PDA

View Full Version : 1 yr old screams and cries

Olivia's mum
18-03-2013, 08:16 AM
So I have always been able to leave my DH in the lounge while I get a drink go to the loo etc.
I am having 1 yr old who knows me very well, but is a very whiny baby. Her mum gets frustrated by how 'princessy' (her words) she can be.
But I am now at a loss what to do as every time I even get near the gate to pop into the kitchen etc. she starts to cry and shout, if I take longer than a few seconds she works her self up into such a state she has started to be sick. (I am only in a small 2 bed, so not out of her sight for more than a couple of mins max!) Also my DD is now going up to her and pulling and patting her, which in turn makes her screaming worse as she doesn't like being pawed either!
Any suggestions on how I can manage this as I am now getting to the point where I feel like I can't even go grab a quick drink without having to deal with the results of her tantrum.

Nicola Carlyle
18-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Have you tried singing? May sound daft but if she can hear you when she can't see you it may help. Maybe it won't be instant but in time it can help. It is just something that she will have to get used to and it can take a while. Maybe try playing peek a boo games gradually edging further and further away allowing you to leave the room but still talking to her if you know what I mean. x

Olivia's mum
18-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Yes I have been trying that, my little girl doesnt help she pulls at her clothes when she is creating as she doesnt like it which in turn makes her worse. I did put cbeebies on when i went to get my other one up from her nap which worked she didnt notice I have left the room and was fine when I came back. it was short lived though just had to sweep the floor after lunch as they flung all their food on the floor! :) so she screamed the whole time even though she could see me from the lounge and I was peeka-booing around the corner for the part where she couldn't in the end I gave in and just brought her in the kitchen with me. :(

sarah707
18-03-2013, 06:02 PM
It's very common at this age and you did the right thing taking the child with you.

I would take the little one everywhere - except maybe the loo - to ensure they are happy and feel secure with you.

The phase won't last forever and there will be something else to worry about soon!! :laughing: :D

merry
18-03-2013, 06:47 PM
I've got an 8 month old mindee doing this at the minute, I keep him with me as much as I can. I've set up a pushchair in the kitchen doorway so he can see me while I'm cooking, and if I have to go anywhere, taking another one to the toilet/making a drink etc, I take him along too. I've bought a sling so I can carry him hands free. It does make life a bit more difficult and things do take longer, but it's worth it not to have to listen to him being so upset. I wouldn't see it as 'princessy' or throwing tantrums, it's a stage of development lots of children go through, and the more you can help them feel secure, hopefully the sooner it will pass.

:)

Olivia's mum
19-03-2013, 09:17 AM
thanks, just to emphasis i did say those were mum's descriptions not mine.

I have decided to change my layout so that I can have the lounge/kitchen freeflow with a gate that I can close for safety if I need to on the kitchen. (at the moment I have a room divider that keeps them safe from the stairs, heater and kitchen but I am thinking of moving it so that it covers the stairs and heater only that way I can nip in and out of the kitchen and hopefully she will soon settle down.
so much to learn still so thank you for sharing :blush: