PDA

View Full Version : emergency care rules

Boo_Bear
17-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi.
I have a dilemma I have a 10mth old mindee and my own child who is 3mths old, took on 10mth old before my baby was born as a temp while mum sorted things, but has become permanent due to circumstances. Well any way I have had a parent call me today and ask for emergency care for her child for 3wks as her childminder had let her down and she is back at work.. now the problem is the child is 7mths old.. I did say no.. but she broke down in tears and said she has noone to have her baby as all places are full or too far away.. so I said I would look into it for her but didnt promise anything. ..
Now what i want to know is can I take this child on an emergency basis?
I have 10mth old from 12.30pm till 2.15pm 4 days a week. And my daughter all day but dad is home at 2.30. The 7mth old wants care from 7.30-1.30pm wk 1 and 11-5 wk2....
Does this mean even though it would be emergency cover for 3wks untill permanent place is found else where I cannot have this child? Xx
Thanks

jo.jo76
17-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Sorry, but I would say no you can't, even though it is only temporary it would still be classed as new business, the child is not already with you and needing continuity of care.

Christi
17-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I think that there can be exceptions, for such cases as a parent being unable to find other suitable childcare. You would ave to be happy with it yourself and able toprove how you would care for them and what would your procedure be for getting that many lttle ones out in an emergency.

Bluebell
17-03-2013, 03:22 PM
I think there can be exceptions for example emergency care and you have your own baby would be ok but you already have 2 under 1's - I think 3 under 1's is not an acceptable exception - even if only temporary!

I always feel the same - wish to help everyone - but its not down to you to sort other problems.

I'd also be having a chat with the mum who sends her 10 month old to you for less than 2 hours - seems a shame to have to turn business away for 2 hours in the middle of the day. Or perhaps as a favour to you the mum of the 10 month old might be able to have time off or make alternative arrangements for those couple of weeks - like if her and the dad happened to have holiday time due or something. It depends what kind of relationship / contract / arrangement you have with that mum that was supposed to be only temporary.