PDA

View Full Version : Got my first expereince of 5 under 5 tomorrow!

Mouse
18-03-2013, 09:51 AM
I usually have 4 anyway on a Tuesday, but another mum has asked if her child can come for a couple of hours extra tomorrow as she has an appointment to go to.
I'll only have the overlap for 1.5hrs at the most and they're all children who already know each other, so I'm not particularly daunted by it. It'll be interesting to see how it goes though & whether or not it's something I'd want to do on a more regular basis (I doubt it!).

hectors house
18-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Good luck with that! I have 5 children over course of week - 4 of them come on a Monday, I suppose I would manage if the extra one came as well, but wouldn't be able to go out in car, sit them at table together or get all little ones sleeping at same time - but like you say if they all know each other and you know them really well it should be do-able.

jackie 7
18-03-2013, 10:49 AM
It will be Interesting. I think. Organisation will be the most important thought. Not sure if you would want to do it too often.

Lincsminder
18-03-2013, 11:47 AM
So long as they are all over 3 I don't find this an issue at all especially if they all know each other. I often have 4 here as my partners daughter comes a lot and he works form home so she plays with the mindies whilst he work. I just have to plan well and make sure everything is prepared in advance such as dinners. However I really wouldn't want to be looking after 2 babies and 2x 2 year old, you would spend all day feeding and changing nappies, dinner time would difficult if they all needed help feeding.

Mouse
18-03-2013, 12:11 PM
These will be 12mths, 17mths, 23mths, 2.5yrs & 3.5yrs.

It'll only be a cross over of 1.5hrs max in the morning and the 12mth old will probably sleep for an hour of that! The only meal will be a snack. We don't need to go out anywhere other than in the garden, so i don't really envisage any problems. They all know our routines & they all get on well, so in a way it'll be nice having them all here to play together.

sarah707
18-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I think if you are very organised and totally available to them (go to the loo first!!) it will probably be ok.

For me it would be times like preparing meals, if a child was ill etc that things could all go pear shaped.

I will be thinking of you! :D

RuthJ
18-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Wow, good luck! You'll be fine for 1.5 hours I'm sure!

jelly jiggles
18-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Oooohhh! Let us know how you get on. I will be in a position to have 5 Los after Easter only on am school run. With a quad pushchair and 1 walking. Gonna be fun. Good luck! X

Mouse
19-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Well, I survived and, more importantly, so did the children :laughing:

It was only an overlap of 1hr 15mins, so not long at all really. The children all just played as normal, but there did seem to be an awful lot of them :laughing:
Technically I have the required floorspace for that many children, but it was too much to have that many on a regular basis. They didn't have as much room as normal, although it didn't seem to bother them.

I have to be honest though, I didn't really enjoy it. I felt that my role was purely a caring, practical role - nappy changes, drinks, supervising play. I wasn't as laid back & relaxed as I am normally and everything seemed too organised (or maybe that was just me being overly prepared!) I don't think 5 children would allow for the same spontineity that I am used to. With 3 or 4 we can pretty much do what we want & go where we want to, but with 5 that wouldn't be possible.

So, while I am now happy that I would be able to mange 5 children for short times occassionally, it's not something I would want to do on a permanent basis!

KatieFS
19-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Well done! I have 3x 2-18 months tues and weds and I struggle sometines!

JCrakers
19-03-2013, 02:21 PM
I had five yesterday and five today for a three hour overlap.

Ages were 4,3,3,14m, 7m.

Had a lovely day yesterday although frazzled. The ages work quite well but I wouldn't do it all day. I couldn't go out within the three hours I had them so was confined to the house. I took four to toddler group this morning which was manageable due to the fact I know the children very well and the oldest three are capable of being independent.

Glad you survived :)

emma04
19-03-2013, 02:37 PM
I start with five in January 14! A long way off yet so anything could change (3 are in agreement - contracts in place and 1 is uncertain at present - the other one is my one dd) but really looking forward to the challenge (think im a bit odd!!)

Tue am - 2yrs, 3yrs, 3yrs
Wed am & pm - 1yr, 2yrs, 3yrs, 3yrs, 3yrs (All 3yr olds with be at preschool 9-12)
Thu am & pm - 1yr, 2yrs, 3yrs, 3yrs, 3yrs (All 3yr olds with be at preschool 9-12)
Fri am & pm - 1yr, 2yrs, 3yrs, 3yrs, 3yrs (Two 3yr olds with be at preschool 9-12)

This will be a result of providing continuity of care.

Memina
19-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Had 5 today too!!!! 13m, 15m, 2x 2yrs and 3yrs.

At 28 weeks pregnant im so shattered I could cry!!!! I only have 2yr old and 2x 3 yr old who I collected from preschool and will drop one on the way on the school run. But I'm so ready for a nap.

I do it every Tuesday.

SammyL
19-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I have 5 under 3, 3 days a week. Admittedly I do have an assistant but I recently had to write an emergency variation & found that I loved being with them on my own. It was much more relaxed - I had everything prepped & ready for the day before they arrived but we had loads of fun.

I couldn't go out with them all though & do really need an assistant to be practical x

emma04
19-03-2013, 02:53 PM
I have 5 under 3, 3 days a week. Admittedly I do have an assistant but I recently had to write an emergency variation & found that I loved being with them on my own. It was much more relaxed - I had everything prepped & ready for the day before they arrived but we had loads of fun.

I couldn't go out with them all though & do really need an assistant to be practical x

Luckily our toddler groups are all in the morning, so will be dropping the 3 off at preschool and then heading to toddler group with two! When you look at it this way.... It doesn't seem so bad (i currently attend toddler groups with 3 or 4 !!)

JCrakers
19-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes I agree, although we had a lovely time inside we couldn't go out. :)

mumof3
20-03-2013, 08:11 PM
How are you allowed 5 under 5?

JCrakers
20-03-2013, 08:18 PM
New guidelines/variation rules that came Into effect sept 12 :)

Not sure about Wales though

mumof3
20-03-2013, 08:33 PM
That's only for continuity of care though isn't it?

SammyL
20-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Yep only for continuity of care.

Had problems recently & resulted in having to let my assistant go so had to do emergency variation for a couple of days a week for 2 weeks

Mouse
20-03-2013, 08:41 PM
That's only for continuity of care though isn't it?

Yes. Mine are for continuity of care. I already had a variation from Ofsted (granted before Sept 2012) to have 4 under 5 when one mum needed to send her child an extra day. Then I granted myself an exception to have a 5th child for 3 hours on a day he doesn't usually come. All the children are existing children needing to add or swap days.

SammySplodger
21-03-2013, 09:46 AM
I used to look after 5 at once (three siblings and my own 2) and I always used to prep as much as I possibly could the night before. Lunch would be in the fridge in boxes (including my own).

While the oldest 2 were at school, I just used to go out as much as possible with the other 3 (all boys with loads of energy). I actually found it easier to go to the toilet while we were out at toddler group because I used to take everyone into the disabled loo with a double buggy. It's the practical stuff like that that can make it a hassle though!

Good luck! :-)

Hatchlings
22-03-2013, 11:22 PM
I usually have 4 anyway on a Tuesday, but another mum has asked if her child can come for a couple of hours extra tomorrow as she has an appointment to go to.
I'll only have the overlap for 1.5hrs at the most and they're all children who already know each other, so I'm not particularly daunted by it. It'll be interesting to see how it goes though & whether or not it's something I'd want to do on a more regular basis (I doubt it!).

I have full 5 under 8 yrs on a mon night after school 3 siblings 1 other & 1 oy own they all go same school but its age range 2 x3yrs 2x5yrs 1 x 7yrs they are great we normally do some messy play that day as cant much at home the 3 siblings say together haha I love it.:jump for joy: