left to offer for new business so untill Sept I am stuck!

Dilly Daydream
18-03-2013, 10:45 PM
My baby is due in July too, already have a 3 year old. I have decided to go on leave mid may and I won't be returning to work this year. Depending on demand I might return in the new near but if all goes well I intend to take the full 39 weeks, which would take me to the Feb half term here.

I came to this decision as I am having problems with my back. Had to let my after school lot go at the end of term as I am struggling to do the school run and can't always fit all of the children in the car. I looked at my potential earnings for April, May and June. Due to time off for our holiday and a family special occasion my earnings for May and June were less than maternity allowance - that and the problems with my back made it a very easy decision to make.

I am using maternity leave as an opportunity to take a step back from the business and learn from previous mistakes. I have given all parents notice and said I would inform them when I decide to return but have set nothing in stone. If they want to come back to me that's fine but if not no worries. I am lucky to live in an area where demand is high and feel confident I will find work again once I start back up.

Revisiting all my paperwork whilst I am off too to tighten things up and lookinI forward to a new start next year.

My main priority now is spending time with my little girl before bump arrives and enjoying a little bit of me time.

Good luck with the impending birth and whatever you decide to do with your business x

clareelizabeth1
19-03-2013, 04:59 AM
I have just got rid of all mindies to spend time with my new arrival. So glad I did as all my mindies circumstances have changed and by now I would have no one and no MA too. They have all moved to far away to come some to different countries.

I am so glad I did as well as although it has been 16 weeks I have had with him it has been no where near enough. He is changing so much everyday I just don't want to miss a thing. I am so glad I have been able to take the pay cut to spend this time with him and would do it again.

Even if you have doubts about stopping once you hold you LO in your arms they will all fade.

Sounds like your parents will easily find new childminders, and baby as an excuse a great way to spare feelings.

Congratulations.

Becci26
19-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Morning, I am due beginning of August, I have already given notice to all under 5's and the last one finishes next weds (this is due to me suffering with severe spd) but will continue with the older ones until the end of the summer term.
My twins are going up to secondary school anyway so works well with them.

I have said to all the other parents it would be nice to see them come back (returning to work in January) but realistically they will be settled with other childminders or circumstances have changed, one family has changed her working hours so may only need me in the holidays, one is also pregnant as well as moving house and I will no longer be on her way to work and another is giving up work in September.

It'll be nice to clear out some if the less preferred late paying parents/ difficult children but a shame to lose the lovely ones.
But I am also going to take the time out to relook at the business and 'tighten' things up, learn from mistakes made previously and also be a little picky when I do go back to work (when I was starting out I said yes to everything and ended up with funny hours).

Becci26
19-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Meant to say,

Initially I was only going to take the school holidays off but then I thought, realistically, lack of sleep will be a major part of my life at that time and it is one thing I don't deal very well with. The thought of having to be able to function normally day to day and not nap when needed made me realise I'd be better to take longer off.

Of course this depends on how you bounced back last time (I'm more like an old elastic band that's lost it's elasticity!!)

Dilly Daydream
19-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Meant to say,

Initially I was only going to take the school holidays off but then I thought, realistically, lack of sleep will be a major part of my life at that time and it is one thing I don't deal very well with. The thought of having to be able to function normally day to day and not nap when needed made me realise I'd be better to take longer off.

Of course this depends on how you bounced back last time (I'm more like an old elastic band that's lost it's elasticity!!)

I seemed to take ages to bounce back from my first and I had no issues healthwise when I was PG with her. I am dreading what will happen with this one as I had terrible morning sickness from the word go until 13 weeks then started at 16 weeks with my bad back! I too took everyone on I could due to starting out and have ended up with contracts I realise are mistakes. When I come back I will be looking at each contract individually and setting terms and conditions according to each set of requirements. My one fee suits all approach this time has not worked out at all :rolleyes:

Becci26
19-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Sounds like a plan!

I'm hoping to only work 3-4 days a week - it was my plan originally but because I was desperate for work I didn't stick to it and ended up working 5 days a week, 10-11 hours a day. No time for the paperwork!

emma04
19-03-2013, 02:43 PM
I was planning to work up until my dd was born (Dec 2010) and then take 3 weeks off - No point in taking any more, as still got to be up and out of the house to take my 6yr old to school!

However;

I developed pre eclampsia 6 weeks before my due date and was admitted to hospital, dd was born 5 weeks early by emergency c-section. This messed all my plans up!

Ended up finishing on Nov 2nd and starting back on Feb 7th (8 weeks after dd was born) It was tough going, but needed the money and as i say, I was still having to get organised for my 6yr old.

All worked out well and now have a happy and healthy 2yr old who loves (most) of her playmates!:D

ozzy10
19-03-2013, 08:00 PM
I had my little boy in July last year. I did intend like yiu to just take the summer holidays off, however he arrived and I decided it wouldn't be fair to him, my 3 year old or mindees to go back that soon. So I've taken the full 39 weeks and start back at easter, with 1 of my original midees coming back. So glad I did, I would never get the baby time back again. I told my parents 5 weeks before I was due to return in September, all completely understood and even said they expected it really!

Mrs.L.C
19-03-2013, 08:34 PM
I worked upto 38 weeks. baby came at 39 and I went back to childminding when my youngest was 5 weeks old however I had my husband working with me. for the first month it was a struggle being up and ready in time as I was breast feeding and baby would always want a feed around the time parents dropped off and picked up. It took me another 4 weeks to get into a good routine that worked. I dont think I could have started back as early with an assistant and we only had 2 under 5's and 3 over 5.
If I was bottle feeding it may of made it slightly easier but I wasnt going to make that sacrifice for work

tigwig
19-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I worked right up til been 38 weeks. I finished work for Christmas on the Friday and went into labour the next day!! He was 2 weeks early, probably because I had rushed about throughout my pregnancy. I had 4 weeks off and was actually only going to take 2 off but had extra due to him being early. I cared for a 12mth old and a 14mth old too. It was very hard but I just got on with it and coped. I had to I couldnt afford to lose my children and I had only been minding for a few weeks when finding out I was surprisingly pregnant! Then my husband broke his ribs in an accident at work and was layed up day and night. I was up every hour through the night and cared for 3 under 2's for over 10hrs a day as well as my then 5yrold. Looking back I dont know how the hell I managed but I did! :)

tiredandemotional
26-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and stories, they are so interesting. I have only just logged on after a few busy days so didn't realise I had so many replies! It has really helped reading your stories and I do like the idea of taking the full 39 weeks and taking that time to reflect and make changes to my business. Having only minded for about 16 months I have made plenty of newbie mistakes and ended up with hours and arrangements I don't necessarily want. It would be nice to start with a 'clean sheet' however daunting that seems. A very popular local CM is due to give up in about a year, early retirement, so I am fairly confident the demand will still be there and ironically I have had loads of enquiries since I got pregnant. Whilst I am confident I will bounce back after this birth, and will have to to a certain extent with three kids, I also want to take the time to enjoy my new arrival and my family and not potentially feel resentful of other kids taking me away from that. Also it would be good to prepare for the unexpected as you never know what happens with babies. I really struggled with feeding my first two and as I am such a tenacious idiot :p stuck with breastfeeding despite the pain and heartache; so may need that time again with this baby -something that will be hard to fit around mindees. Financially I won't be much out of pocket as I only work three days a week (well, in theory although it's crept up to 4 and lately been 5, how does that happen?!) and we all know that childminding costs quite a bit! I think I may have talked myself into maternity leave...

On another note, does anyone know how to double check that you are entitled to stat mat pay? I am paying national insurance contributions so assume I am, but don't want to find out after getting rid of all my work, that I am not entitled!

tigwig
26-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Not sure on how you check but I was never entitled to SMP as I had just left employment and only been SE for a few months! I got mat allowance instead. Not that I ended up claiming it for long lol.

Dilly Daydream
27-03-2013, 09:03 AM
If you have been paying class 2 national insurance all the time you have been self employed (did you say 16 months) then I am certain you are entitled to maternity allowance. If you look online, hmrc,there is a helpline number you can call, you can also download the form to claim online too. Can't remember exactly where I found the form but if you can't find it shout and I will see if I can find it in my history.

I will only be returning part time after this baby - ideally I would like just one full time child but know that can be impossible so will try and fill both spaces I have for 3 days per week.

All of your reasons you have stated for taking maternity leave really struck a chord with me. My hubby, bless him, thought I could have my baby and return to work for the new school year. Physically I struggled after having my daughter, she didn't feed either and I was exhausted. I want time with her before baby comes then I want time with baby when bean arrives. Financially for me working part time like I intend to works out less than maternity allowance, 135 pounds a week roughly, so I may as well take the whole 39 weeks off.

Good luck with your pregnancy and shout up if you can't find the info I mentioned earlier and I will find it for you x x

Dilly Daydream
27-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Just realised you are due same time as me, end of July! Did you get your matb1 yet as you will need this to claim maternity allowance? You have a few weeks before you can send claim in anyway as you can't send it in until you are 26 weeks or more I think. Shout up if you need anything else x

tiredandemotional
28-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Thank you so much Helen, it was really nice reading your post. I am pretty sure I will be entitled to Maternity allowance then but will give them a ring to check before I pack it all in! I will get my Mat1B form at my next MW appointment and start the ball rolling. I have never been self-employed and pregnant before so it is all new (and I keep dreaming about the days when I got 90% and then gradual increments of my salary for ages - I never realised how lucky I was!)

Thanks again.
xx

Dilly Daydream
28-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Thank you so much Helen, it was really nice reading your post. I am pretty sure I will be entitled to Maternity allowance then but will give them a ring to check before I pack it all in! I will get my Mat1B form at my next MW appointment and start the ball rolling. I have never been self-employed and pregnant before so it is all new (and I keep dreaming about the days when I got 90% and then gradual increments of my salary for ages - I never realised how lucky I was!)

Thanks again.
xx

No worries! Know what you mean about being lucky whilst in employment. Was working at local university when I was pregnant with my daughter, got 18 weeks at full pay and managed to take a year off without losing too much money due to massive holiday entitlement. Used to work in payroll which is why I know a bit about maternity allowance.

Shout up if you need anything else x x