PDA

View Full Version : good playdough recipie anyone??

georgeypie07
16-03-2013, 07:48 AM
has anyone got a great playdough recipie? mine always ends up a bit dry? i want to make a couple of batchs of different sensory ones (glitter/porrige oats/scented etc) and give it in little pots as easter presents to my lo's but it always ends up dry as a bone and crumbly! any tips would be brill xx

Houlgated
16-03-2013, 07:59 AM
I love my playdough and as long as this is kept airtight it stays good for weeks/months

1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
half a cup of salt
food colouring (optional)

Place all the ingredients in a saucepan at a low heat. Stir continously until the mixture thickens to a firm dough texture. Knead it to make sure it's all mixed properly.

You can also do it in the microwave but i never have as in my experience microwaved playdough is not as good and doesn't cook evenly so you end up with dry lumpy hits in it.

sarahmc
16-03-2013, 08:03 AM
I have a brilliant one for cooked dough. Keeps for ages if stored in a sealed container.

4 cups plain flour
2cups salt
8 teaspoons of cream of tartar
4cups of water
1/2 cup cooking oil.

Mix all together in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and combines into one lump. Knead when cool.

I add glitter or colourings and flavourings. Once put cocoa powder in. Looked and smelt fab but the LOs did try to eat it as it smelt so delicious!

Little miss
16-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Not tried but sounds good

2 cups flour
Half cup salt
4tsp cream of tartar
2 cups water
2 tbsp baby oil

Follow the cooked method

loocyloo
16-03-2013, 08:31 AM
I love my playdough and as long as this is kept airtight it stays good for weeks/months

1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon cooking oil
half a cup of salt

Place all the ingredients in a saucepan at a low heat. Stir continously until the mixture thickens to a firm dough texture. Knead it to make sure it's all mixed properly.

You can also do it in the microwave but i never have as in my experience microwaved playdough is not as good and doesn't cook evenly so you end up with dry lumpy hits in it.

i make this one, BUT, i put everything in a bowl and add a cup of BOILING water ... stir and it makes playdough !!! and no saucepan to soak !!! i had been making it in a suacepan for over 20 years until i discovered you could just use boiling water !!!! :D

i made some before christmas that is still going strong... kept in sealed container in utility room, and some smeely glittery dough i made for valentines day is just starting to dry out, having been left available for the past 2 weeks ( just put in sealed bag over night )

i've been making it with just melted together jelly - smells wonderful and colours it too!

a friend adds 'angel delight' powder before she adds the water !!!!

MessybutHappy
16-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Someone posted a no cook recipe a while back...it's fab. If your mix is too sticky add more oil.

Houlgated
18-03-2013, 09:45 AM
My almost 3 year old son would play with playdough all day if he could, he loves it. I was thinking of getting him some of the playdoh machine things for his birthday eg the ice cream maker and sweet shop etc. Can anyone tell me if home made playdough works ok in these or will I end up having to pay for actual playdoh?

loocyloo
18-03-2013, 10:05 AM
My almost 3 year old son would play with playdough all day if he could, he loves it. I was thinking of getting him some of the playdoh machine things for his birthday eg the ice cream maker and sweet shop etc. Can anyone tell me if home made playdough works ok in these or will I end up having to pay for actual playdoh?

we've got the 'spaghetti' machine and moulds and my homemade playdough works in those perfectly well. :D

Houlgated
18-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Great thanks. I thought it would but II refuse to buy playdoh when I can make it, especially when the home made stuff is nicer :-)

jackie 7
18-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I thought I had to keep cooked dough in the fridge so cold when it comes out. Great that I don't have to.

Buttonsjan
18-03-2013, 12:50 PM
I do the hot water method too, nice if you empty a fruity tea bag into it. Smells and looks lovely!

lisa1968
18-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Hot water method is fab and a lot quicker-i tried it for the first time in feb half term and its perfect!

gingerjames1
18-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Also try gluten free flour, makes a more rubbery dough and is good if you have a child with a wheat allergy!!! Also use all the different food flavours you can pick up in your local supermarket when getting your food colouring. Also adding dry rice and pasta changes the texture. Mine also like making mr potato heads with all the body parts you get with mr potato head. I use the same methods as below but cook mine in the microwave one minute at a time with a mix in between, does get really hot but mindees enjoy counting down with the microwave and waiting for the bleep!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

lorimac
18-03-2013, 01:22 PM

1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon cooking oil
half a cup of salt

I use the same recipe but have always just used the microwave, never had any problems with it, lasts for weeks as long as its kept airtight!

RachaelStevens
18-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks for this post will have to try making my own im still using what my children have been given

georgeypie07
19-03-2013, 01:18 PM
love the fruit tbag idea!! im going to try that!!! i know i always say it but I LOVE THIS SITE!!!