PDA

View Full Version : parent visits and leaves child....

mushpea
16-03-2013, 11:19 AM
After 10mins of meeting me a mum left her child to pop home and accept a delivery! , I'm in shock but I need the work so hoping it will win me the contract

WibbleWobble
16-03-2013, 11:28 AM
she has left the child with you???!

Are you working today?

Do you have any info on the child?

is she thinking this is a freebie?

i hope you are charging her!!!

I am sorry Mush but that is not on!

wibble the "now i have heard it all" x

TNT
16-03-2013, 11:36 AM
:panic:
That's unbelievable. How can people be so reckless with their childs safety, no offence Mushpea but you could be anyone! Did she even look at your CRB etc? Not that it would make the situation better.

mushpea
16-03-2013, 11:46 AM
No offence taking, I certainly wouldnt have done it with my kids, no info cause I was so shocked I just sort of said ok and of she went, shes left a nappy and wipes and a spare top but I think its weird and yes I could be anyone but then I suppose in her eyes I am a childminder so should be a safe person to leave her child with and if she comes back and child is happy maybe thats all the confimaton she wants, i guess she could have arranged a day for her to come and stay with me but she would still have been leaving her for the first time although I would have more info I guess,
I do work some Saturdays Wibble and had no plans so not fussed, I would only have been sat her doing planning for next week and if it gets me the buisness then great, knowing my luck she will come back and say thanks and goodbye never to be seen agian

Mouse
16-03-2013, 11:51 AM
So how long did mum say she was going to be? I hope it's not the sort of delivery where they say it could be any time between 7am-7pm! You could be in for a very long day :p

Have you got contact details for the child? An address, phone number etc?

Fingers crossed you get some work from this & mum isn't just using you as free childcare for the day.

caz3007
16-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Goodness me, I have heard it all now. I hope she is going to sign up and not using you. Good luck and will keep an eye to see what happened

mushpea
16-03-2013, 12:38 PM
well, she came she signed she left, she starts in a fortnight, 3 full days a week, I am in shock but pleased,

Mouse
16-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Phew...I'm just relieved she came back. I had visions of you having an extra guest this weekend :laughing:

Well done on getting the work :clapping:

safcfluff
16-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Nothing ceases to amaze me as regards childminding. I'm pleased you got some business though. I've often said to peopleI could write a book about things that have happened during 30 years of childminding!

lizduncan72
16-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Glad it worked out well for you

rosebud
16-03-2013, 01:36 PM
I had this a few years ago too, although not on a weekend! Mum came for a visit with child and said she needed to pop to the doctors could she leave her? I made her fill in all forms - including contract before she went though!

Loushah
16-03-2013, 01:43 PM
well, she came she signed she left, she starts in a fortnight, 3 full days a week, I am in shock but pleased,

Congratulations....strange but at least she has signed and lo is starting soon.

My friends / family do it all the time, come visit me on weekend then just "pop" out somewhere and leave lo's with me but to be fair I love it and it is nice they trust me enough to do it!

Allie
16-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I would have said no unless she had already signed contracts as I believe no contract = no insurance

Allie

chezzagriff
16-03-2013, 04:01 PM
I definitely would have got the contract and personal info form filled in first, but I am glad that it got you the work. From now on though definitely put your foot down as you dont want her to start asking for 'favours' :thumbsup:

beachgirl29
17-03-2013, 08:07 AM
I guess its hard to say no when you want new business but i would of ask for contact and child information sheet first even if she was in a rush. what would you of done if she didn't come back because she was in an accident or the child took ill or hurt? sorry to be so negative but great news she's signed up now just hope she doesn't expect lots of last min favours. did you charge her?

:-)

mushpea
17-03-2013, 10:32 AM
No I didn't charge her, I have a two hour free settling in session any way, it was all sort of a bit of a shock and I didn't really think but have learnt for next time! I had her phone number but had she nit have come back I would have called police or ss,

bunyip
17-03-2013, 10:49 AM
One the one hand, you may have got a scatty mum or one who may turn out to have unreasonable expectations of 'little favours' over time.

On the other hand, you may have the start of an excellent relationship with a mum who trust you implicitly from day one.

Whichever way it works out, I'm sure it's well within your abilities to handle it, Mushpea. :thumbsup:

Whilst I personally wouldn't have done it, I'm not going to criticise. This is no different from CMs who offer 'settling sessions' with no paperwork in place. Anyway, as the child of a single mum in the 60s/70s, I barely knew any of the neighbours my mum left me with when she had a crisis. I couldn't call Childline cos it didn't exist, and I couldn't call social services cos we didn't have a phone. :rolleyes:

WibbleWobble
17-03-2013, 11:05 AM
One the one hand, you may have got a scatty mum or one who may turn out to have unreasonable expectations of 'little favours' over time.

On the other hand, you may have the start of an excellent relationship with a mum who trust you implicitly from day one.

Whichever way it works out, I'm sure it's well within your abilities to handle it, Mushpea. :thumbsup:

Whilst I personally wouldn't have done it, I'm not going to criticise. This is no different from CMs who offer 'settling sessions' with no paperwork in place. Anyway, as the child of a single mum in the 60s/70s, I barely knew any of the neighbours my mum left me with when she had a crisis. I couldn't call Childline cos it didn't exist, and I couldn't call social services cos we didn't have a phone. :rolleyes:

were you a child once Bunyip?

wibble the puzzled x

bunyip
17-03-2013, 01:00 PM
were you a child once Bunyip?

wibble the puzzled x

Were? :huh:

Get your tenses right........ Still am really. :D

mushpea
17-03-2013, 05:01 PM

lets hope its the 2nd one, there will certainly be no more little favours , well, not with out payment anyway:D, ooooohhh that sounds so wrong :panic:

I wont be doing it again, she sort of caught me of guard , next time I would say yes of course but you need to sign my permision form and fill out my child record form first!!!
she is a single mum and the weird thing is that she travels 6miles to me then turns round travels the same route back and another 10mile on top to get to work! I am wondering if I am a stop gap untill she finds somone closer or if prehaps the traveling to work and her daughers nurser she did before she moved could have been even further so the distance means nothing to her. oh well, I dunno, its money for a while if nothing else i suppose, theres not much other work around at the moment and hopefully I will impress her enough for her to keep coming

singingcactus
17-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Seriously, have none of you never had someone come to interview, then had the child stay for a while? Really? I am shocked by the shocked reaction to this. The mum sought out an ofsted registered childminder to care for her child (ofsted registered so not just anyone), then once she met mushpea she felt happy enough that this was the childminder for her child, so asked mushpea to spend a couple of hours with the child. Child, and childminder were happy at the end, so mum knows her gut feeling was right and signs the contract.

Sorry but I can't see what was shocking about this. Glad to hear you have a new mindee mushpea, and glad to hear that mum trusted you from the start, sounds like an excellent start to your relationship. My best families have been the ones where the trust and confidence is immediate.

littlemiss60561
17-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Seriously, have none of you never had someone come to interview, then had the child stay for a while? Really? I am shocked by the shocked reaction to this. The mum sought out an ofsted registered childminder to care for her child (ofsted registered so not just anyone), then once she met mushpea she felt happy enough that this was the childminder for her child, so asked mushpea to spend a couple of hours with the child. Child, and childminder were happy at the end, so mum knows her gut feeling was right and signs the contract.

Sorry but I can't see what was shocking about this. Glad to hear you have a new mindee mushpea, and glad to hear that mum trusted you from the start, sounds like an excellent start to your relationship. My best families have been the ones where the trust and confidence is immediate.

I think the shocked but is more to do with the cheek of it rather than the child not being safe with a registered minder? And concern as no insurance unless child record forms filled in.
I think it was a tad cheeky but really please you've got a nice contract! She could have been a serial childminder advantage taker doing the rounds for some freebie trials lol x

MessybutHappy
17-03-2013, 08:26 PM
I was shocked that she left the child, not because she wanted to see how the child settled with the cm which would have been reasonable-ish, but so she could receive a delivery!

She didn't appear to have warned the cm either!

supermumy
17-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I've never had someone come for a interview and than leave the child just like that no!
Thier had been settling in periods after forms et signed
But glad you got job :)

Buttonsjan
18-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Glad it worked out!