PDA

View Full Version : Chicken pox- advice

pirateship
18-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone,
I know this has been talked about lots before but I'm just after some advice.

Parent signed 4 week temporary contract last week - I'm having her LO 3 hours on a Tues and Fri for 4 weeks whilst she's doing some voluntary work. Lo's first day with me was last Friday. She's just called me and said he's come down with chicken pox, doctor diagnosed it on Sat. She wanted to still bring him tomorrow but I said I couldn't take him for 5 days from the onset or from when all the spots have stabbed over.

She was not happy at all. She basically said it was my fault that he has them as he must have got it from the group that we went to on Fri! Firstly we didn't even go to a group Fri, we went to another childminder's house (no chicken pox there) and secondly I explained to her that it can take around 10 days for chicken pox to show once they've been in contact with someone who has them. Is that right?

I'm really cross as she has told me that she doesn't want to pay as its not her fault he has chicken pox. She said it wasn't fair because she's only signed a temporary 4 week contract and if he's off for two of those weeks she shouldn't have to pay. What should I say? I just feel like I need some more info for when she moans about paying. It is bad luck/timing but he certainly didn't get them on the one day that he spent with me and even if he did, those are the rules so.....

Alarm bells are ringing! She even said point blank that she wasn't going to pay and I said if that was how she was being after one day then maybe it's best we don't continue at all! She soon back tracked and said she'll pay for tomorrow still but she wasn't happy about paying for Fri if she doesn't bring him. I said to call Thurs night to let me know how he is and we would go from there. Do you actually wait until all the spots are healed over? I'm just wondering if I should text her a link to a website where it explains it all clearly. Any recommendations?

Do you think I should say to not worry about the fee as it's only a temp contract? It would be through gritted teeth if I did!
:panic:

Tazmin68
18-03-2013, 06:05 PM
I would be very tempted to end contract with immediate effect and see what parent does as with a temp contract or settling in period Hi real notice for either side.

supermumy
18-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Stick to your guns and say your not having mindee and will still require payment
Of she refuses end contract there and than and maybe contact who you are insured with

Littleglees
18-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi, one of my mindees had the pox and looking at the health authority I told mum I couldn't have him back until all the spots had scabbed over he was off for a whole week but, he only had it mild.

Sare x

Spring is around the corner x

BuggsieMoo
18-03-2013, 06:15 PM
I can actually have an incubation period of up to 21 days so he may have been carrying it for the past 3 weeks. Dont understand why he will be off for 2 weeks - its 5 days from onset of rash or until all spots have crusted over. He should be perfectly fine to come back next week as long as spots are crusted over.

Point her in the direction of the HPA guidelines x

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374