PDA

View Full Version : Leuvan Scales

Helen Dempster
18-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone.

I attended The Learning and Development workshop on Saturday and one of the topics she touched upon was "The Leuvan scales for Wellbeing and Involvement". I had never heard of these before! I want to include them within my paperwork somewhere, and wondered if any of you use them/have heard of them etc?

Thanks all x

mama2three
18-03-2013, 12:34 PM
This is a good pdf from Plymouthearly years with the scale meanings. I have used them on obs to see how well the activity is 'absorbing' a child or group ,but not consistently. I tend to use the phrases rather than the scale , as after all the lj is a doc mainly for parents so I keep jargon to a minimum.
http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/documents-ldtoolkitleuven.pdf

hectors house
18-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Oh dear - I thought it sounded familar so I googled it and it jogged my memory that had learnt it on a course in January -whoops (in one ear and out the other - obviously my level of involvement should be 0)!

Level 1 - no activity - child appears mentally absent or uninterested and any activity is purely repetition

Level 2 - interrupted activity - child is easily distracted from their actions

Level 3 Functioning at a routine level - child may be listening to story or playing with something but no evidence of concentration, motivation or intense pleasure in it

Level 4 - Activity with intense moments - concentration, excitement, pleasure are seen momentarily throughout the activity

Level 5 - total involvement - seen in continuous intense mental activity. Even if child is sitting motionless or running around it will show in their eyes and facial expressions. The child shows frustration if activity is disturbed or interrupted.

My handout suggests that you try this in our settings - plan an activity for individual child that will support and extend their learning and raise their level of involvement - use the scale to assess learning

nikkiv
18-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone.

I attended The Learning and Development workshop on Saturday and one of the topics she touched upon was "The Leuvan scales for Wellbeing and Involvement". I had never heard of these before! I want to include them within my paperwork somewhere, and wondered if any of you use them/have heard of them etc?

Thanks all x

Where abouts did u attend the training as I did this on Saturday!

manjay
18-03-2013, 02:00 PM
It was developed by Ferre Laevers who is a well known childhood theorist. Lots to be found by googling:thumbsup:

mrstom
18-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Where abouts did u attend the training as I did this on Saturday!

Me too!! I wonder if we were all in the same conference room???

nikkiv
19-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Mine was at Barnsgate manor near Uckfield!