PDA

View Full Version : Did you know paper scissors can cut hair

AliceK
18-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Oh god, my DD (who is off school today as was poorly) has just managed to cut all her fringe off with paper scissors. She was playing with a mindee aged 4, they were doing crafts in the toy room. Other mindee wakes up and after her lunch goes off to play in the toy room. I tell DD and older mindee, don't leave the scissors laying around. I watched as they put them back in the craft drawer. I went to wash up the pots, went back in and DD is looking in the mirror. Oh god she looks a mess, it looks just awful. There is no way of rescuing it. I am so embarassed, I have to take her out looking like this. I am so so angry with her and I can't believe paper scissors can actually cut hair :panic:

xxxx

supermumy
18-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Could of been worse and been mindee of had cut of all hair lol
I remember me and my sister plying hairdressers once I looked like a boy after :( lol

adele1985
18-03-2013, 02:57 PM
lol oh dear - this happend to with one of my mindees while at school - she had cut another los hair when the teachers asked her why she had done it she replyed "well just because she told me to" needless to say teachers where not amused lol

could you not put her hair in a hair band till it grows out?

sorry no other advice

VeggieSausage
18-03-2013, 03:58 PM
oh well it will grow back, its only hair....better your own child than a mindee!!

lynncjt
18-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Not as bad as me when I was a kid... I had long hair in plaits which I hated so one day I cut one off - right close to my head! I heard my mum coming so flushed it down the loo!!

I was made to wear a hat when ever we went out for ages...... Very short hair for girls was NOT fashionable then!

dette
18-03-2013, 04:26 PM
my daughter cut a mindees hair they were both 3 ..many years ago ..luckily parent saw the funnyside.i was mortified

chriss
18-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Sorry but I have nothing helpful to say, its just too funny :blush:

Rolacolapink
18-03-2013, 05:05 PM
oh I feel for you the same thing happened to me only it was my 5 yr old son who cut his little sisters hair that at the age of 3 was only just starting to grow (strangers thought she was a boy) then she did it to herself a few months later this time cutting it short to her head all down one side!! it's all starting to grow now but is shorter on one side! i keep telling her she'll never look like her idol rapunzel if she cuts her hair! luckily it's very curly so the unevenness can be hidden better than straight hair. however needless to say I ALWAYS keep the scissors hidden now only getting them out when I can supervise at all times!

skatie
18-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Erm, oops! At least it wasn't a mindee tho. I once got a round hairbrush stuck in my hair and decided it would be better to cut it out than be told off for playing with my mums hairbrush. Clearly not thinking that having done it I would be told off for both crimes!

hectors house
18-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes I did know craft scissors can cut hair, I have also had a pair that cut fingers so I always supervise and make sure they aren't playing hairdressers!

My daughter when she was about 10 had a hair braid put in on holiday, when we got home she was fed up with it so she just cut it off - of course as her hair grew back it just stuck straight up. Another time someone made a comment about her having busy eyebrows like her dad, so she shaved them off with his razor!

RuthJ
18-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Oh no! A girl in my daughters class did this last year - She looked hilarious!

Hope it grows quickly!

bunyip
18-03-2013, 05:50 PM
OOps:panic:

On the bright side, at least it's cold enough to wear a hat pulled down.

vickylou
18-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Safety scissors can also cut fingers!!!! A good few years ago mindee comes into me and says I've cut my finger!!! Oh yes she'd certainly done that!! She'd cut the tip of her finger off right down to the bone!!!! A mad trip to A&E followed, poor thing had to have her first ever X-ray without mum, felt so sorry for her, luckily she didn't damage the bone, but loads of bandages later and a warning not to get it wet, we were able to leave A&E. doctors were stunned when I said she'd been using ELC safety scissors (metal ones!!) felt really sorry for her because the next day they flew to Malta for 2 weeks, and she wasn't able to go on the beach or in the pool. :-(. Now when they are doing crafting I keep the scissors away till I can 100% supervise!!!!! So yes I know have a thorough risk assessment for safety scissors!!! Mindee still comes and it's a running joke now every time we get out the scissors! Even though she's 13!!!!! Bless her

cathtee
18-03-2013, 07:33 PM
oops! it will grow back I'd pin it back till it does. They also cut the Table protector which is quite thick, I noticed the other day when I
made the table bigger for mothers day and it was laid out more, not sure which mindee did it but have my suspitions(sp)

blue bear
18-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I had a mindee cut hers with safety scissors, mum had been growing it out for months and mindee cut herself a perfectly straight fringe.

AliceK
18-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Well we've tried all sorts to try and rescue it and make it look at least a bit better, tried bringing a bit from further back and cutting that into a fringe, tried clipping a longer bit from the side over, but to no avail her hair is so straight and fine that nothing works :( I'm just thankful she didn't cut one of the mindees hair too :panic:. I will never ever let any of the children loose with the scissors again, I had no idea they could cut anything much other than paper / card.

xxxx

Becci26
18-03-2013, 09:15 PM
My dd cut a huge chunk of her hair right at the front and she couldn't have hot any closer to her head if she tried, looked flippin ridiculous and worse when it started growing back and in a 'tuft'.

We have to laugh, it's just the children experimenting :-)

AliceK
18-03-2013, 09:25 PM
My dd cut a huge chunk of her hair right at the front and she couldn't have hot any closer to her head if she tried, looked flippin ridiculous and worse when it started growing back and in a 'tuft'.

We have to laugh, it's just the children experimenting :-)

Yes I can smile about it now. I've since found out it's very common, apparently I did it too when I was little although not quite as bad. Oh well, it's a lesson learnt the hard way I guess :)

xx

MessybutHappy
18-03-2013, 09:31 PM
I didn't, but I do now! Awful about the cut finger too. Risk Assessment review time....

clareelizabeth1
18-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I don't have any special safety ones. I just use normal and supervise although by the sounds of it safety isn't very safe.

littlemiss60561
18-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the warning!!
Cheeky lil thing. Does she like her new look?? Lol my niece cut 2/3 of her fringe dead straight about 1 cm from the root. We did laugh. How about an Alice bans or scarf??! Oh and lots of photos for when she's older !

hollyvilla
19-03-2013, 07:58 AM
My daughter cut a huge hunk out of the top of her head many years ago. The remaining hair just stood straight up. We still remind her of it, she is 32 now!

Toothfairy
19-03-2013, 08:13 AM
The day before my youngest sisters christening, my other sister and I played hairdressers! ( I was 5 and my sister was 3)
My mum was a hairdresser and had left her hairdressing scissors out as she had been cutting our Dads hair. My sister and I got up that morning and decided to play hairdressers and leave mum to have a lie in.
We both started off with hair down past our shoulders and ended up with very ragged pixie cuts with no fringes at all!!!!
Mum was mortified and with our sisters christening the next day, all the family got to see our handy work and it is captured for all eternity on the christening photos. :blush:

smurfette
19-03-2013, 09:20 AM
The day before my youngest sisters christening, my other sister and I played hairdressers! ( I was 5 and my sister was 3)
My mum was a hairdresser and had left her hairdressing scissors out as she had been cutting our Dads hair. My sister and I got up that morning and decided to play hairdressers and leave mum to have a lie in.
We both started off with hair down past our shoulders and ended up with very ragged pixie cuts with no fringes at all!!!!
Mum was mortified and with our sisters christening the next day, all the family got to see our handy work and it is captured for all eternity on the christening photos. :blush:

Hee hee naughty! Bet your mum had a fit!! Such a big job getting everyone dressed up and lovely for a christening!!

Alicek thanks for warning and for one about finger wow!! Hope u manage to get it sorted , glad it wasnt mindee too!!!

lubeam
19-03-2013, 09:35 AM
No I didn't buy thanks for the heads up , obviously not very safe safety scissors after all eh ?! :)

AliceK
19-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Well this morning I took a long bit from the side, swept it accross her forehead and used hair clips to keep it in place and then some hairspray. She has been warned not to take the hair clips out. I don't foresee it lasting like this all day though, I dread to think what she'll look like by the time she comes out of school. Trouble is she has such a high forehead she can't get away without having a fringe. I'll try an put a photo on later. I have told her teacher what happened, warned her to keep the scissors away from DD incase anyone in her class gets a haircut lol

xxxx

lubeam
19-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Well this morning I took a long bit from the side, swept it accross her forehead and used hair clips to keep it in place and then some hairspray. She has been warned not to take the hair clips out. I don't foresee it lasting like this all day though, I dread to think what she'll look like by the time she comes out of school. Trouble is she has such a high forehead she can't get away without having a fringe. I'll try an put a photo on later. I have told her teacher what happened, warned her to keep the scissors away from DD incase anyone in her class gets a haircut lol

xxxx

Lol good luck :)

AliceK
19-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Pic attached (I think)

lubeam
19-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Awe bless her , she doesn't look too bothered does she ?! Lol :)

skatie
19-03-2013, 10:57 AM
It's definitely going to have to grow out, a headband job me thinks. Hope it grows quickly!

Little miss
19-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Bless her!

RuthJ
19-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Pic attached (I think)

Bless her :)

Becci26
19-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Lol oh bless her, sure she won be doing it again any time soon! Love the specs by the way!

blue bear
19-03-2013, 06:05 PM
She's just going to hate that picture when she is older:magnificent:

dette
19-03-2013, 07:20 PM
i think i may save that photo to stick on my scissor drawer as a warning lol

RachelE
19-03-2013, 07:28 PM
My mindee and her best friend did theirs at school last year - in the reception class!

The reception teacher was really upset as both looked quite bad!

Mindees mum was not happy with mindee - she wasnt mad with teacher, just mindee as she's normally quite sensible!

I have now moved the paper scissors as high as possible!!

My ds did it to my dd when he was about 7/8 and she was about 3 and apparently I did it too!
I think its a rite of passage!

And, she will hate you for the photo later on!
Rachel x

Daisy1956
19-03-2013, 08:08 PM
She looks like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, save the photo until she brings home her first boyfriend. One of my mindees cut her hair a few years ago(luckily at home) she looked hideous and Mum made it worse by making her wear a headband.

AliceK
19-03-2013, 08:23 PM
She looks like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, save the photo until she brings home her first boyfriend. One of my mindees cut her hair a few years ago(luckily at home) she looked hideous and Mum made it worse by making her wear a headband.

Oh dont say that. I've just ordered one for her today :blush:

xxxx

MessybutHappy
19-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Bless her, I love the look of resignation on her face!

Daisy1956
19-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Sorry, head-band was awful(shouldn't say it but Mum had no idea) It didn't suit the child. Rest of hair was short and head-band made it stick out.

twheeler29
19-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Oh dear, didn't know that either.