PDA

View Full Version : Very Angry

poppykins
17-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I was looking after a 1 year old with severe separation anxiety it was so severe that he wouldn't eat, drink, play and was so upset all day crying from 8am-5:30pm two days a week. I tried everything from cuddling him, playing with him, taking him out in the buggy, nothing would console him.

I consulted both parents and advised them that perhaps a more one-to-one setting would be better for him and raised my concerns about him not eating/drinking. They knew he was crying all day because I would contact them to let them know or tell them when they got home every day, but they never rang once to check he was ok or had settled or even a text message.

I tried for as long as I could and eventually gave them 4 weeks notice and now his father is being very nasty. He has tried saying that the settling period wasn't long enough although it was a bit unfortunate because my boiler packed up and I had to put off that week settling in because it was freezing and the week before that the baby was ill. He did do a few weeks settling in though.

He has since said that I was unprofessional for sending the notice in writing which is what we are meant to do, he keeps saying I have told them not to bring the baby back for the notice period, which I have not said and was willing to see out the notice and even had the cheek to send me an essay of an email today, how I should run my business - the cheek of it!!!! I've done childminding for six years.

These kind of parents make you feel like not doing the job anymore!!!! :angry::angry:

bunyip
18-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Sounds like you're well rid of that family.

You know you're good - they don't know when they're well off.

Hope you feel better soon. :group hug:

Nicola Carlyle
18-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Huge hugs. You have given notice now and you have done it the right way as far as I am concerned. Unusable near have notice (only been minding 6 months) but if I was going to then I would put it in writing like you have done. I do feel that a lot if parents feel its their god given right to call the shots and dictate to you once you are minding their children but by the sounds of it you have communicated really well so what were they expecting? I think they may have taken very personal for whatever reason as a lot of parents do and instead of admitting that their child will not settle with you they are making out that you are the problem and not their child. It's a shame really as it is the child who will suffer. You have tried and done everything you can and as all childminders know, sometimes its just not meant to be. I think this will be a lucky escape if you know what I mean. Wait until everyone calms down a bit then then talk about it face to face. I do find that some people can hide behind emails and texts etc but actually don't have the balls to speak face to face. Let us know what happens. X

skatie
18-03-2013, 11:02 AM
That's so nasty, hugs! I think you've given it a jolly good try and that you have to Make the hard decision on what is best for you and your setting. I have a crier so I appreciate how draining and exhausting it is. If the parents can be so horrible to you now then I think you should count your blessings and put them behind you.

nikkiv
18-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Try to ignore the comments I had a similar situation I battled on for nearly 9 months and I promised myself I would never do it again not fair on the child, the other children or me! She has gone on to a nursery and this obviously suits her better as she has really settled! I remember mum and dad getting wry cross one day as she had been even worse than usual and couldn't see to any of the other children they said I was being selfish and heartless and why couldn't I have just picked her up!!! As if I hadn't tried everything in the book and things that weren't in the book how dare I!!!!!

smurfette
19-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you're well rid of that family.

You know you're good - they don't know when they're well off.

Hope you feel better soon. :group hug:

What he said! Hugs xx