PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do...

Sadie's Mum
30-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Firstly sorry it's so long and I've rattled on a bit!!

I had a parent come to see me today about childcare who is moving into the area. She has 2 children (a 3 year old girl and 18 month old boy) and she's looking for care from September. She's going to be working 3 days a week (prob Mon-Wed) 8am-5pm. She knows I only have 1 under 5 space available but said that she couldn't find a childminder that had 2 under 5 spaces anyway so still wanted to come and see me and she was also looking at nurserys, another childminding friend of mine and a pre-school for her daughter. She wasn't sure which child she would want me to mind yet.

Before she came to see me she went to see the pre-school that my own daughter goes to and fell in love with it there which was great as I do pick ups from there anyway for my daughter so it looked like if she wanted me it would be for her daughter and we could try and tie in their sessions there so they were there at the same time rather than me running up and down all day long. From this I expected it to have her before a session, drop her off and then pick her up and have her until she went home. Which would have been fine. She also wanted a term time only contract which I said I wouldn't do for an under 5 as chances are I wouldn't be able to fill an under 5 space for just the holidays but I said I would just charge half fees during the holidays.

She rang me earlier to say she would like me to have her daughter BUT on a Monday and Tuesday she would take her to the pre-school in the morning, she would be there for breakfast club, the morning session, stay for the lunch club and then the afternoon session (My daughter will be doing the afternoon session on these days). On a Wednesday she would again take her for the breakfast club, then morning session and then I would pick her up after the morning session along with my daughter who will be doing the morning session on a Wednesday. So that means looking after her for 2 hours on a Monday and Tuesday and 5.5 hours on a Wednesday so a grand total of 9.5 hours per week.

Now we are very quiet in this area at the moment so I am thinking that I should take it as I could do with that extra bit of money but don't really want to tie up my only free under 5 space on those 3 days for just 9.5 hours work as I'm sure it's unlikely if someone else came along wanting those days that they would only want until 2/2.30pm so that I could still have them and be able to still pick her up at 3pm.

My support childminder reckons I should take it and then if something better comes up then just give notice which is what I am feeling but then I'd just feel a b!tch knowing that I am just waiting until something better comes along and then letting her down (which could never happen anyway as calls are very few and far between round here at the moment!)

berkschick
30-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I would actually ask her if I could have both children.

I would then write to OFSTED, say you have taken the baby on but now Mum has been let down by the minder who was meant to have the 3 year old and that as it is only for a few hours a week, termtime only could you have a variation pretty please? :D

katickles
30-06-2008, 06:58 PM
You could maybe think of charging her a mnimum hours fee for the short days?

I think that these would be difficult hours to fill but am inclinded to agree with your support childminder. You never know it might turn into more hours?

Could you not mind the 18month old instead? Where is she placing him?

Lou
30-06-2008, 06:58 PM
I agree damn good idea there Debbie x

Sadie's Mum
30-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I would actually ask her if I could have both children.

I would then write to OFSTED, say you have taken the baby on but now Mum has been let down by the minder who was meant to have the 3 year old and that as it is only for a few hours a week, termtime only could you have a variation pretty please? :D

That's a good idea! I wonder if the Mum would go for that - how long do Ofsted usually take to decide these sort of things as I know she wants to get as organised for September as soon as possible. And do you think Ofsted would agree?

Lou
30-06-2008, 07:05 PM
if you tell them you need to know asap then they will normally hurry it a little.

Worth a try definatly

Sadie's Mum
30-06-2008, 07:06 PM
You could maybe think of charging her a mnimum hours fee for the short days?

I think that these would be difficult hours to fill but am inclinded to agree with your support childminder. You never know it might turn into more hours?

Could you not mind the 18month old instead? Where is she placing him?

I'm not sure where she is planning on placing him as she was seeing a few places. I would have preferred to have had him instead as it's more hours but I think because she wants to send her daughter to the pre-school my own daughter goes to she thought it would be easier as I will be going there anyway to do pick ups and also her daughter and my daughter seemed to get on really well this afternoon when she was round and I also mind for another little girl of a similar age (7 months younger)

berkschick
30-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I had a variation approved week before last.

I sent it on the Monday and they rang to approve it on the Friday.

That was for 4 under 5, 5 days a week for 4 hours a day.

I also did one for twins I took on. I only had one place but Mum obviously needed two.

So I took one on then wrote to OFSTED asking for a variation to enable me to take on the other. I got it approved no problem,

Let me know if you need any help writing the letter :thumbsup:

Sadie's Mum
30-06-2008, 07:14 PM
I had a variation approved week before last.

I sent it on the Monday and they rang to approve it on the Friday.

That was for 4 under 5, 5 days a week for 4 hours a day.

I also did one for twins I took on. I only had one place but Mum obviously needed two.

So I took one on then wrote to OFSTED asking for a variation to enable me to take on the other. I got it approved no problem,

Let me know if you need any help writing the letter :thumbsup:

ooo that's pretty quickly approved then! I think I'll definitely give the Mum and ring and put that to her and see what she says! Thanks and if she does want me to go down that route I will def be asking you for help writing the letter if that's ok!!

Heaven Scent
30-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Just to say good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

sarah707
30-06-2008, 08:14 PM
My support childminder reckons I should take it and then if something better comes up then just give notice

I think that is dreadful advice and totally unprofessional.

It's also totally against the ethos of the eyfs which talks a lot about continuity of care.

I can understand the predicament you are in, but I don't think it's right of someone you are turning to for advice to suggest you treat a child like that either :(

I like Berks' idea though! :D

Sadie's Mum
01-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Just a little up-date for you all! I have spoken to the parent again and she was over the moon that I might be able to care for both children! She has been round again this morning and signed her 18 month old son up and I'm going to apply for a variation for to have her 3 year old as well. I am so happy as this will be so much more beneficial to me and the parent! Fingers crossed I get it!!

I shall take Berkschick up on her very kind offer of help! :D :D

Heaven Scent
01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Thats great hope it all works out well 4 u:clapping: :clapping:

elizabeth
01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Hope it all works out for you. Good Luck

Pedagog
01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Great news, great for the children too, and easier for mum.

Donkey
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
let us know how you get on with the variation :)