PDA

View Full Version : Hoping I've done the right thing

jo.jo76
18-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Just want to see if you think I've done the right thing

One of my LO has had an inner ear infection in both ears and was off for a couple of days at the beginning of last week and on antibiotics, she came to me last Wednesday but I sent her home early as she was sick.
Mum took her to doctors and still has infection in one ear and more antibiotics and still being sick every now and again. They say the sickness is a reaction to the antibiotics. Anyway Mum just rang and said she is starting to get better but still being sick, mainly when eating and now has diarrhea too, and needed changing several times yesterday, but as it's a reaction to the antibiotics could I still have her.
I've said no, she needs to be free from D & V for 48hrs before she can come back as it will be difficult for me to cope with her if it happens while we are out or in the car and also there are other bacteria that could be in it.
Mum seems ok about this but just wanted to see what you would of said
Thank you

mazza58
18-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Yes I would do this as well, as you say you cant stop going out and its not fair on the other children when you are having to clean up after that child,

Rubybubbles
18-03-2013, 03:10 PM
it still is d&v regardless of what caused it!

I am surprised mum is still giving the meds if lo has had this reaction!

Mouse
18-03-2013, 03:15 PM
it still is d&v regardless of what caused it!

I am surprised mum is still giving the meds if lo has had this reaction!

That was my thought. If one antibiotic doesn't agree with her I'm sure there would be a different one for her to try.

I'd exclude until the D&V has stopped. Although it might be a reaction to the medication, I doubt even a doctor could say that for certain without running tests.

little chickee
18-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Yes thats what i would do.
I exclude for any D & V regardless of cause - even teething.

If i was that mum i would be seeking an alternative medication.

caz3007
18-03-2013, 03:40 PM
My DD had a similar reaction to one antib's like that and she wasnt allowed to take that particular one and was given another type, I am surprised the mum has continued and not asked for another if she is aware its a reaction

Tazmin68
18-03-2013, 08:29 PM
As a mum I would have gone back to gp. I am allergic to penicillin and had a chest infection went to gp and saw a different doctor who gave me antibiotics I started being sick went back to surgery saw usual doctor and found out what was given was penicillin based which was why I was sick so change of prescription.

twheeler29
18-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Yes I would do this as well. It still D & V.

Maza
18-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes, you did the right thing. Why should your home get covered in vomit?! Poor little one. I agree, mum should go back to Dr as this medisn't agreeing with her.

lauraring1
18-03-2013, 08:59 PM
I would have done exactly the same as you x

jo.jo76
18-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Thank you all so much, you've put my mind at rest. I will suggest to mum that she should see doctor again, although this is the second lot of antibiotics so not sure if this lot is different from the first