PDA

View Full Version : New child - advice on how to approach other setting for info

lisbet
17-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Yet another question from me! :o

I have a 2yr old starting with me for 2 days a week and they already have a place at an LA nursery for 2 days a week. How would you suggest I go about working in partnership with the nursery to make sure that a) I get a good understanding of this child's starting points, and b) we can share info about this child's Learning Journey in the future?

Ask the child's mum for permission and then write them a letter introducing myself as the child's new childminder...but then what??:confused:

VeggieSausage
17-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Initially I would do a general letter of introduction and include any plans you have over the next few weeks/term eg We will be celebrating Easter by making Easter bonnets etc. request they forward any planning etc so that you can support what child x is doing at nursery in your setting.

Then I usually hear nothing from the nursery, so I ask parents for a copy of any newsletters etc and phone them.

Every few months I send a sheet with what child x has been enjoying in my setting and what next step we will be working on and what our plans for the next quarter are.

I have one child at a nursery who are very good at forwarding things (as I don't do the drop off or pick up and the family using that nursery are good at giving me copies of stuff, all the other nurseries are bloomin useless and give me nothing back) keep trying and continue with the contact regardless of receiving info bak. Ask child what they have been doing and make a note of it, ask mum what they have been doing and make a note of it. You must get the name of their key worker though as part of EYFS....good luck....

Make sure you keep a copy of all things you send and note any attempted contact to show Ofsted you are trying and doing your bit....

Mouse
17-03-2013, 08:26 PM
I currently have 2 mindees who also attend other settings. It was the other way round though in that the chldren have been with me for a long time before starting at their playgroups. I sent a letter of introduction, explaining who I was, how I was sure they understood that as part of the EYFS we are required to work together, how it would be useful if they could let me know the name of the keyworkers and that perhaps they could suggest a way of sharing information that would work for them. I included a current assessment summary with a section on future planning I have for mindees.

I've never heard anything back from either setting :panic:

I go online & find their newsletters and I ask mums what the children are doing, which I note in their files. For example, at one of the pre-school the children are expected to go in, find their name card (which lo can do as we've done that here for a long time & he can easily recognise his name), and write their name out on a piece of paper. Poor little thing couldn't do it at all and was getting quite upset about it, so I have been working on his writing with him. He's doing so well... I'm sure pre-school will take the credit for it even though they haven't actually done anything to help :mad:

In los folder I've written a note about what mum has said to me about his writing & I've documented what I have done to help him. I don't think there's much more I can do if pre-schol won't contact me.

The Juggler
17-03-2013, 08:47 PM
I have an introduction letter from me to other settings plus a sheet to parents which I ask them if they would like me to provide any info to nursery and whether they'd be happy for us to have open, 3 way information sharing. If parents sign the sheet to agree, I give a copy to nursery along with my intro letter :thumbsup:

lisbet
17-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone - great tips :thumbsup: and fingers crossed that the nursery are helpful :)