PDA

View Full Version : Baby slings

Pudding Girl
30-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Does anyone here use a baby sling ( the cloth self tying type rather than a mothercare one etc) for baby mindees?

I may have a 9mo ( meeting Mum tomorrow) and thought this would be an ideal thing to have in for when I have all 3, two in the double and baby on my hip.

Anyone do this? Recommend a certain type of sling ( or could make one myself?) What do you do when it rains or is really cold?

Lou
30-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I would think a 9 month old would be a little big for a sling or certainly would after not very long.

Personally i would always put 2 in buggy, and one on a buggy board thats what i always do.

button68
30-06-2008, 07:27 PM
**Buttons throws her arm enthusiastically into the air and shout "Me, Me, Me!!!!"** :D

I use a ring sling with my mindees all the time. At the moment you will see me plodding the Wirral with either a 7 month old, a 16 month old or a 2 and a half year old in one :thumbsup:

I have had a sling addiction since DD was born and my sling of choice is www.zolowear.com :p

These are soooooo comfy and easy to use I just 'pop' a little one in and off I go. When I am looking after the 6 month old and the 'no-walking' 16 month old it is invaluable.

I even have a dolls ring sling in my dressing up box :laughing:

Edit: got so excited at the thought of slings didn't get to answer the rest of your question :blush:

If it's absolutley lashing down I push the pram with one hand and hold umbrella with the other, but on the whole I wear a rain proof jacket and cover 'sling baby' with a waterproof hat.

Don't worry about the cold (babe will be as sung-as-a-bug-in-a-rug, in extreme weather I have just put legwarmers on DD) worry more about the being too warm 'cos they are so cosy.

Chell
30-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I am going to buy a Calin Bleu wrap (http://www.calinbleu.com) for when my own baby is born.

www.slingmeet.co.uk is a good place to get advice on baby wearing if nobody on this forum can help.

www.bitsforbairns.co.uk has a wide range of slings. If you emailed the owner, Nicki, I'm sure she would tell you what type os best for your needs.

Blackhorse
30-06-2008, 08:18 PM
I have a calinbleu wrap myself. It is a warmer one and it is lovely and cozy. It is very comfy to wear and my daughter loves it too. You just need a few times to practice with it.

I went to a few sling meetings as well. That was a good way of seeing different types of slings so you can see what is on offer as most of them you will have to buy online as shops tend to only sell the ready-made strap on slings...

On the internet you can also find sling jackets. they have an extra zipp at the front so you can cover baby if you are wearing it when it is raining or really windy. (it has usually another zipp at the back if you carry baby at the back)

I would definately recommend slings!!:clapping:

Blackhorse
30-06-2008, 08:19 PM
oh and the one I have can be used up to about 2 years of age...

Tatia
30-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Oooooohhhhh! One of my passions! I love my Maya sling! I bought mine but here's a link to aking your own if you're handy that way. me - not so much.

http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php

And her's a link for buying one in the UK.

http://www.naturalchild.co.uk/acatalog/Maya_Wrap_Sling.html

Pudding Girl
30-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I would think a 9 month old would be a little big for a sling or certainly would after not very long.

nah you can use slings upto 3 or 4 :D

Thanks for the input guys! I saw a very pretty mei tai on Ebay, that is calling me ;)

I came across a good website earlier that you babywearers might find useful too - www.rumplebums.co.uk

also I have been jsut watching some youtube vids of different ways to babywear, it looks very very cool!

Re the jackets, I did see one in Vertbaudet ( but it minged!!) so there must be ones out there - am still worrying about the Highlands of Scotland winters with a sling..:panic:

Lou
30-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I stand corrected. it is a long time since my own were babies, and i was to be honest thinking of the logistics of wearing a sling and pushing double buggy,

good luck finding one

button68
30-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Funnily enough I found the coat I wore when pregnant with my bump zipped up over me and DD in the sling :thumbsup:

Pudding Girl
30-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I stand corrected. it is a long time since my own were babies, and i was to be honest thinking of the logistics of wearing a sling and pushing double buggy,

good luck finding one

Yeah I think I would rather not struggle with a triple, and all are too young for buggy board ( not that mine fits on my double anyway lol)

I don't mind looking like a hippy dippy woman hahaha

Tatia
01-07-2008, 07:16 AM
I can't remember if I've ever told this story before but when DD was little, just a few months, we were at London Dungeons and she was in her Maya sling and so, as it was dark, I turned discreetly away to latch her on to my breast. Nobody could tell at all except for the tour person, standing above us on a stage and she looks down, does a doubletake and then announces to everyone "Yon wench there is suckling her babe!":laughing:

I don't embarrass easily but that was a bit much, even for me, a real lactivist and baby wearer! Especially as it was the first time I was meeting my husband's eldest daughter!!

LeeAnn
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
I bought mine from ebay, the seller makes them herslef and they are fab. Mine is a ring sling and you can choose from a wide range of material, the seller is herbalbaybee and the sling is strong and very beautiful.

My DD is 2 and she still fits in it and there is a lot of material left over so it will fit a good range of sizes and size of baby/toddler

also I was just wondering about whether I would be able to use a sling or baby carrier for a minded LO

x x x x

Pedagog
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
My youngest son was in the ring sling until about a year and then into a baby back pack.